Smok Alien

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    yep, only the watts... i love the handy press the right button and the power to change wattage when in temp.

Humm..... I must be missing something.

Increasing the power in TC mode should not effect the vape temperature unless the power level before was not enough to reach the temperature set point.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Vancouver Canada
    Humm..... I must be missing something.

Increasing the power in TC mode should not effect the vape temperature unless the power level before was not enough to reach the temperature set point.
    You are correct.
    My original thinking was that ppl are not experiencing pause in vape because they never fully reach the set temperature or if they do it reaches the set temperature at a slower rate.
    For me I find I get the pause mid vape when the coil hits the set temp too fast and the mod "freaks out". Instead of regulating the wattage to maintain the set temp it simply shuts down.

Example, I have a dual coil 28 gauge plain round ss316l coil with TCR at 92, set temp at 450F. If I set the wattage to 50 watts, using steam engine I get a heat flux value of 267. Once my coil hits the set temp of 450F which is usually within half a second or a second, it will pause completely (stops firing), coil would slightly cool and it would maintain wattage to hold 450F.

If I set the wattage to say between 25-35 watts I get a heat flux value of between 133-187 and in this case I would not get a pause in firing. BUT it will take a long time to get to 450F but it does not pause during my vape. This is not my preferred vaping style as I like instant firing and set temp achieved.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Vancouver Canada
    Update for the pause during vape problem.

For those that have this issue can you please list the tanks/RDA you are having problems with and the 510 length?

Reason I am asking is because my daily tanks are the OBS engine and the Kayfunv5 clone and they have had issues with pausing mid fire.
    Today the RBA for the baby beast came in so I figured I'd give it a try for fun. To my surprise, no pauses mid vape and vapes great with the exact same coil build.
    I started to look closer at this problem and it may be 510 length related. I threw on my Gemini that has roughly the same 510 length as the baby beast..... no pauses either.

I'm thinking maybe the engine and kf 510 is shorter and looses contact or the positive center pin isn't fully seated to make full contact, and for a split second causing the vape to pause.

If anyone else has this pausing problem, please check to see if your 510 length is greater than 4.5mm

ccwaters

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 31, 2013
    Minnesota USA
    My Alien had same issue with my Hurricane Junior, and Goon LP, both work fine on other TC mods. I have not tried all my atties, but Taifun GTIII, in'sane, Narda, DoggyStyle are fine. From my usage the latest revision firmware seems better.
    Both the goon, and the Jr. 510 pins are slightly shorter then the others mentioned.

Just tried my engine on mine, sometimes it is fine, others not. , odd though because it is slightly raised on the alien, does not sit flush. Engine also runs great on my dna200/75 mods, Engine doesn't even make contact with my Cuboid

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    people need to make sure they download the right firmware as there is a Alien 1 and alien 2 ... kinda of stupid as they will not work with each other
    I have the A version and the correct firmware, but still. I loaded the 1.2.2 firmware and it's better, but still not as good as 1.2.1

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Vapyro

Jan 6, 2017
    Have had a good experience with my alien mod thus far. The baby beast is an excellent tank, no leaks whatsoever. I'm really liking the cloud beast and alien set up, particularly with the v8-t8 pre-built coil, or the rba and dual Claptons. The beast tanks are all quite good, excellent Vapor production, good design, great selection of pre-built coils.

Reactions: BreSha6869

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2014
    Vancouver Canada
    My Version A is much better on the 1.2.2, if you want to roll back here is the link to 1.2.11

https://odhk2xgq4.qnssl.com/file/1484732200857j6azou9t8s8y.zip

For the record, 1.2.11 is not a "roll back" from 1.2.2, it is the upgrade. We are all in search of the original 1.2.1 which so far no one has been able to find.

Yeah, I uploaded 1.2.2. Works better than 1.2.11, but still not as good as 1.2.1. Annoying that newer firmware is worse than older.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

I noticed the same thing after upgrading to 1.2.11
    Vape would be cool at start or choppy and slowly get hot. That or intermittently it would produce no vape and show "temp protection". At first I thought it was the tank so I tried a different tank, same issue. Rolled it from 1.2.11 back to 1.2.2 and all is fixed again.

Kinda sucks because I really did like the new and old coil resistance showing before I confirmed.

EODPaul

ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2017
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    I messed my Alien up bad last night. It was working fine, but I got excited and adventurous and decided to try the firmware update... Not really seeing the V1.*** update (grey font), I clicked on the VB*** update and installed that one... Now, despite trying to uninstall the update with my very limited skills, I have a little brick that looks like an Alien mod.
    I wish I'd left well enough alone. Really disappointed in myself for screwing it up as badly as I did.

******************** Be sure to use the correct version of the update!***********************

EODPaul

ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2017
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Did you just try to install the V1.2.11 (whatever is the latest) over what you already did?
    Actually, I just did, and it worked! Thanks for the advice! Now, having already bought a replacement, I'm going to the store tomorrow to see if they'll take it back or exchange it for something else... I never used the new one, so.... hopefully.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    For the record, 1.2.11 is not a "roll back" from 1.2.2, it is the upgrade. We are all in search of the original 1.2.1 which so far no one has been able to find.

I noticed the same thing after upgrading to 1.2.11
    Vape would be cool at start or choppy and slowly get hot. That or intermittently it would produce no vape and show "temp protection". At first I thought it was the tank so I tried a different tank, same issue. Rolled it from 1.2.11 back to 1.2.2 and all is fixed again.

Kinda sucks because I really did like the new and old coil resistance showing before I confirmed.

I left my Alien alone with only the 1.2.2 version and will say TC on SS is reasonably decent. One thing I've learned is to be very leery of firmware updates. Whatever minor additional functionality they bring has to be weighed against the risk of doing something really bad to the board. Most of my non-DNA mods are still on their shipping firmware (OK other than this one which I did update from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2) rather than mess around just to be able to add a logo or something.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Actually, I just did, and it worked! Thanks for the advice! Now, having already bought a replacement, I'm going to the store tomorrow to see if they'll take it back or exchange it for something else... I never used the new one, so.... hopefully.

Thanks again.

Excellent news! Glad that did it. Installing over works better than trying to back out with an uninstall because of the way firmware is stored.

Just remember, there's nothing wrong with having a backup device on hand with that extra one. You never know when you might need it.;)

Hopefully it's unused in the box they should be good about it.

Reactions: EODPaul
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread