When the B&M kid just won't give you the right thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Can we also assume the employee can't read because it's written on the box.

If we assume that, then we can also assume the customer can't read what's written on the same box.

What I'm hearing is the increasing buck passing that now pervades society. It's always someone else's fault. Did the employee screw up? Sure. No disagreement. But where is the customers responsibility in checking a tiny box before leaving? Especially after seeing error on two previous occasions?

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Fool me three times I'm just not intelligent enough to engage in financial transactions of any kind.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
So are you assuming the employee wasn't trained. Can we also assume the employee can't read because it's written on the box.

We give our new team members 5 days of training and still release associates for poor performance, poor quality and not following best practices. It's turning into a world with no individual accountability and excuses for poor performance. What ever happened to doing the job you got hired and paid for, his job was behind the counter sales, servicing the customer.
You are assuming he was trained or can read. Aside from the fact that perhaps the kid
is a special need's person or the owners kid the only excuse is with the owner.
You told us the support you have on your job. Evidently none of that is going on
at the OP's B&M. 40 years of working has taught me a thing or two about employment.
Attitude is attribute that flows from the top down.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Interesting, I believe self pride is vital in the work that I do but maybe that's an old concept.
Old Concept, not necessarily, but one which is more expected by the few than understood by the many.
I have always prided myself in taking on any challenge to the very best of my ability. However that self pride is not reflected in the lives of almost anyone I personally know.

People have always seemed to just do what they needed, minimally, to get to the next event.:facepalm:

A couple of Generations of kids raising kids has not helped in character building. Family Values have been Economically broken :(

Reactions: Toronnah

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Well instead of insulting someone for expecting quality maybe you should look in the mirror. Most time's I don't engage in threads you post in because you are frequently the one defending incompetence. I prefer having a standard of quality which is what makes the US great over being someone that consistently is defending poor quality and using the rate of pay as the excuse. They knew that rate when they took the job. It's this type of thinking and behavior that has destroyed quality in the States. But some people are more suited to make long winded excuses for poor performance, I will not be one of them but it seems to suit you just fine.

As a self employed owner of a successful welding company I know plenty about quality control if I didn't we would kill people. And my customers know this as well, but by all means continue to place stigmas on me you have no clue about. :)

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Wish I'd known about this "low paid means don't have to do a good job" thing some of you seem happy to accept I'd never have been punctual or conscientious in my many low paid jobs as a teen earning spare cash. Yes there is fault on both sides but the greater fault lies with the person working in a shop and not being able to sell what their asked for and there is no excuse for that it's a failure of service. Next time you go in OP ask to speak to the owner or if they are not there ask for contact details for them and make them aware of your issue's or failing that never purchase from there again. My own personal experience with b&m's had been lousy until recently when I found out about a new one in my town that is excellent and actually checks a persons knowledge before selling them a mech mod. Still in the startup phase so inventory is not high at the minute but both owner's and the two part time kids that work there are knowledgeable on everything they sell and happy to give help and advice. The young girl looks about seventeen even volunteered to wrap and fit coils for an older guy free of charge great shop with great staff and shows that you don't have to accept incompetence just because the wages are not high.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I do agree, you should always inspect the goods before leaving the store, just to avoid this hassle.

However there is an expectation of competency from any company.
Everyone makes mistakes, but repeated mistakes like that is pure incompetence.

Personally, I wouldn't trust them to handle my credit card, and just wouldn't go back.

As a self employed owner of a successful welding company I know plenty about quality control if I didn't we would kill people. And my customers know this as well, but by all means continue to place stigmas on me you have no clue about. :)

I'm guessing you probably have a pretty high standard for employee competence, especially the ones that actually meet and deal with your clients and recieve in your cash.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
I do agree, you should always inspect the goods before leaving the store, just to avoid this hassle.

However there is an expectation of competency from any company.
Everyone makes mistakes, but repeated mistakes like that is pure incompetence.

Personally, I wouldn't trust them to handle my credit card, and just wouldn't go back.

I'm guessing you probably have a pretty high standard for employee competence, especially the ones that actually meet and deal with your clients and recieve in your cash.

Absolutely but if we continued to deliver the wrong product and the customer kept accepting it would they not be at fault as well?

It's like this fast food place near me that always got my order wrong, so I quit going. But if I have to get food there and it's wrong I completely blame myself for stopping there knowing their propensity to deliver the wrong thing.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I always wondered what happened to all those young, dedicated, perfect employees after they got older. Turns out they are right here on ECF, lol. Not to worry though, because it appears that they have traded youth for self-righteousness. :w00t:

I know that whenever an employee in a retail establishment that I visit screws up, especially more than once, my first thought isn't to speak with the employee or management about it, it is to get on the internet and bash the employee, or the shop where they work. I don't mind doing this, because when I was younger, I worked much harder than everyone else, and I never made dumb mistakes....ever. ;)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I always wondered what happened to all those young, dedicated, perfect employees after they got older. Turns out they are right here on ECF, lol. Not to worry though, because it appears that they have traded youth for self-righteousness. :w00t:

I know that whenever an employee in a retail establishment that I visit screws up, especially more than once, my first thought isn't to speak with the employee or management about it, it is to get on the internet and bash the employee, or the shop where they work. I don't mind doing this, because when I was younger, I worked much harder than everyone else, and I never made dumb mistakes....ever. ;)

Lol when I was a kid they fired you for not doing your job.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada

And yet we continue to lay blame rather than accept our own faults. Where is the admission of wrongdoing on the part of the owner or manager. They hired the stupid, lazy kid. They trained (or didnt). They failed to follow up at regular intervals to ensure the employee was doing what they were supposed to.

No. Let's just lay it all at the feet of a young, inexperienced, ignorant teenager.

Reactions: skoony

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Absolutely! Same here....from what I remember, when I was a kid, there were no employees in any type of business that made mistakes or screwed up, without losing their jobs. Below average employees just didn't exist, anywhere. How I long for the good 'ol days when we all enjoyed such a perfect workforce. :thumbs:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
And yet we continue to lay blame rather than accept our own faults. Where is the admission of wrongdoing on the part of the owner or manager. They hired the stupid, lazy kid. They trained (or didnt). They failed to follow up at regular intervals to ensure the employee was doing what they were supposed to.

No. Let's just lay it all at the feet of a young, inexperienced, ignorant teenager.

Teenager?
Whoa there, I thought we were talking about a vape store employee.
That's a grown adult. They vote, pay taxes, etc.
Should we just pay them to chase paying customers away?
Is this a charity or a business?

And I absolutely lay the fault with the management that hired said employee. If it's an owner, they won't be in business very long, uses they fix that problem.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Absolutely! Same here....from what I remember, when I was a kid, there were no employees in any type of business that made mistakes or screwed up, without losing their jobs. Below average employees just didn't exist, anywhere. How I long for the good 'ol days when we all enjoyed such a perfect workforce. :thumbs:

We sure weren't perfect, but "made in America" meant quality back then.

Back in the day, you didn't get a pat on the back for doing the right thing.
You were expected to do the right thing, every day.
You got a pat on the back when you went above and beyond.
Excuses didn't go very far.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Teenager?
Whoa there, I thought we were talking about a vape store employee.
That's a grown adult. They vote, pay taxes, etc.
Should we just pay them to chase paying customers away?
Is this a charity or a business?

And I absolutely lay the fault with the management that hired said employee. If it's an owner, they won't be in business very long, uses they fix that problem.

might as well be a teenager. A grown adult working in retail is most likely less intelligent than your average teen. Which begs the question of where everyone here stands on McDonald's workers making $15/hr and why or why not.

let's not expect the level of service we ourselves extend to people that make 1/4 what we do.

But that's just one persons opinion.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
It's a business owners responsibility to train their employees. Maybe that's not a given, but I thought it was.
That being said, the fact that the world is full of dimwit employees tells me that, if I don't want to be inconvenienced, I should check my goods at the time of sale. I do the same thing buying bullets, tools, car parts....maybe im just a rarity. This is really a ridiculous thread, but I find it hard to just walk away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread