Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Not sure if this is the right place for my questions so if it's not, moderators, can you move it to the correct sub-forum?

So I'm getting my first lipo box built for me and I ordered a MaxAmps 2800 mAh 4s battery for it. I also have the IMAX B6AC. I have 2 questions. To anyone out there that has this charger and has a larger battery like the one I'll be using, how fast does it take to charge the battery? Like 18650's, shorter or longer?

Next question, if it takes a while (hours) to charge the lipo I ordered I am going to want to get another battery, I know not to skimp out on batteries and always buy authentic batteries from a well known supplier. I don't want to fork out an arm and a leg like I did on the MaxAmps battery I'm getting so can someone give me their opinion on a good but not expensive battery? This battery won't be used all the time, just while 4s battery is being charged. It doesn't need to be a 4s, could be either 2s or 3s. Just enough to get nubby until the 4s is topped off. I've heard a few things about Turnigy lipos puffing up after so many cycles so would this brand be good enough to use while the MaxAmps lipo is charging. I don't see me charging it as much as I would the MaxAmps battery or should I not even waste my money on a Turnigy and if so what battery do you recommend me getting?

Any opinions will be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Not sure what is being built for you, but a 4S battery will have a voltage of 14.8, a 2s 7.4V, and a 3s 11.1V, so I'm not sure interchangeability is going to work for you. That being said, each battery will have a "max charging current" rating, and if your charger will deliver it, "rule of thumb" math (battery mah divided by charging current, but add 20-25%) can be used to get close.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Not sure what is being built for you, but a 4S battery will have a voltage of 14.8, a 2s 7.4V, and a 3s 11.1V, so I'm not sure interchangeability is going to work for you. That being said, each battery will have a "max charging current" rating, and if your charger will deliver it, "rule of thumb" math (battery mah divided by charging current, but add 20-25%) can be used to get close.

With the mod I'm getting I will be able to interchange batteries. The mod has a smart digital PWM so it will recognize if I have a 2s on up to a 6s lipo.

The charger I'm getting is an IMAX B6ac and I will be able to set how many cells I have in the battery the charging current for said battery. The charger will (before charging) read what battery I have plugged in and it make sure everything is correct before starting the charging process.

So the MaxAmp lipo I'm getting says it has 5C capable charging then the spare lipo I'm looking at (Turnigy Nano-Tech 3s 1800 mah) says it has up to 15c charging capability so if I use the math that you mentioned it would look like:
1800/15 = 120+20% = 144

Now if this is correct, what is the 144?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Well, yes, the Maxamps has "fast charging" capability, so technically you can charge at 14 amps and it should take less than an hour (by the math it would be 30 minutes). The other battery could be charged at 27 amps. That's a pretty healthy charger, and yours won't do that, it is limited to 5 amps or 50W, which would be about 3 amps on the MaxAmps battery and 4 on the other.

Reactions: Wheelin247
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread