e juice help! smells like dikentones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellaulait

Oct 5, 2015
Ok so i'm a relatively new vaper, been vaping on a cig a like for a year and decided to step it up to something better and less expensive. (i feel i have made a mistake)
I got an ego style battery and a clearomizer set up.
Did a huge amount of research and finally settled on 3 (small) US companies I thought seemed the most reputable and transparent in terms of their liquids in terms of safety of ingredients.
I'm in Australia so I had a lot of trouble trying to find a supplier that would ship to AU. This whittled it down to one company.
Ordered a whole bunch of 15ml e juices to try, all tobacco type flavors, cost with shipping was $$$$ !!!
Once I opened the box and started unpacking there was a smell of popcorn, caramel, very sweet.
After opening a couple to try and also to do they steep process - ie shake open then close. it got worse, my apartment (which is small) is strongly smelling of sweet caramel popcorn. A few days later its still hanging around and every time i open the cupboard when i'm storing them the smell is unleashed.
I think the vapor smells too, its overpowering.
I has made me very nervous about what is in these liquids. The company has stated that they do not use diaceytl or acetoin but I can't help but think the dreaded popcorn caramel smell is diketones. They say they are going to test their liquids this year and put up results but they are well aware of the issue and have never used flavors with diketones.
I definitely do not want to use them if they contain any diketones.
I am wondering if sweet, caramel popcorn smells / flavors can be possible without any diketones?
I didn't think it was possible.
Maybe I didn't do enough research?

bellaulait

Oct 5, 2015
Ok so i'm a relatively new vaper, been vaping on a cig a like for a year and decided to step it up to something better and less expensive. (i feel i have made a mistake)
I got an ego style battery and a clearomizer set up.
Did a huge amount of research and finally settled on 3 (small) US companies I thought seemed the most reputable and transparent in terms of their liquids in terms of safety of ingredients.
I'm in Australia so I had a lot of trouble trying to find a supplier that would ship to AU. This whittled it down to one company.
Ordered a whole bunch of 15ml e juices to try, all tobacco type flavors, cost with shipping was $$$$ !!!
Once I opened the box and started unpacking there was a smell of popcorn, caramel, very sweet.
After opening a couple to try and also to do they steep process - ie shake open then close. it got worse, my apartment (which is small) is strongly smelling of sweet caramel popcorn. A few days later its still hanging around and every time i open the cupboard when i'm storing them the smell is unleashed.
I think the vapor smells too, its overpowering.
I has made me very nervous about what is in these liquids. The company has stated that they do not use diaceytl or acetoin but I can't help but think the dreaded popcorn caramel smell is diketones. They say they are going to test their liquids this year and put up results but they are well aware of the issue and have never used flavors with diketones.
I definitely do not want to use them if they contain any diketones.
I am wondering if sweet, caramel popcorn smells / flavors can be possible without any diketones?
I didn't think it was possible.
Maybe I didn't do enough research?

misterholidayhouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2013
Central Oregon
If you opened the box and it smelled up the house, you obviously had a leaker. What was the flavor profile of the leaker? It happens..
Yes, it's possible to have that smell without Dikatones. I had the cap come off a bottle of Tribeca in the mail. It basically smells like what you describe. A heavenly scent to me. No Dikatones though..
Does your vendor have lab results posted? That's the closest thing we have to go by at this time.
Another thought.. If you have been using only cigalikes, maybe you have never been exposed to the richness of the multitude of flavors used in commercial ejuice?

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Hey check out this diketone free list:

I know for sure that some of those vendors deliver to AUS^. Also google these (some are already added to the list^)

TBD liquids
Bombies
Mr Good Vape
Goodlife vapor
Eliquidy by Eciggity
Wet Stache
Kings Crest
Honest Vapor
Baker White

If you wish to go unflavored I would suggest Nude Nicotine - Chemically Validated and Artfully Concocted Electronic Cigarette Liquid I order from them regularly, they test their PG, VG and nicotine and deliver to AUS.
I vape unflavored 50% of the time and make up some flavors using these here E-Flavors™ Professional E-Liquid Flavor Concentrates - Engineered for Vaping - Create your own Premium DIY e-Liquids! all DA/AP free.

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread