Regular Atty Drippers (A Dying Breed?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
I would love to go do something like that !

Do you ride, Classy? The ultimate goal of the trip, was my #1 Bucket List item. California's Route 36. 200 miles of narrow, winding, undulating switchbacks of badness that starts in the High Desert and ends in the Redwood Forest.

Lol... unbeknownst to me, I lost my tent somewhere on 36. I got to a campground high in the Redwood Forest near HoneyDew California (Talk about your Top Secret Humboldt County locations!) LATE in the evening, only to discover I had no tent. The stars and moon were out, so I just put my air mattress on the ground, put my sleeping bag on it, and slept like the dead. I woke to this..
Humboldt.jpg

Saw SO many amazing things. The highest highs, the lowest lows, and WildeBeasts of Majesty, roaming free an arms length away .
high.png

low.jpg

middle.jpg

Does that Canyon make my forehead look tall?

Part of the fun, was just pulling over and setting up camp where ever I darn well pleased. I packed out more than I packed in whenever I could, leaving each site better than I found it. I hope my kids can enjoy the trip some day.

damnwellplease.jpg

This lake is at about 10,000 feet. Yes, that IS snow, And yes, it was a COLD bath.
Camp2.jpg

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Old Skool Atty users might appreciate the method of Road Laundry. This is where at the end of the day, you jump in fully clothed, get out and soap up all your clothes (the outside is the CLEAN side), then take em all off, reverse, and wring the DAYLIGHTS outta them to force the soap through to the DIRTY side, rinse, hang up, sleep, wake and wear. They're still a bit damp, but it only takes a little while at 60mph to dry.

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
WOW, LouBo, fabulous trip and marvelous pictorial! Very nice of them to cut that tree so you could zoom thru it. ;)

(love that last shot!)

No, no! I chewed through that. It was that, or bend the front forks.

Some of the VERY narrow parts through the Redwoods, had trees with significant scarring from being hit by motorists. Those trees are often 30' wide. I imagine that left more than a mark on the ijits who can't drive..

Reactions: Katdarling

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Not in a very long time :(

Great pictures !

Thank you. I has a million. Left out Colorado (I don't remember much ;) ), Zion and Bryce Canyon, a zillion things. My 2nd absolute objective was Vegas to visit my ailing Dad. I was going to cut across Death Valley mid day from Yosemite. Had an evaporation vest and camel back with 2 liters of water, but a local in the little CA town of Benton tipped me off to route 168, the WestGard Pass. Cuts over the White Mountains of the Sierra Nevada range, right on the north end of Death Valley. Never even HEARD of the uber gnarly Ancient Bristle Cone Forest, but it was an awesome ride and scenery. Good thing too, the road surface THERE was probably 160F. I was comfy, but the BIKE didn't much care for it. Check engine light came on a few times, and the oil pressure was near zero, probably had the viscosity of water.
20160729_015000.jpg

I'm in awe...... this is the best vicarious trip I've ever taken!

You're a maniac, Louie!
Lol.. thanks Kat. No, I'm an ijit. In the little town of Benton, I ran into THESE guys.

Expedição Continente Americano 2015 | Facebook

THEY are maniacs. They were heading INTO Yosemite, on a road trip from Ushuaia Argentina (Southern tip of South America) to Prudhoe Bay Alaska, and BACK! 40,000 miles! And that is without detours, which they were taking PLENTY of. So probably 60,000 at least.

No cell signal, but the phone booth WORKED. Lol.. "Local calls $0.25" What the heck is "local" in a one horse town?!?
1zqapmp.jpg

2175s1.jpg

Gosh, that seat doesn't like like I could do 6000, let alone 60. WARRIORS!

LouisLeBeau

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
And if the bike breaks down in the middle of the 60k run?

You adapt, improvise, and overcome. They had tires, parts, first aid kits, fire extinguishers...

I lost my whole air filter somewhere in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, along a sandy, windy shoreline. NO idea when it fell off. NOT good for the motor. Yeah, that's a sock covering my carburetor...
strange_socks.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread