Battery life while backpacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why_Try

Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Medina, OH
I have spent the winter updating a lot of my backpacking gear so I don't have to carry as much weight. My last remaining item to address is my vape stuff.

My current setup is a 150w sigelei with an authentic bambino. Ive played with builds and my mixes and I'm very satisfied with a .7 build at 40 watts. It just sips the juice and puts out more flavor than any of my big cloud builds.

I'm hoping to find a box that will match up with the bambino to use while hiking. The goal here is to avoid carrying 10-12 batteries on the trail to sustain me during a 5 day hike. I suppose the questions would be;

1: does a dual 18650 mod actually allow for twice as much use or would I be better to get a single so I could run the batteries lower one at a time.

2: I know chips make a difference on power usage. What is going to be my best option for the most battery life?

3: are LG's still the best battery for life since I don't need to worry about amps?

As I'm typing this I'm wondering if a mechanical would be the most efficient. Although it would be nice to have chip to shut it down at low voltage to prevent any battery damage. I'm open to any suggestions so if I'm off base feel free to correct me. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Why_Try

Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Medina, OH
Ever thought of packing a powerbank or a solar charger so you can charge your batteries in the mod?

Yes it's a thought but the charger or bank weight is around the weight of 4 batteries. I would still have to carry 4 batteries and probably 6 to be safe in case I run out of sun. That puts me at the same weight as just bringing 5 pairs.

DebiK

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Georgia
I'm what they call a tootle puffer. (around 10-11 watts and 1.2ohms) I always carry a single-battery device. (they weigh less- lol) I take my juice in plastic bottles (less weight and not breakable) I build my own coils, but take an extra pre-made coil head in case of emergency. Most of our hikes are around 3 days.

That being said, I found that I don't vape near a much as usual when I'm hiking. I'm really surprised how much less I vape. I vape mostly on breaks and at the end of the day, while at my campsite. I always end up taking too much juice and too many batteries! I have taken a nemesis and batteries, but I prefer my vw device. Before I left last time, I weighed all of my mods and picked the one that weighed the least. lol Every gram counts!

This probably was of no help to you, but I figured I would share my experience. Hiking is so much more enjoyable since I quit smoking! I can breath better and no collecting butts to throw away later.

Good luck and have fun!!

Why_Try

Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Medina, OH
I'm what they call a tootle puffer. (around 10-11 watts and 1.2ohms) I always carry a single-battery device. (they weigh less- lol) I take my juice in plastic bottles (less weight and not breakable) I build my own coils, but take an extra pre-made coil head in case of emergency. Most of our hikes are around 3 days.

That being said, I found that I don't vape near a much as usual when I'm hiking. I'm really surprised how much less I vape. I vape mostly on breaks and at the end of the day, while at my campsite. I always end up taking too much juice and too many batteries! I have taken a nemesis and batteries, but I prefer my vw device. Before I left last time, I weighed all of my mods and picked the one that weighed the least. lol Every gram counts!

This probably was of no help to you, but I figured I would share my experience. Hiking is so much more enjoyable since I quit smoking! I can breath better and no collecting butts to throw away later.

Good luck and have fun!!

No laughing at the weight consciousness. I've spent the last months trimming tags, straps, and swapping out shock cord for smaller diameter. It's become a challenge with myself to shed as much as I can. I don't know how to win yet tho?

The other good thing with vaping on the trail vs smoking is, instead of pissing people off from the stink...now they just get ...... because I make them hungry.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Not knowing your normal vaping habits, I'm making an assumption saying this, but here it goes: You'll vape a lot less while hiking than you will doing any other normal day to day activity. Judging by my own experience and by what I've read others say over the years, I'll dare to say you'll consume less than half what you normally would while you're out in the forest or crossing a desert.

So, considering greatly decreased consumption, how "long" (as in amount of time passes before you need to charge or change batteries) your batteries last is going to probably at least double.

Reactions: DebiK

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
O God, i just had the coolest idea...but no skills to implement it.

I love watches with perpetual movements. When i got my iphone6, the sales guy @THE store said that phones with perpetual movements were being developed.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was an ecig battery, or mod--that had a perpetual movement, so that it would charge as you carried it around???

Good Luck on your back-packing trip, Why Try!!!Stay Safe!!!

Reactions: KentA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread