RDA Should I buy a Kennedy Or Velocity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh dieker

Jun 24, 2015
orlando, FL
Your own personal experience does not equate to the experience being the same for everyone, there are dozens of members on this forum that order from FT on a regular basis and have no issues at all, myself included. You have to know what to look for, read the descriptions and reviews and know what you're getting in to.
this is true no hard feelings bro i was just putting out my side out there it never hurts. but i own the orignal of both and i think the real thing is better. but like i said thats just my side of the story.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
this is true no hard feelings bro i was just putting out my side out there it never hurts. but i own the orignal of both and i think the real thing is better. but like i said thats just my side of the story.
I'll agree that the Kennedy is better coming from Steve, the man who makes them, as I have three of his. However I would have never thought of buying the Kennedy without first trying it out with a clone version, and I liked the clone so much that I bought three authentic versions. Sometimes authentic gear is better, there's no denying that, but there are also times where the difference isn't noticeable from a $10 clone and a $130 authentic.

mr.fabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Southern Cal
I'll agree that the Kennedy is better coming from Steve, the man who makes them, as I have three of his. However I would have never thought of buying the Kennedy without first trying it out with a clone version, and I liked the clone so much that I bought three authentic versions. Sometimes authentic gear is better, there's no denying that, but there are also times where the difference isn't noticeable from a $10 clone and a $130 authentic.

I have both type and I always supported authentics over clones except in the case of the Kennedy. After sale / warranty support is non-existent which is why I bought a clone after the authentic. If you are purchasing a Kennedy 2 Hole version, the authentic is better due to more juice capacity in the deck. If you choose the competition, the clone offers better value and no difference on the machining of the deck. I thought there would be a difference on the post holes and screws that I love on the authentic, however, there was no difference. On the Gremlin caps, the clone is shorter than the authentic and no changes in flavor between the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Froth

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I have both type and I always supported authentics over clones except in the case of the Kennedy. After sale / warranty support is non-existent which is why I bought a clone after the authentic. If you are purchasing a Kennedy 2 Hole version, the authentic is better due to more juice capacity in the deck. If you choose the competition, the clone offers better value and no difference on the machining of the deck. I thought there would be a difference on the post holes and screws that I love on the authentic, however, there was no difference. On the Gremlin caps, the clone is shorter than the authentic and no changes in flavor between the two.
That's about how I feel, all three of my authentic versions are the single hole per side deck, two of the original left justified and one all-brass centered deck and that's mainly because there isn't a good clone readily available of either of those decks, especially in brass. However, I've got two clone competitions from Focal that are excellent and are identical to the real thing in performance and looks, even the authentic caps fit them perfectly. One of the main pluses of the authentic for me is knowing that the copper is 101 lead free and that the brass is lead free Naval Brass, I've really been loving the brass deck centered version I was lucky enough to get my hands on, though I'm not looking forward to now attempting to find the same deck in copper, I've been told it exists but not how many have been made...

Reactions: mr.fabe

mr.fabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Southern Cal
That's about how I feel, all three of my authentic versions are the single hole per side deck, two of the original left justified and one all-brass centered deck and that's mainly because there isn't a good clone readily available of either of those decks, especially in brass. However, I've got two clone competitions from Focal that are excellent and are identical to the real thing in performance and looks, even the authentic caps fit them perfectly. One of the main pluses of the authentic for me is knowing that the copper is 101 lead free and that the brass is lead free Naval Brass, I've really been loving the brass deck centered version I was lucky enough to get my hands on, though I'm not looking forward to now attempting to find the same deck in copper, I've been told it exists but not how many have been made...

There is about 20 of them that I know were made in copper. I was offered an opportunity to buy one but decided against it because the copper is so soft, I decided against it. I don't feel like dealing with stripped 510 connector threading. If your interested, I let you know who to contact. You can get low numbers (1-20) but I don't believe it will hold any value except those who really want it.

The funny thing about the authentic is I took mine to a local shop who has sold many Kennedys on eBay and one of the owners insisted that I had a fake one. I told him about the dimple on the 510 pin with the newer versions and he said Steve never does that to any of the atties he makes. I was then shown the copper decks that were for sale and they all had the dimple. I called the copper bases a fake... but offered a few bucks to buy the 'clone'...

Last edited:
Reactions: Froth

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Low numbers don't mean much to me, I'm rarely going to take it off the mod it will be on and I don't really sell vape gear, I acquire it. My brass centered deck is #39(Out of 50 from what I was told) and it is in a final home on top of my brass SMPL and I probably won't take it off for six months. Realistically, I'm in no rush...but I wouldn't pass up a deal in front of my face.

Spanky Payne

Mar 7, 2015
Jasper Missouri
Which one on fasttech did you go with? The dragon cap is the stock cap you see on most Kennedy's. Build Your Own Comp Kennedy | Kennedy Enterprises
The Kennedy on fasttech with the gremlin & demon style caps woulda been the best IMO
I bought the black seeing as I have a black panzer, but I found a stainless gremlin cap, bought it (hopefully it fits), and a acrylic dragon just because I thought it was cool, if I end up liking the comp and want better flavor I'll probably buy the one you pointed out also, but for the time being I'll have a comp with a gremlin, demon, and two dragon caps, so I'll find what suits me best

mr.fabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Southern Cal
I bought the black seeing as I have a black panzer, but I found a stainless gremlin cap, bought it (hopefully it fits), and a acrylic dragon just because I thought it was cool, if I end up liking the comp and want better flavor I'll probably buy the one you pointed out also, but for the time being I'll have a comp with a gremlin, demon, and two dragon caps, so I'll find what suits me best

The caps and decks on both my authentic and clone have been interchangeable with each other. You can convert your competition deck into a two hole version by plugging 2 of the 4 holes. This way you can try it and see if you enjoy the flavor before you spend additional money on another kennedy type atty.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Do you have a link to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread