RDA Paradigm Modz Magma Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I have had the Magma Reborn now for a couple of weeks. My experience is as such that I thought I would report back on it it.

I was quite excited by the design of the rda, being a professed lover of all things Kennedy. I thought the 2 post design, bottom airflow and deep juice well may serve some advantage over the K24. Am making a direct comparison as they are both in the same ball park figure cost wise.

Unfortunately the only positive I can give for the Magma Reborn is that flavour wise it is spot on, especially with a Clapton build. However I prefer mech mods over regulated and I bought this atty to pair with my 22650 JD Tech Scorpion X mod, so prefer to build dual coil parallel builds.

Essentially I can't live with this rda day to day, it screws apart when trying to remove it from the mod. The Delrin chuff cap looks and feels cheap and the airflow is not as sophisticated as the Kennedy 24.

The build deck is excellent however I swapped out the screws for grub/hex screws as the screw tip cut through my first attempt at installing a coil. Would have preferred a velocity style deck, but it's a close second.

image.jpeg

Aesthetically the RDA looks good and it's comes with a domed top cap all adding to the flavour

image.jpeg

However for the price, it lacks the sophistication and quality of a Kennedy and the Delrin chuff cap, is beyond ugly and just feels cheap.

image.jpeg

Basically it's a good RDA for mixing juices and for those flavour chasers. But as an all round experience, it doesn't have the use ability of the Kennedy nor the build quality, lacking the sophistication and airflow.

I haven't had any leaking issues, but I can leave my Kennedy's filled to the top of the well lying on their sides or bumping around in my pockets and they never have leaked a drop. I haven't lived with the Magma at such a personal level, but somehow I doubt that if I did that it would be leakproof like the Kennedy has proven to be.

Bottom line is, I can't ask for a refund but don't waste your money where there is better for a little bit more

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
This is unfortunate 8( I am getting very mixed reviews on this Atty. I just ordered one as I had a $25 credit which brought my total shipped to $55 so I guess its not the end of the world. I was hoping for a really solid flavor atty.

I had heard the build quality could be a bit better but besides that it was amazing. I love bottom airflow attys I have a Kennedy a subzero a h-atty and I am REALLYVlooking forward to the geekvape tsunami

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
This is unfortunate 8( I am getting very mixed reviews on this Atty. I just ordered one as I had a $25 credit which brought my total shipped to $55 so I guess its not the end of the world. I was hoping for a really solid flavor atty.

I had heard the build quality could be a bit better but besides that it was amazing. I love bottom airflow attys I have a Kennedy a subzero a h-atty and I am REALLYVlooking forward to the geekvape tsunami

To clarify, the one thing it is, is a solid flavour chasing RBA. Derringer and Aelous v2 Pro level.

If you can get over the whistling noise from the airflow, the cheap chuff cap and the fact that unscrewing it from your mod requires some dexterity then you could be happy. I value overall performance than just flavour chasing, hence not being happy.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I have a derringer and an aeolus v2 but as you said and I didn't really mention I was hoping it would be a fairly good performer all around. I made some SS 316l Clapton in hopes for a really solid TC experience

Twisted420 seemed thrilled with it

I would be interested in hearing your take on it, once you take delivery. The SS Clapton should bring out its the best qualities. I am using it on my VS 200 tonight, but just in power mode.

Where is twisted420 's review, would like to see what they thought of it.

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015

He said it is probobaly his all time favorite RDA to date or something to that effect

Thank you for posting his review, my initial interest in this RDA were much the same as Twisted has listed. However he doesn't make any mention of the whistling airflow, or the cheap chuff cap. And seemed to be able to unscrew it from the mod with ease, whereas I have found that when you begin to unscrew the RDA it just comes apart leaving the base on the mod.

Plus to take advantage of the deep juice well, will mean you need to top up carefully or you will get it juice in the airflow chamber.

He sold the RDA well, just not sure how long he lived with it to make his conclusion.

Reactions: MMW

sig-cmt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2015
HoustΩn, TX
Positive impressions versus K24:

1. Definitely feels like a more open draw.

2. Deck is easier to build on and the wick channels make it easier to position wicks properly.

3. Cross-head set screws hold wire tight without cam-out. While I have snapped 22g 316L with the K24, I have not yet done so with the MR.

4. Depressed well space at the bottom of the airflow channels sucessfully capture overflow. Less likely to leak versus when overdripping.

5. Greater overall well capacity, I can always get in a few more drops versus before overflow out of the airflow slots.

6. Thinner walls of the subcap and the finned Delrin top cap allow the MR to better handle larger, hotter builds.

7. Greater positive pin protrusion for improved safety margin when used with mechanicals.

8. Replacement AFC rings allow the MR to color match most mechanical devices.

9. Dual posts allows for aimless dripping down the middle.

10. Large 3mm post holes to accomodate complex builds.

Negative impressions versus K24:

1. The Delrin tip could be radiused for improved comfort.

2. Taller without the clean, simple and stout look of the K24.

3. The Delrin tip could be both shorter and wider. PM is aware of this and may release a proper widebore chuff.

4. The single O-ring on the Delrin top cap could benefit from a greater CS or a higher durometer or both.

5. Airflow is turbulent in sound and feel due to the depressed well space at the bottom of the airflow channels where juice is captured.

6. Additional parts to disassemble when taking the RDA down for rewicking and general maintenance.

Additional MR commentary:

1. I do not take particular issue with the noise the MR makes. I am probably in the minority when I say that I actually prefer loud, crackling wire when hit with high wattage and obnoxiously loud airflow. It is the gurgling which can be annoying. An imperfect workround is take hard primer puffs while tilting the RDA to draw out the captured juice.

2. The Delrin top cap looks far better on the Teflon Black variant than the Gunmetal due to superior color matching.

3. I have also had issues with removing the MR from a mod. I find that so long as the subcap is tightened down on the AFC ring and the AFC ring and the deck are pinched together while removing the RDA, everything comes off as a single unit. Else, pinch the AFC ring and the deck while spinning the mod off the RDA.

Donnie Alexander is right on the money when he mentions the sophistication of the K24 versus the MR. The airflow of the K24 is smoother and the build quality is superb. But the thick-walled top cap of the K24 also tends to trap in heat, leading to accelerated carbonization. As mentioned above, the thinner walls of the MR subcap and the finned Delrin top cap allow the RDA to stay cooler for longer with the benefit of delayed fouling. This is especially noticeable when chain vaping. However, the ability of the MR to better handle larger, hotter builds will no doubt be offset when the Kennedy Demon V2 Cap is released. I am a bona-fide Kennedy fanboy. They are local. They make great stuff. The K24 certainly offers more sophisticated airflow coupled with heavy gauge build quality. But as of late, I have been gravitating towards the MR for some of the reasons listed above: I can remove the Delrin top cap and mindlessly drip in between and to the sides of the posts. When I do overflow (as in every single time I drip), I take hard primer puffs while tilting the airflow slots accordingly. And I can vape longer and hotter without having to rewick due to delayed gunking versus. I most certainly qualify as a lazy vaper and thus far the MR suits my lazy style a bit better.

mr_vs_k24_raptors.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
So Vape mail came in last night and my Magama Reborn (MR) Reuleaux DNA, SubZero and black griffin plus various wire types guages and batteries.

So first off gave her a nice bath to clean off any existing machine oil. Fortunately there was next to none and it seems my unit is almost perfect. I set her up with a 9 wrap 3mm 22guage single 316l SS build reading roughly .3 (i got home late and did not want to fuss with claptons or dual coils)put the settings on 55w 420f and was greeted with a nice warm SUPER flavorful Vape !

I am super excited about thus Addy hhhhmmm

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States

2. Deck is easier to build on and the wick channels make it easier to position wicks properly.

3. Cross-head set screws hold wire tight without cam-out. While I have snapped 22g 316L with the K24, I have not yet done so with the MR.

4. Depressed well space at the bottom of the airflow channels sucessfully capture overflow. Less likely to leak versus when overdripping.

5. Greater overall well capacity, I can always get in a few more drops versus before overflow out of the airflow slots.

6. Thinner walls of the subcap and the finned Delrin top cap allow the MR to better handle larger, hotter builds.

7. Greate positive pin protrusion for greater safety margin when used with mechanicals.

3. The Delrin tip could be both shorter and wider. PM is aware of this and may release a proper widebore chuff.

4. The single O-ring on the Delrin top cap could benefit from a greater CS or a higher durometer or both.

5. Airflow is turbulent in sound and feel due to the depressed well space at the bottom of the airflow channels where juice is captured.

6. Additional parts to disassemble when taking the RDA down for rewicking and general maintenance.

1. I do not take particular issue with the noise the MR makes. I am probably in the minority when I say that I actually prefer loud, crackling wire when hit with high wattage and obnoxiously loud airflow. It is the gurgling which can be annoying. An imperfect workround is take hard primer puffs while tilting the RDA to draw out the captured juice.

2. The Delrin top cap looks far better on the Teflon Black variant than the Gunmetal due to superior color matching.

3. I have also had issues with removing the MR from a mod. I find that so long as the subcap is tightened down on the AFC ring and the AFC ring and the deck are pinched together while removing the RDA, everything comes off as a single unit. Else, pinch the AFC ring and the deck while spinning the mod off the RDA.

Donnie Alexander is right on the money when he mentions the sophistication of the K24 versus the MR. The airflow of the K24 is smoother and the build quality is superb. But the thick-walled top cap of the K24 also tends to trap in heat, leading to accelerated carbonization. As mentioned above, the thinner walls of the MR subcap and the finned Delrin top cap allow the RDA to stay cooler for longer with the benefit of delayed fouling. This is especially noticeable when chain vaping. However, the ability of the MR to better handle larger, hotter builds will no doubt be offset when the Kennedy Demon V2 Cap is released. I am a bona-fide Kennedy fanboy. They are local. They make great stuff. The K24 is certainly offers more sophisticated airflow coupled with heavy gauge build quality. But as of late, I have been gravitating towards the MR for some of the reasons listed above: I can remove the Delrin top cap and mindlessly drip in between and to the sides of the posts. When I do overflow (as in every single time I drip), I take hard primer puffs while tilting the airflow slots accordingly. And I can vape longer and hotter without having to rewick due to delayed gunking versus. I most certainly qualify as a lazy vaper and thus far the MR suits my lazy style a bit better.

View attachment 529262

A good, solid, and impartial review. Thank you.

These days I'm much more likely to put stock in reviews such as yours than from most of the old hands on YouTube whom I'm convinced are elbow deep into the cookie jar.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
W

7. Greate positive pin protrusion for greater safety margin when used with mechanicals.

Donnie Alexander is right on the money when he mentions the sophistication of the K24 versus the MR. The airflow of the K24 is smoother and the build quality is superb. But the thick-walled top cap of the K24 also tends to trap in heat, leading to accelerated carbonization. As mentioned above, the thinner walls of the MR subcap and the finned Delrin top cap allow the RDA to stay cooler for longer with the benefit of delayed fouling. This is especially noticeable when chain vaping. However, the ability of the MR to better handle larger, hotter builds will no doubt be offset when the Kennedy Demon V2 Cap is released. I am a bona-fide Kennedy fanboy. They are local. They make great stuff. The K24 is certainly offers more sophisticated airflow coupled with heavy gauge build quality. But as of late, I have been gravitating towards the MR for some of the reasons listed above: I can remove the Delrin top cap and mindlessly drip in between and to the sides of the posts. When I do overflow (as in every single time I drip), I take hard primer puffs while tilting the airflow slots accordingly. And I can vape longer and hotter without having to rewick due to delayed gunking versus. I most certainly qualify as a lazy vaper and thus far the MR suits my lazy style a bit better.

View attachment 529262
Wow great review !!! It seems was have a lot of Kennedy fans here 8) I owned a k24 for exactly 1 week before my apartment was broken into and the thief must have been a vaper as they passed up most of my clones and cheap mods and grabbed all the good stuff. I still have my 1:1 clone but as you guys know especially with the kennedy it dosent really do it justice !! Hopefully one day I can afford another Kennedy as it was the best built Addy I ever owned however this girl needs to moderate her purchases haha maybe when i get my taxes back.

Anyways thanks for all the great feedback and reviews! After 12 hours with my magma i am very happy with the vape in tc mode! The flavor is excellent and I am loving the huge well. However it is loud like wow I was not expecting that loud even though I was warned lol I will post more in depth with pics after I have spent more time with it.

Thanks again everyone

Reactions: sig-cmt

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Thank you sig-cmt your in depth technical breakdown and comparison made for an insightful and enjoyable read.

Agree with you on all the points you have raised, especially when making comparison with the Kennedy which does suffer from accelerated carbonisation, mostly across the top of the coils, definitely caused by the thickness of the top cap and the bottom only airflow.

And definitely not good if you are a dedicated lazy vaper, like me also

It's also true that you can mindlessly drip with the Reborn by removing the top cap, which again is a bonus for us lazy vapers.

Am happy to hear that PM may consider releasing a separate chuff cap, and agree that the Delrin better colour matches the Teflon Black RDA than my Gunmetal RDA. I could live with it otherwise, but it just looks and feels cheap and poorly designed.

I didn't like the cross head screws, and swapped them out having snapped the first coil I installed. But then I am heavy handed. Have never managed to snap any wires in the K24.

The whistling airflow does bother me, simply because I have got so used to the smooth airflow on the K24, I hit hard and I probably make enough noise vaping already without adding additional sound effects to it.

sig-cmt has always been one of my favourite posters on these forums and his review a captivating read. Making me want to give this RDA a second chance, before relegating it to the shelf along with other RDAs that I like but don't love.

The question I ponder is, would I have bought this RDA, if I had read his review first.

And I think I would have.

Would I have rather made up the difference and spent my money on yet another Kennedy 24 (I have 4). I think so...

Reactions: sig-cmt

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
So Vape mail came in last night and my Magama Reborn (MR) Reuleaux DNA, SubZero and black griffin plus various wire types guages and batteries.

So first off gave her a nice bath to clean off any existing machine oil. Fortunately there was next to none and it seems my unit is almost perfect. I set her up with a 9 wrap 3mm 22guage single 316l SS build reading roughly .3 (i got home late and did not want to fuss with claptons or dual coils)put the settings on 55w 420f and was greeted with a nice warm SUPER flavorful Vape !

I am super excited about thus Addy hhhhmmm

Cool, so whatcha think

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
W

Wow great review !!! It seems was have a lot of Kennedy fans here 8) I owned a k24 for exactly 1 week before my apartment was broken into and the thief must have been a vaper as they passed up most of my clones and cheap mods and grabbed all the good stuff. I still have my 1:1 clone but as you guys know especially with the kennedy it dosent really do it justice !! Hopefully one day I can afford another Kennedy as it was the best built Addy I ever owned however this girl needs to moderate her purchases haha maybe when i get my taxes back.

Anyways thanks for all the great feedback and reviews! After 12 hours with my magma i am very happy with the vape in tc mode! The flavor is excellent and I am loving the huge well. However it is loud like wow I was not expecting that loud even though I was warned lol I will post more in depth with pics after I have spent more time with it.

Thanks again everyone

sorry to hear about your house break, burglars disgust me to the core. Shame about them taking your Kennedy. I couldn't live without mine, so feel your pain.

And yeah the Reborn is fugging loud. What did you think of the chuff cap?

I know you bought the RDA with vouchers, but I am getting the feeling that it is more expensive in the UK.

It cost me about £60 and a K24 retails about £80.

How much is the Reborn in the US in comparison to the cost of a K24

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I'm loving mine, even though they sent the gunmetal instead of teflon. Muppets.

Great airflow. Huge deck & post holes. Deep juice well. Fabulous flavour.

I loved the first magma and this is even better imo. Just sort that damn cheapo chuff cap out. It's rubbish.
I'm loving mine, even though they sent the gunmetal instead of teflon. Muppets.

Great airflow. Huge deck & post holes. Deep juice well. Fabulous flavour.

I loved the first magma and this is even better imo. Just sort that damn cheapo chuff cap out. It's rubbish.

Lol, I'm a muppet I intentionally chose the gunmetal.

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
$75 for Teflon coated $65 for polished black.....
I have snapped every wire besides the Clapton's I used. Can anyone who has swapped the screws recommend some or give me heads up on ones you used!!!

I really love the vape I am getting on this however I feel with the negatives.... loud airflow ,cheap top cap , jagged post screws etc this has potential to be an AMAZING vape it seems paradigm rushed this out 8(

I feel I can live with the loud noise and if I can swap out the screws and get a new chuff cap that's similar in size I feel I could learn to love this RDA

That is until I can get another Kennedy 24 or I can see how this new tsunami from geekvaoe turns out 8)

Thanks everyone

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Having heard about flaking teflon, I'm not that bothered they sent the wrong one tbh. The chuff cap looks bobbins on it though.

The K24 was around $100 and the Magma was $75 iirc.

I had heard about the flaking Teflon too, hence going with the gunmetal. And not giving much thought to the mismatched chuff cap.

The price difference between the Reborn and K24 seems about the same...

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
$75 for Teflon coated $65 for polished black.....
I have snapped every wire besides the Clapton's I used. Can anyone who has swapped the screws recommend some or give me heads up on ones you used!!!

I really love the vape I am getting on this however I feel with the negatives.... loud airflow ,cheap top cap , jagged post screws etc this has potential to be an AMAZING vape it seems paradigm rushed this out 8(

I feel I can live with the loud noise and if I can swap out the screws and get a new chuff cap that's similar in size I feel I could learn to love this RDA

That is until I can get another Kennedy 24 or I can see how this new tsunami from geekvaoe turns out 8)

Thanks everyone

I used a pair of hex grub screws, unfortunately I mixed them all up and didn't keep track of the size. I had to use the largest ones I had.

I think you can get a mix of sizes off eBay for very little cost.

Alternatively revert back to using Clapton, that's where this RDA performs best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread