Marketing to Children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I have always dismissed the idea that vaping companies market to children, until I saw this on the website of a new B&M that is about 4 blocks from a local high school. I also looked up the company who makes these products. I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this ad. I almost don't think I should post it, but I will let that mods decide what they want to do. Home - One Hit Wonder

Pretty creepy to me... :eek:

Reactions: Eskie

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
There are many buts...

And yes, of course it doesn't help, because people.
And brainwashing.
And a village.

I think even Lessifer knows that.
But he's still right.
:)
Sometimes I argue from the point of what is, and what we can work within. Sometimes, when I don't see a way for us to truly work with what is, I argue from the point of how things could be someday.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Sometimes I argue from the point of what is, and what we can work within. Sometimes, when I don't see a way for us to truly work with what is, I argue from the point of how things could be someday.
The problem is that many see things that we can work within where they don't really exist.
I don't know if they are fooling themselves or what.

But you already know that.
;)

By the way, where is Jman8 anyway?
He'd be ALL OVER this topic.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
So, let's see, kids shouldn't do cloud tricks with vaporized VG because it's, ummm.... because they will....ummm. Give me a little more time, I'll think of something, eventually, ummm...
They should not because they should not put awful amounts of glycerin, propylene glycol and flavorings in their lungs. Take a look at 30 ml bottle - it may end up in some kid lungs in a single day. And another bottle in the next day...

Reactions: Eskie

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The problem is that many see things that we can work within where they don't really exist.
I don't know if they are fooling themselves or what.

But you already know that.
;)

By the way, where is Jman8 anyway?
He'd be ALL OVER this topic.
All of those "easy compromises" before we even got to the table.

I haven't seen him in awhile, I can understand taking a break though.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Pretty creepy to me... :eek:

I may be late to this thread, and unrelated to the debate of whether underage vaping should or should not be regulated, that ad is just plain creepy, and doesn't appeal to me as a vaper. It very much calls into question who they believe they are targeting with that ad, as I'm pretty sure most vapers, around here at least, would not be within the demographic that ad would appeal to.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
They should not because they should not put awful amounts of glycerin, propylene glycol and flavorings in their lungs. Take a look at 30 ml bottle - it may end up in some kid lungs in a single day. And another bottle in the next day...
Just out of curiosity, and not saying it's a good idea, but do you have anything that would prove it to be a bad idea? A worse idea than drinking a Pumpkin Spice latte(chocked full of "natural and artificial flavorings") per day?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't think there's been any research on those high amounts yet, but does pumping 30ml of viscous liquid into your lungs every day sound like a good idea?
eh, I'm a little biased, I don't do lung inhales. I chuck fairly decent clouds but I do the cigar, mouth only inhale. Also, think about it, if you're blowing huge clouds, the full 30ml obviously isn't staying in your lungs.

Like I said, it's not necessarily a good idea, but I dislike the implication that it MUST be a bad idea, without any data to support it.

Reactions: mattiem

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Sometimes it take a pragmatist, to get the idealist to the end game, says the realist.
Thank you for reminding me that I left out some well-meaning folks from the equation.

If everyone was an idealist we wouldn't need pragmatists...
Or realists...
:D

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Just out of curiosity, and not saying it's a good idea, but do you have anything that would prove it to be a bad idea? ...

Like I said, it's not necessarily a good idea, but I dislike the implication that it MUST be a bad idea, without any data to support it.

There were times when there were no data to support idea that inhalation of asbestos dust MUST be a bad idea. Now we know better.

There are a lot of chemicals that are much more harmful when inhaled in contrast to digesting. Lungs are delicate.

...Also, think about it, if you're blowing huge clouds, the full 30ml obviously isn't staying in your lungs. ...

At least 50% of nicotine is absorbed. So, at least 50% of juice is staying in lungs (DL draw).

Inly

Sep 26, 2016
UK
While the girl in the ad definitely looks to be of... questionable age, for an e-juice ad, I agree with what LMS62 said. She's an attractive girl, and looks like the over-eighteen-but-looks-15 classic "jailbait" (ew I hate that word) that so many advertising companies (and the Disney Channel) love so much. Good looking young women are used in advertising because they're an effective form of bait for both genders. To simplify it, they're aesthetically pleasing to pretty much everyone, so the ads they feature in lead to an increase in product sales and they and are hired for more advertising gigs and the cycle continues.

I also wouldn't say that the ad or a store being close to a school really counts as "marketing to children" either. There was a well-known brothel down the road from my school as I was growing up, but to my knowledge none of the preteen boys ever ventured in there. (They did knock on the door and run away giggling a lot, though.)

Obviously I find it concerning that kids with fresh babby virgin lungs are picking up vaping being they think it's "cool" and are uneducated about the various potential risks, and the sweet flavours of juice available increase the risk that kids will be attracted to it, but as far as I'm concerned as long as vendors continue to be reputable and refuse service to minors or any young person who can't produce acceptable identification, how and where they choose to advertise isn't an issue. Alcohol comes in sweet, sugary flavours too, but very few people villify it for "advertising to children" in the way people do with vaping.

EDIT:
So, ads for bras, make up and such are targeting males?
In a way, yeah. Men buy those things for their partners and (in the case of makeup) daughters and friends, afterall. Hell, many men wear makeup.

But also I'd like to point out that attractive, young women used in advertising shifts more products than adverts using unattractive women, regardless of which demographic the ad is aimed at. Even when you look at ads for plus-sized clothing or ads aimed at older women, the models chosen are always attractive and have younger-looking features. It plays on the subconscious desire of many women to retain their youthful, pretty looks. There's a sort of "If you buy this product, you can look like this" element to it even though we all know consciously that a new mascara isn't gonna take ten years off you.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
There were times when there were no data to support idea that inhalation of asbestos dust MUST be a bad idea. Now we know better.

There are a lot of chemicals that are much more harmful when inhaled in contrast to digesting. Lungs are delicate.

At least 50% of nicotine is absorbed. So, at least 50% of juice is staying in lungs (DL draw).
So, I'll take that as a No?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Children are wards of their parents. Parents decide most things. I'm supporting that, not disputing it. Nobody should give or sell anything to any minor child if their parents might not approve. That goes for retailers the same as everybody else. That's been the common law forever. Let parents decide. Most jurisdictions that ban sales of ecigs to kids do not criminalize possession by kids. That detail is never mentioned. When was the last time a kid was arrested for smoking?

Everything our fearless leaders are doing about ecigs and kids ends up promoting tobacco use by making ecigs harder to get than cigarettes. May be they are so blind and so stupid they don't see that but I think they do see that so they must be evil, not stupid.

Reactions: mattiem

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
She's an attractive girl, and looks like the over-eighteen-but-looks-15 classic "jailbat" (ew I hate that word) that so many advertising companies (and the Disney Channel) love so much.

I can't help but wonder what a 15 year old "Jailbat" looks like. I really make too many typos to target others, but I just couldn't resist. ;)

Reactions: Inly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread