Batterys question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR701

May 26, 2017
Did you read the link I posted in your other thread? Here it is again if you'd like to try it:
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Short version:
With a regulated mod, resistance (ohms) doesn't matter. The only voltage that matters is your batteries' cutoff voltage. Parallel or series doesn't matter. Only your batteries' CDR (the 20A) and your wattage matters. Similarly, the amps that your screen might show are what's going to the coil, not what's being drawn from your battery.

Note that this is NOT true of mechanical mods - they work differently, and both resistance and wiring (parallel or serial) matters very much to them.

I calculated the maximum wattage for 2 20V batteries in the other thread. It's 115 W, and it applies to any resistance.

About the voltage - regulated mods have a chip that increases or lowers the voltage it's getting from the batteries, so what's going into the coil isn't the same as what's being drawn from your batteries.
Now I understand , thank you I really appreciate your time I'll definitely be sticking with vaping thanks a lot I feel much safer now

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Now I understand , thank you I really appreciate your time I'll definitely be sticking with vaping thanks a lot I feel much safer now

I'll add this, a little more information than needed but it is essential to understand.

Battery Configurations:
Single Battery - Li-ion Batteries voltage rating on their wrappers are "Nominal" voltage, Li-ion batteries most times operate between 3.0 low charge to 4.2v full charge, with a median plateau of operation between 3.5 to 3.9v where they stay at this charge level the longest, and two critical voltages need to be taken into account, 2.5v lowest, going below this voltage the electrolyte can dissolve the copper in the battery into the solution, thus leading to internal microshorts, which is dangerous, then going above a voltage of 4.2v, overcharging a battery can be very disastrous causing them to vent, and/or burst.
Multiple Battery "Series" - In this configuration, similar to a Maglite Flashlight, first battery negative and next battery positive are in contact or wired to make contact, etc thus making a series electrical connection. In this configuration, voltage is equal to voltage of a single battery X number of batteries in the series, amps and Mah stay the same as a single battery (this is the configuration 99% all high powered regulated mods use)
Multiple Battery "Parallel" - in this configuration, the batteries are setup side by side, all positives up while all negatives are down, or wired to make this happen, example the Eleaf iStick100W uses this configuration. In this configuration, voltage is the same as a single battery, Mah is X Number of Batteries, while in theory amps are X number of batteries as well, in practicality, battery 1 = 100% CDR, Battery 2 +50% CDR, Battery 3 +50% CDR, etc.
Multiple Battery Parallel-Series (this is a new configuration, example the Wismec RX300) - This is a hybrid configuration, 2 Series battery sleds wired in parallel, gaining strengths and benefits of a series and a parallel configuration. With 4 batteries in the whole setup, each sled (2 of them) is in series with 2 batteries each (gain voltage X 2, 6.0v to 8.4v operating voltage, same mah and CDR of a single battery), then the 2 sleds are wired in parallel (voltage of a single battery sled, Mah of 2 batteries together technically, and the second sled adds +50% more CDR)

Regulated mods circuitry and basics of how they function. Most control boards can have either a Bucking Circuit, Boosting Circuit, or both. A Bucking Circuit operates as the PCB says I need 4.3v to reach XXX watts, the buck circuit pulls power from the batteries, that voltage maybe 8.4v, the buck circuit throttles that voltage down to 4.3v as requested and shunts the rest into control board power or into a resistor as dead voltage, or a digital potentiometer. A boosting circuit functions in the opposite aspect, PCB needs 4.3v again as above, but available voltage is say only 3.8v, a boost circuit is then activated which pulls raw amps from the batteries, converts that to the voltage needed to reach 4.3v signal, as the desparity between needed voltage and actual voltage in the batteries available becomes greater, the more amps are pulled from the batteries to compensate. You would see Bucking circuits more common on a series mod, where a boosting circuit would be more common on a single battery or parallel mod.

Where a mechanical/unregulated we use (Volts/Ohms=Amps) and suggest doing the calculation at full fresh charge of 4.2v thus highest amps are at highest volts available, with a regulated, the amps are lowest at full charge and increase as batteries get lower on their charge, thus we use the formula (watts set/lowest voltage=amps, though for more safety we suggest the mod control board efficiency be taken into account, thus watts set/lowest voltage/mod chipset efficiency=max amps).

Reactions: Tonee N

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
Something that is not often covered in these threads is that DC-DC converters are not 100% efficient.
There are losses and these should not be ignored when calculation loads on cells/batteries.

Another aspect of electronics engineering are margins.
You should not be running a device(cell/batteries too) at 100% of its specifications.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Something that is not often covered in these threads is that DC-DC converters are not 100% efficient.
There are losses and these should not be ignored when calculation loads on cells/batteries.

Another aspect of electronics engineering are margins.
You should not be running a device(cell/batteries too) at 100% of its specifications.

That's certainly true, and it's good to bring it up specifically. However, you'll notice that the calculations I posted earlier included a 90% efficiency factor, so it was addressed in those numbers.

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
That's certainly true, and it's good to bring it up specifically. However, you'll notice that the calculations I posted earlier included a 90% efficiency factor, so it was addressed in those numbers.

I skim read the thread as I didn't know how long I had access to the forum with the current server issues.
Details like that are always worth repeating... well that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :p

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Yes... but a lot of people just assume that vaping at up to 60 watts per 20 amp battery is necessarily always perfectly fine on a regulated mod, and then they usually tend to forget that if you chain vape at something below those 60 watts per battery the 25 amp Sony VTC5A could still be a much better choice despite that you vape below those 60 watts. So these kinds of numbers are not set in stone. (My RX300 gets warm if I chain vape on it, even at only 15 watts per battery, and this also happens regardless of the fact that the temperature in my room right now is more than a few degrees higher than normal because of what the weather is like.)

Reactions: Tonee N

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I have a predator 228 with a aspire 2 atomizer I want to get an atomizer that can max out my mod something like the tfv8 or 12 , I have hg2 chocolates when I get my tfv8 and use it with my battery's will it be safe ? Or do I need higher amperage
There simply aren't any batteries that will safely let you go up to 228w. Using true 30-amp batteries you're good up to about 180w staying within the cdr, but the battery runtime will be terrible.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yeah i just started sub ohm vaping and it's harsh at 80 watts what sub ohm tank do you recommend For my pred 228 I would still like the option to go to 175 watts but will be vaping at 100-120 I want a decent tank for the airflow

You still have not answered why you want to use such high wattage. If 80W is harsh, why do you think another tank would a be better vape if you could use it at 175W?

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
You still have not answered why you want to use such high wattage. If 80W is harsh, why do you think another tank would a be better vape if you could use it at 175W?
Exactly, why? The vape would be pretty uncomfortable at 175w. But to each his own. Just be careful.[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
There simply aren't any batteries that will safely let you go up to 228w. Using true 30-amp batteries you're good up to about 180w staying within the cdr, but the battery runtime will be terrible.

I vape at 228 watts on freshly charged dual VTC5As in my Purge Mods with extension. (But I wouldn't try that with a Predator.)

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
He's talking a tube mech in a series stacked configuration.

8.4v @
228watts

He's running a 0.3 to 0.31 at 27.143amps, a little on the higher side but still well within what Mooch claims the VTC5A is capable of, especially on a claimed competition mech mod the Purge mod claims to be, and this not even taking into account if he is figuring voltage drop and even lower resistance than what an Ohms Law Calculator is saying.

@dripster O/T was about a regulated mod, not a mech, 2 completely different animals when it comes to amp drain and what is safe, as a regulated uses watts and lowest voltage, not highest voltage and resistance.

228watts/6.0v=38amps/90% DC to DC efficiency=42.22amps <- Regulated
compared to
8.4v/0.3=28amps <-Mech/Unregulated

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
He's talking a tube mech in a series stacked configuration.

8.4v @
228watts

He's running a 0.3 to 0.31 at 27.143amps, a little on the higher side but still well within what Mooch claims the VTC5A is capable of, especially on a claimed competition mech mod the Purge mod claims to be, and this not even taking into account if he is figuring voltage drop and even lower resistance than what an Ohms Law Calculator is saying.

@dripster O/T was about a regulated mod, not a mech, 2 completely different animals when it comes to amp drain and what is safe, as a regulated uses watts and lowest voltage, not highest voltage and resistance.

228watts/6.0v=38amps/90% DC to DC efficiency=42.22amps <- Regulated
compared to
8.4v/0.3=28amps <-Mech/Unregulated
Well that makes a difference. I still wouldn't feel very comfortable running a stacked mech with such a load. Why can't people simply run rigs that will accommodate their builds safely?

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Well that makes a difference. I still wouldn't feel very comfortable running a stacked mech with such a load. Why can't people simply run rigs that will accommodate their builds safely?

Give me a toaster, gauze, and duct tape. Good to go![emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: dripster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread