Best Temp Controlled Mods Under $75

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan85

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Boston
I know what I said, I don't need it quoted for me. My point is a can do without the facepalm just because I don't have the time to spend hours upon hours researching it. If this is your hobby and you enjoy spending hours researching the newest mods and the intricacies of nickel wire vs titanium wire that is your prerogative; I've already stated how I feel about it.

And yes, I have already been looking and learning. It should be pretty evident considering the list I built without anyone's input and the fact there have only been a couple of straggler suggestions in the thread other than the ones I mentioned. Or the fact that I am on here at all, asking for suggestions, for that matter.

Another recommendation

We purchase these mods. We get serious in checking them out and make serious recommendations on Functionality and Build Quality - NOT HYPE

We cannot tell You what is the right choice FOR YOU only what is a good consideration.
Ultimately YOU have to make that choice. We just want you to Be Prepared.:facepalm:

I'm not even sure what you're point is here. You're just making a straw-man point. I never said anything about mods being hype or asked anyone to make a choice for me. I asked for suggestions from people on specific mods based on their experience with them, and if there were any other mods I was missing that fit the cloth of what I was looking for.

I know you can see my join date. I'm not new to this or new here. I buy these mods too. Have been for the past 4+ years. Started on a Bloog. Upgraded to a 510. Upgraded a VMod XL. Upgraded to an MVP 2.0. Stop talking to me like I'm a noob and offer something useful or insert yourself somewhere else.

That said, I received an email from Innokin this morning telling me they hope their temp control mod will be out by the end of this month, so I will probably just wait and see what they come up with before I pull the trigger on anything.

eddiea

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2014
Laguna Niguel, CA USA
I know what I said, I don't need it quoted for me. My point is a can do without the facepalm just because I don't have the time to spend hours upon hours researching it. If this is your hobby and you enjoy spending hours researching the newest mods and the intricacies of nickel wire vs titanium wire that is your prerogative; I've already stated how I feel about it.

And yes, I have already been looking and learning. It should be pretty evident considering the list I built without anyone's input and the fact there have only been a couple of straggler suggestions in the thread other than the ones I mentioned. Or the fact that I am on here at all, asking for suggestions, for that matter.

I'm not even sure what you're point is here. You're just making a straw-man point. I never said anything about mods being hype or asked anyone to make a choice for me. I asked for suggestions from people on specific mods based on their experience with them, and if there were any other mods I was missing that fit the cloth of what I was looking for.

I know you can see my join date. I'm not new to this or new here. I buy these mods too. Have been for the past 4+ years. Started on a Bloog. Upgraded to a 510. Upgraded a VMod XL. Upgraded to an MVP 2.0. Stop talking to me like I'm a noob and offer something useful or insert yourself somewhere else.

That said, I received an email from Innokin this morning telling me they hope their temp control mod will be out by the end of this month, so I will probably just wait and see what they come up with before I pull the trigger on anything.
As with any forum setting, I wouldn't expect all responses to be "to your liking." As you'd expect, some advice is good, some advice comes of out left field...just take it with a grain of salt. I have several mods and most recently bought an IPV D2 which I've been more than satisfied with. You mentioned having a Vmod XL which is a cartomizer-style device that might be as outdated as the date you joined ECF but again that's ok if you've been satisfied with that type of vape. Although I never chose cartomizers, I started with clearomizers but quickly moved onto better equipment in a matter of a week or so, then onto RBAs/RTAs a week or so later - so my progression was much faster than others. Looks like you've already made up your mind and are going with Innokin's upcoming TC mod so that's good, and their "hopefully by the end of the month" statement is welcomed (and interesting at the same time) because quite some time has passed (maybe 2 or 3 months if not more?) since they first announced it. By the way, I presume "hopefully by end of this month" means end of August [today] and not end of September(?).

jordan85

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Boston
I would assume it means end of September but I could be wrong. I'm not in dire need, although my setup is admittedly sorry and outdated. I use the MVP 2.0 with whatever tank it is that it shipped with when I'm at home, but this thing Gripper | Madvapes gets the most use b/c I can conceal it at work easily.

I actually bought an IPV 70w + Subtank mini for myself at one point, but then ended up giving it away to my brother as an early birthday gift. Then I bought my mom an MVP 3.0 w/ Subtank Mini for her birthday. I'm bringing everyone up-to-date except for myself!! haha

I probably would have just gotten that CoolFire except for now the whole temp control thing has me interested, and especially with the way Innoken is hyping this technology as a possible new standard. And unlike many people, I have nothing to lose since I have no significant investment in 510 threaded tanks/technology...

If it's going to be similar form/setup to the Disruptor as all signs seem to point to, I'm all for it. I have no significant investment in batteries and gladly would pay a few bucks more per battery to be able to grab a couple of fully enclosed batteries that I don't have to worry what they are making contact with, and not have to grab a battery charger every time I travel. I mean how many batteries do you really need? I've seen them talking about the new batteries being 3500 mah. Two batteries would be more than enough for me...

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I am looking to buy my first temp controlled mod. I am just trying to get a handle on the best options out there in this price range. Currently, I am considering:

Joyetech EVIC-VTC -- I have concerns regarding Joyetech quality control

IPV4 -- I have one 18650 battery, but with the purchase of three additional batteries this is pushing out of the price range I would like to stick to

IPVD2 -- seems very plasticy looking and not much reviews yet

Eleaf iStick TC40W - I have concerns about Eleaf quality control

Innokin iTC - I love Innokin but no release date or price specified as far as I can tell, and it seems like it may only work with a proprietary Innokin tank if I am understanding correctly

I was just wondering if there are other options out there I am missing, or if anybody had any advice in regards to the devices I listed. Thanks.
I'm using TC exclusively. So far I have one TC mod, a Kangxin mini, and it's working fine plus the fit and finish and build quality are very good AND the little flashlight thingy is useful, I use it regularly (lol). My perception so far is the very low ohm nickel coils means more battery power is used per ml of liquid vaporized, (ohms law). I wouldn't rely on a single cell TC mod in a lot of situations unless the battery can be swaped out. I'm avoiding the IPVd2 because of the non standard recharging plug.

I'm spoiled by the iStick 50w which can go for days firing a 1.6 ohm kanthal coil at 20 watts. I'm shopping for a 2 cell TC mod where the batteries can be replaced. So far most of those devices are larger than I want to carry. I'm also going to see if efficiency can be improved by building a higher ohm coil with titanium wire. If I'm right about titanium I might get an evic 60 watt. I'm leaning towards mods with replacable batteries because of concerns about possible government interference with the ecig market.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
@sofarsogood You might want to take a look at the Cloupor GT. Ni200 and titanium modes, dual 18650s with a magnetic battery door, it's a bit larger than the iStick 50w, about the same size as the eVic VT

Don't let the company name scare you, despite all the panic earlier this year about a few Cloupor Minis having problems, Cloupor does make fairly decent devices. Heck, the problems with the iStick 50w were just as serious and more widespread, but nobody is freaking out about eLeaf.

As for the IPV D2, for me that barrel charger is a non-issue, if I buy a unit with a removable battery, it's so I can swap out cells and charge outside the device. I'm quite happy with the D2, and it replaced my 9 month old Cloupor Mini (still working fine, but 30w and no TC doesn't cut it these days for me) as my pocket workhorse beater mod.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
@sofarsogood You might want to take a look at the Cloupor GT. Ni200 and titanium modes, dual 18650s with a magnetic battery door, it's a bit larger than the iStick 50w, about the same size as the eVic VT
Thanks for the suggestion. The GT doesn't work for me because there's no standard charging port, no charging port at all actually. It's taller than the iStick 50w. Height is important to me for pocket carry at work, on the motorcycle, and a few other situations. I use rda's and prefer shorter ones for the same reason. There's a TC mod called the cube or square or something. They tried hard to make it as short as possible but the price is too lavish for me right now.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Thanks for the suggestion. The GT doesn't work for me because there's no standard charging port, no charging port at all actually. It's taller than the iStick 50w. Height is important to me for pocket carry at work, on the motorcycle, and a few other situations. I use rda's and prefer shorter ones for the same reason. There's a TC mod called the cube or square or something. They tried hard to make it as short as possible but the price is too lavish for me right now.

Yes, I saw your Join date. sorry, often irrelevant. some never go past EGO's/clearos.
Not I wasn't attempting to be rude. Your words, my interpritions - sorry.
Read your choices to consider gave my response.

Looking at your current requirements I still recommend the D2.
Not because I have one, but because it most closely fits your standards.
Mod is Solid, good hand feel with small footprint. 75w of kick in power mode. respectable 50J/572F in Temp mode
SS threaded 510 with 23mm footprint.
Spring loaded center pin.
Quick battery change and on board charging.

Obviously you need to look at the spec comparisons and decide for yourself if it is right or no.

* Innokin TC will Require Innokin Tanks - Special fitment.
They are supposed to be working on an adapter for standard 510 in power mode,
Customers demands. Not yet available.

IPV4 is way out of spec in size and possibly weight(when cruising)
IPV4S seems to have all the kinks worked out. IPV4 had serious safety issues.

Best of luck in finding what you need!

jordan85

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Boston
No worries, I apologize as well. I shouldn't have came out of the gate that aggressive, I've just been on various internet forums since I was eighteen or so (thirty now) and get tired of some of the "characters" that I often find in these places. I forget the ECF community tends to be a bit classier and less trollish than many others, and is mostly filled with genuinely good people. Without this forum I would never have been able to make the jump to e-cigs at all; like I already said, there's just so much to learn, and I would have been too lost and confused to make the switch without the assistance of the good people on these forums.

In regards to the mods... I decided to upgrade my stealth vape since I use that more often anyways, and wait for some reviews to come out for the new Innokin tc mod and Evic Mini. I doubt I'll ever buy the Evic as I have a rather strong aversion to Joyetech products, but I am extremely eager to see what Innoken comes up with.

So for now I ordered an Istick mini 10w and an Aspire Nautilus mini. I anticipate having to keep my current stealth strategically placed as a backup in my car, since the 18350 in my Gripper barely get me through most days without needing to swap batteries. But if the Istick mini is nice, for $17 I can always get a second one to rotate. My buddy has countless tanks and mods and was very enthusiastic about the Nautilus, and I have read tons of good reviews on the Nautilus, so I am eager to see how this new rig works out.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Hands down IPV3 Li $72.95

IPV3 Li 165W Temperature Control Mod Stainless Steel Black in Stock US Seller | eBay

Upgrade firmware for 100 in Ti and 200 watt standard and it does not pulse rattle like Snowwolf.

I second on this one, saw a bunch of Videos on Youtube. Very favorably reviewed, it'll probably be my next Mod. You can find at the same price at Angel Cigs. I found out about it after I ordered the Cloupor. The number is misleading. You'd think that the 3 version would be older and less features then the 4 version. But according to reviewers it's the opposite. They hated the 4 and 4s and loved the IPV3 LI.

I bought a Cloupor GT 80 and it's a fine unit at a lower price point. I'm vaping SS Coils .25 Crown Tank at 270 Watts and it's a great vape. The nickel .15Ohm Coils were excellent but I vaped them at the 480 - 580 range depending on my mood. After about 5 days of vaping I took out the nickel Coil to experiment with the SS and the cotton was snow white. I vape a clear Liquid. If you are looking for small form factor and don't need more then the 80 Watts you might want to look at the Cloupor.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
With Two 3000mah Batteries I'm getting a good 24 hours of heavy vaping or around 15ml of juice. My Crown Tank Guzzles the Liquid. In an integrated battery system like the Joyetech VTC a Pass through is safe. But when dealing with Dual 18650 Batteries it's not considered safe to have a charging port.[Arguable]

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
With Two 3000mah Batteries I'm getting a good 24 hours of heavy vaping or around 15ml of juice. My Crown Tank Guzzles the Liquid. In an integrated battery system like the Joyetech VTC a Pass through is safe. But when dealing with Dual 18650 Batteries it's not considered safe to have a charging port.[Arguable]
I would like to read up on why charging duals is unsafe. I was using an iStick 50w for a while which has 2 cells (built in) and a charging port.

On work days I have charging at home, in the car, and at work and I use those to keep my mod topped off. I'm going to do that regardless of the mod I'm carrying. (The mod I'm vaping at the moment is charging.) Out and about I prefer to have a couple days of power in my pocket if possible without carrying a box full of batteries. (It helps that I vape at 20 max watts and consume about 5 ml daily.) I prefer devices with standard micro USB charging ports.

Reactions: GeorgeS

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I would like to read up on why charging duals is unsafe. I was using an iStick 50w for a while which has 2 cells (built in) and a charging port.

On work days I have charging at home, in the car, and at work and I used those to keep my mod topped off. I'm going to do that regardless of the mod I'm carrying. (The mod I'm vaping at the moment is charging.) Out and about I prefer to have a couple days of power in my pocket if possible without carrying a box full of batteries. (It helps that I vape at 20 max watts.) I prefer devices with standard micro USB charging ports.
Integrated Batteries are safe. 20 Watts is a low Wattage device, No worries on your I Stick. It's when you get into Dual Batteries at high wattage that it becomes unsafe [Arguably].

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Integrated Batteries are safe. 20 Watts is a low Wattage device, No worries on your I Stick. It's when you get into Dual Batteries at high wattage that it becomes unsafe [Arguably].
So may be if one of the cells died and the control borard treated the remaining battery as though it could perform like the original pair that could cause a problem? The board would need to be smart enough to see that the battery pack it regulates cannot handle the same loads as when it was healthy. Do the 2 cell regulated mods have that ability? Then again may be there is no problem with onboard charging of 2 removable cells and that's just what some people believe. Regardless I'm favoring mods with battery bays that allow the batteries to vent easily. Square is a better shape for that than round tubes.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
When the manufacturer integrates batteries on to the Mod. They are able to build the mod around the batteries.
Sort of like Apple Phone compared to Android Phones. The Apple Phones have integrated software with the hardware
and arguably just work better. The android has to put up with different batteries and hardware and arguably doesn't work as well as the Apple.

You can do more with an Android phone but generally overall they aren't as stable as the Apple

BTW - I've never heard of an explosion problem with the Itaste series or VTC or any integrated battery system from reputable
manufacturer.

The IPV4 not to be confused with an 4s had a charging port and their were big complaints about the batteries frying. They took out the charge port in the
4S.

One of the factors is also Parallel Verse Serial setup of Batteries. I'd think that a charge port would only be safe in a Parallel setup.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
When the manufacturer integrates batteries on to the Mod. They are able to build the mod around the batteries.
Sort of like Apple Phone compared to Android Phones. The Apple Phones have integrated software with the hardware
and arguably just work better. The android has to put up with different batteries and hardware and arguably doesn't work as well as the Apple.

You can do more with an Android phone but generally overall they aren't as stable as the Apple

BTW - I've never heard of an explosion problem with the Itaste series or VTC or any integrated battery system from reputable
manufacturer.

The IPV4 not to be confused with an 4s had a charging port and their were big complaints about the batteries frying. They took out the charge port in the
4S.

One of the factors is also Parallel Verse Serial setup of Batteries. I'd think that a charge port would only be safe in a Parallel setup.
The IPV3 is reputed to be a parallel setup and it has a USB charge Port.
The ipv3 li is a series battery mod, and the usb port appears to be only for updates.

I also disagree on your assessment of iphones versus android phones. Android phones work just fine, it's just that the open format gives you the opportunity to screw up the phone if you start modifying things too much and don't know what you're doing. On the other hand, android gives you the possibility to customize the phone so that it suits your needs.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reactions: eddiea

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
The ipv3 li is a series battery mod, and the usb port appears to be only for updates.

I also disagree on your assessment of iphones versus android phones. Android phones work just fine, it's just that the open format gives you the opportunity to screw up the phone if you start modifying things too much and don't know what you're doing. On the other hand, android gives you the possibility to customize the phone so that it suits your needs.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
I've corrected the post about the USB Port and Parallel Batteries. Wasn't sure that is why I put Reputed.

I've had Android Phones and Apple. My Android does more but they've been wonkier then the Apple, that did less but did it right.
I'll stand by my statement that integrated solution are often better then separates.Less variables for the manufacturer to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread