MCV Raptor T6 - the new mech box from the guys who did the Cherry Bomber!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
That looks really, really good. I've been debating for a couple weeks if I want to spend the extra dough on the copper version. I'm a huge fan of copper mechs. I think your pics have sealed the deal. After shipping, 88 is only $5 more than 3F.

What kind of build is in the Velocity?

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
That looks really, really good. I've been debating for a couple weeks if I want to spend the extra dough on the copper version. I'm a huge fan of copper mechs. I think your pics have sealed the deal. After shipping, 88 is only $5 more than 3F.

What kind of build is in the Velocity?
If you like copper, then you should get the copper version, it's great.
The Velocity is built with a pretty standard build for me, dual coils, 22g nichrome around a 2mm screwdriver, 8 wraps per coil. I often do the same thing with kanthal, except with 6 wraps per coil. Either build measures out to about .15 ohm.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
The top black plate on this is Delrin right? Im really liking the looks of this, and curious about getting one. How would this compare to say a Dimitri box? or are all basic unreg boxes like this pretty much the same. Sorry, I really know nothing about these, but I love the looks and wantto try one of these. Just dont want to drop 200+ on this and find I dont like it when I can drop 40 for a Dimitri if it is the same....

Just noticed that the clone is up on Focalecig for around 25 bucks. If I dont like it Im sure I can put it on Craigslist or the bay to get my money back.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
The top black plate on this is Delrin right? Im really liking the looks of this, and curious about getting one. How would this compare to say a Dimitri box? or are all basic unreg boxes like this pretty much the same. Sorry, I really know nothing about these, but I love the looks and wantto try one of these. Just dont want to drop 200+ on this and find I dont like it when I can drop 40 for a Dimitri if it is the same....

Just noticed that the clone is up on Focalecig for around 25 bucks. If I dont like it Im sure I can put it on Craigslist or the bay to get my money back.
It is some kind of high-temp resistant plastic... I usually refer to any kind of such plastics as Delrin even if not, but they are all the same kind of thing.
It is different from a Dimitri box. It is most similar to the Cherry Bomber.
You can get a copper Raptor clone for $45.99 from 88evape.com, pictures of mine are in this thread already.
A $40 Dimitri would also be a clone... and this box is aluminum, you can probably find a cheaper clone.
They are both good mods. The Raptor hits harder. Make sure you understand battery safety, ohms law, and how mechanical mods work. Learn this and you are good to go with any of them.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I got the saftey and Ohms law stuff. I was mainly wondering how the vape off it would differ from a Dimitri as I have used one for a little bit when I forgot to put batteries in my Siggy and went to work. My buddy let me use his for the day. I have a few mechs now, but they are all single 18650 or 22600, or what ever the one that almost looks like a D cell is... Brain is fried tinight cant think straight...

Thinking about picking up a clone just to play around with, and like I said, 25 bucks for a clone just to see If I would like it isnt to bad.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Well I don't know if the aluminum clone is good... it probably is, but I haven't tried this version. It could be the same manufacturer, but that I do not know for sure. But, you are right in that $25 is not much and so you might as well try it if the aluminum appeals to you.

You need to insert the batteries in the same direction, it is a parallel mech mod. If you are careless, you will cause a short that will wreck your batteries and could possibly melt the delrin too. Like any mech, there is no built-in protection against user error. Use good batteries, such as VTC4, VTC5, 25R, HE2, HE4. And, to get a great vape, you need to build your RDAs at fairly low resistance, within reason (use ohms law). Due to the parallel battery configuration, you can safely build very low, but make sure you know what you are doing and are measuring your builds to check for errors.

It is a mech mod, so it is the same concept as the Dimitri. The path for the electrical current is different, though. Basically, the main differences between any mech mod is how much voltage it is able to put out at any given resistance (different mods have different voltage drop), and the way it looks and feels. The switch is different. And the batteries are inserted differently. Dimitri is aluminum only, but the Raptor has a copper option, if that is worthwhile for you.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Out of curiosity, how is the switch set up in the raptor, and if anyone knows, how it compares to the dos equis dual bat box mod? I'm thinking about picking up a clone because a dual battery box mod is the one style of mod I don't currently have.
It is set up like a Cherry Bomber, except that the button is recessed, has a shorter throw, and doesn't spin due to it being inserted through a square opening. I think it feels great. I don't have a dos equis, but think I remember seeing a review of it awhile back. I remember the dos equis having kind of a 'mushy' fire button due to the mechanism employed. The Raptor does not feel like that.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I think I need to clarify that question a bit more. How does the mechanism work? With a tube, you press a button, a connection is completed with the negative side of the battery, the Atty fires. So with the raptor and others, how does that work? You press the side button and it slides a metal piece in place between the two positive ends?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think I need to clarify that question a bit more. How does the mechanism work? With a tube, you press a button, a connection is completed with the negative side of the battery, the Atty fires. So with the raptor and others, how does that work? You press the side button and it slides a metal piece in place between the two positive ends?

Davesignal said it was more similar to the Cherry bomber, which makes the connection from the body to the negative side of the 510.

Reactions: DaveSignal

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Davesignal said it was more similar to the Cherry bomber, which makes the connection from the body to the negative side of the 510.
Exactly. The batteries are screwed in to the box, making the box the battery negative. The battery positive is in contact with 510 pin. Fire switch pushes a large copper button pin/screw into a large copper ring under the atomizer mount (510 negative), making connection between the box and the 510 negative. If you look at the pictures already posted in this thread, you can figure it out.

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
My copper one came last night, so here's my "bad" USPS story. Wife has mentioned more than once I'm spending a bit too much on vape stuff. Ordered from 88 Sunday, shipped Monday, and arrived at the PO yesterday. Got there after my carrier was out, but no big deal. Wife is working today, so I figured she wouldn't be home when it came. But nooo, not only do they go out of their way to deliver it last night when the wife was home, they even rang the bell so she could personally retrieve it from the mailbox. No lecture yet, but I'm sure I'll get one to spoil the holiday weekend.:grr::cry:

Batteries are on the charger, so I haven't fired it up yet. However, I'm really impressed by the build quality. Even the packaging was nice, coming well protected in a plastic box with plenty of bubble wrap. Tossed a dual 24ga, 3mm, 7-wrap build into the copper Freakshow Mini I also ordered ($8? Sure!). Can't wait to see how it goes.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
My copper one came last night, so here's my "bad" USPS story. Wife has mentioned more than once I'm spending a bit too much on vape stuff. Ordered from 88 Sunday, shipped Monday, and arrived at the PO yesterday. Got there after my carrier was out, but no big deal. Wife is working today, so I figured she wouldn't be home when it came. But nooo, not only do they go out of their way to deliver it last night when the wife was home, they even rang the bell so she could personally retrieve it from the mailbox. No lecture yet, but I'm sure I'll get one to spoil the holiday weekend.:grr::cry:

Batteries are on the charger, so I haven't fired it up yet. However, I'm really impressed by the build quality. Even the packaging was nice, coming well protected in a plastic box with plenty of bubble wrap. Tossed a dual 24ga, 3mm, 7-wrap build into the copper Freakshow Mini I also ordered ($8? Sure!). Can't wait to see how it goes.

View attachment 486912 View attachment 486913 View attachment 486914
It looks great! Tell your wife it's a clone. What do you think of the switch?

Reactions: Bad Ninja

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
Nothing much I can do about the wife except say, "Yes, dear" the appropriate number of times. :danger:

Love the switch! Short throw, no misfires or failures to fire, doesn't need to be pushed in just the right spot with just the right amount of pressure. What really amazes me about this mod, though, is how such a big, boxy, heavy as heck chunk of copper can be so comfortable to hold and vape. I have a very healthy number of mod's, clone and authentic, and this is the only clone that makes me wonder just how the original could possibly be any better.

I have no complaints so far, but the 510 pin might be a little short. I haven't tried any other atties, but that Freakshow just barely seems to make the connection. I had to take it apart to make sure it made contact.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Nothing much I can do about the wife except say, "Yes, dear" the appropriate number of times. :danger:

Love the switch! Short throw, no misfires or failures to fire, doesn't need to be pushed in just the right spot with just the right amount of pressure. What really amazes me about this mod, though, is how such a big, boxy, heavy as heck chunk of copper can be so comfortable to hold and vape. I have a very healthy number of mod's, clone and authentic, and this is the only clone that makes me wonder just how the original could possibly be any better.

I have no complaints so far, but the 510 pin might be a little short. I haven't tried any other atties, but that Freakshow just barely seems to make the connection. I had to take it apart to make sure it made contact.
Yeah, the switch is far better than the Cherry Bomber. The 510 should adjust to the atomizer if you put the atomizer on before the batteries. The batteries being screwed in puts upward pressure on the 510 pin.

you can feel it making contact when the battery won't screw in anymore.

Last edited:

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Yeah, the switch is far better than the Cherry Bomber. The 510 should adjust to the atomizer if you put the atomizer on before the batteries. The batteries being screwed in puts upward pressure on the 510 pin.

you can feel it making contact when the battery won't screw in anymore.
I'm sold! I'll have to save up for two lol
If I get one, I'll have to Bad Ninja one too :p

Reactions: DaveSignal

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Damn. I really want one of these. Looks like it would be a good box to try a 2s2p 18350 setup in. The lack of support between batteries in the cb would make me nervous running a battery setup like that.
Any word on if CV/panzer magnets work in the switch?

I've never run a series parallel battery setup like that. In fact, I have never stacked batteries, its not something that has ever been recommended. But this is essentially an upgraded cherry bomber. If you wouldn't do it on the cb, this mod isn't going to be much different circuit-wise.

The panzer magnets I have do not fit. It would need to be an ever so slightly larger ID magnet due to the square switch post. And it would have to be a thinner magnet, so that they fit depthwise and allow the short throw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kprthevapr

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
Electrically I wouldn't worry about a 2s2p setup in a cb assuming a married quad of 12A 18350's and a build that won't draw too hard from them. With the cb I would worry about the lack of any sort of battery sled cradling the cells making the 2s2p stack mechanically unstable. Looks like this couldn't happen in the raptor.
I've ran cells in series before; I didn't have any problems but I'm also in the habit of using high quality cells within their specs.
Looks like another box to add to the short list.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Electrically I wouldn't worry about a 2s2p setup in a cb assuming a married quad of 12A 18350's and a build that won't draw too hard from them. With the cb I would worry about the lack of any sort of battery sled cradling the cells making the 2s2p stack mechanically unstable. Looks like this couldn't happen in the raptor.
I've ran cells in series before; I didn't have any problems but I'm also in the habit of using high quality cells within their specs.
Looks like another box to add to the short list.
Well the batteries would certainly stay stacked in a raptor, but I think you would have better specs, both in mah and cdr, if you just used a good pair of 18650s.

Eta: with the extra voltage from the stack, you would need to rebuild any rda you wanted to use specifically for this mod.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread