Charger is scratching my batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walken

Oct 11, 2010
Northern California
I bought at Esyb M2 portable charger and 2 HG2 batteries. They took about 5 hours to charge to full the first time and I noticed a scratch on the bottom but didn't really think much of it. Now they're charging for the second time after I ran the battery bar down to a third (I think they were at 3.6-3.8) and it's taken 4 hours for the second of three indicator lights to come on for one of them, while the other still just has 1 on.

Well, short version, I noticed the batteries are more scratched now then when I first charged them. I think the pic looks worse than real life but, are these safe to use or has the charger damaged them?

http://i.imgur.com/EWFMx5g.jpg

Hmm, I just put the battieries in my mode to see what the charge was and when I pressed the fire button the charge and the volt reading would both drop and come back when I released the button.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I bought at Esyb M2 portable charger and 2 HG2 batteries. They took about 5 hours to charge to full the first time and I noticed a scratch on the bottom but didn't really think much of it. Now they're charging for the second time after I ran the battery bar down to a third (I think they were at 3.6-3.8) and it's taken 4 hours for the second of three indicator lights to come on for one of them, while the other still just has 1 on.

Well, short version, I noticed the batteries are more scratched now then when I first charged them. I think the pic looks worse than real life but, are these safe to use or has the charger damaged them?

http://i.imgur.com/EWFMx5g.jpg

Hmm, I just put the battieries in my mode to see what the charge was and when I pressed the fire button the charge and the volt reading would both drop and come back when I released the button.

Batteries do get scratched up pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if that circular scratch isn't a bit too deep. Scratches should just be cosmetic - if it's actually dug into the metal you need to replace the battery (and the charger) immediately.

I'm not familiar with the model of charger and a quick search didn't reveal any quality reviews, but given your reports of its performance I'm rather concerned about it. A good quality charger is really important in vaping. It's a key safety issue, as overcharging will damage batteries and can lead to venting and possibly explosions. If you're looking for a new one, Xtar and Nitecore make reliable, easy-to-use chargers that aren't too expensive. Efest's LUC line are also supposed to be pretty good.

Good luck!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hmm, I just put the batteries in my mod to see what the charge was and when I pressed the fire button the charge and the volt reading would both drop and come back when I released the button.

Most mods do this. I get this on all my newest ones (with brand new batteries as well).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, the center circle was what looked concerning to me... If it's going inward *at all* you don't want to use it, and if you are getting funky battery readings, I'd say to scrap it at once.

I have a spring loaded charge and I hate it. :( What I've found to be the best technique (for me-- I haven't scratched batteries but in a few older ones, my wrapping has degraded the *slightest* amount), is to pull the spring down as FAR as I can with my left hand, place the battery in the charger, and then slooowllly release the spring with my hand until it touches the battery, then let go. I'll probably get something else when I can, and reading about battery safety here has made me WAY more ultra cautious with my batteries.

I never even considered that a mod would scratch up a battery if placed carefully, it seemed to me that most of my issues are coming from the charger, but I have a pretty high quality mod, it's really easy to get batteries in/out.

Anna

Reactions: Walken

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
Think this is the charger in question:
esyb-m2-charger.jpg

From that, I too would guess that the marks are made from the mod.
Centre circle on battery looks result of rotation, thus mod.

There's always the option of some Emery paper to smooth out contact points, but be aware of removing any plating.

Walken

Oct 11, 2010
Northern California
Batteries do get scratched up pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if that circular scratch isn't a bit too deep. Scratches should just be cosmetic - if it's actually dug into the metal you need to replace the battery (and the charger) immediately.

I'm not familiar with the model of charger and a quick search didn't reveal any quality reviews, but given your reports of its performance I'm rather concerned about it. A good quality charger is really important in vaping. It's a key safety issue, as overcharging will damage batteries and can lead to venting and possibly explosions. If you're looking for a new one, Xtar and Nitecore make reliable, easy-to-use chargers that aren't too expensive. Efest's LUC line are also supposed to be pretty good.

Good luck!

Thanks Hawise, I'm going to get some new batteries and a charger today.

Walken

Oct 11, 2010
Northern California
the scratches look more like the ones that occur from usage in the mod...

Think this is the charger in question:
esyb-m2-charger.jpg

From that, I too would guess that the marks are made from the mod.
Centre circle on battery looks result of rotation, thus mod.

There's always the option of some Emery paper to smooth out contact points, but be aware of removing any plating.

I put this theory to test and put the battery back in the charger and took it back out. It went from 3/4 of a circle to a full circle now, so I'm pretty sure it's the charger.

Walken

Oct 11, 2010
Northern California
Yeah, the center circle was what looked concerning to me... If it's going inward *at all* you don't want to use it, and if you are getting funky battery readings, I'd say to scrap it at once.

I have a spring loaded charge and I hate it. :( What I've found to be the best technique (for me-- I haven't scratched batteries but in a few older ones, my wrapping has degraded the *slightest* amount), is to pull the spring down as FAR as I can with my left hand, place the battery in the charger, and then slooowllly release the spring with my hand until it touches the battery, then let go. I'll probably get something else when I can, and reading about battery safety here has made me WAY more ultra cautious with my batteries.

I never even considered that a mod would scratch up a battery if placed carefully, it seemed to me that most of my issues are coming from the charger, but I have a pretty high quality mod, it's really easy to get batteries in/out.

Anna
Is that center circle a scratch or is it pushed in? I can't really tell in the photo.

It definitely goes into the battery, it looks like a tiny gouge. I'm going to ditch them, thanks for your help.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Walken, glad you are going to ditch them. Your charger looks similar (though not identical) to mine-- I'm thinking that the springloaded charges put a LOT of pressure on the battery itself. Had I to purchase my charger over again (and I'm thinking that may be soon) I am going to buy one that isn't a "universal" charger that can charge multiple batteries, but that's not even what I need. I plan to buy something specifically for my batteries that can be an easier insertion, though I think my springs may be less *intense* in the model I have, as they don't leave imprints on the bottom of my batteries, due to any springloaded tension, they're just a pain to insert/remove.

And, if anyone has recommendations for great places to find chargers, I'd be delighted, though I also will do a google search...

Anna

Walken

Oct 11, 2010
Northern California
Walken, glad you are going to ditch them. Your charger looks similar (though not identical) to mine-- I'm thinking that the springloaded charges put a LOT of pressure on the battery itself. Had I to purchase my charger over again (and I'm thinking that may be soon) I am going to buy one that isn't a "universal" charger that can charge multiple batteries, but that's not even what I need. I plan to buy something specifically for my batteries that can be an easier insertion, though I think my springs may be less *intense* in the model I have, as they don't leave imprints on the bottom of my batteries, due to any springloaded tension, they're just a pain to insert/remove.

And, if anyone has recommendations for great places to find chargers, I'd be delighted, though I also will do a google search...

Anna

I've been looking this morning for one that isn't spring loaded and I haven't found one on the net.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've been looking this morning for one that isn't spring loaded and I haven't found one on the net.

I don't think you will. I've only seen chargers with a sliding spring loaded mechanism. If you do, please post it in follow up so we can know the option is available. Still, I'd be fine with if it's just some scratching and not an actual dent in the metal. If the metal itself is deformed/dented, toss the battery in the recycle bin.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Mine is a Nitecore 2 bay and I have no clue which generation other than, I purchased it not to long ago and I know I got the latest model (bad at keeping packaging) now that my insertion technique is QUITE different, the new batteries I have look great, and the ones that are slightly degraded, (the wraps tore in one or two places) are still holding up fine. I don't leave them on the charger after they've fully charged, it may well be that Nitecore has figured out to reduce the pressure so that the bottom holders don't dent the bottom. I am pretty sure any earlier degridation was my being careless in insertion and maybe leaving them on there too long.... I'd still enjoy a non spring-loaded charger, but if it isn't available, I can make this one work. My paying more attention was through reading about battery safety on this site, so hopefully you can figure out how to not get that indent (though it kind of sounds like, and looks like, pressure from the bottom denting the battery.

I'm assuming you remove them after charging but if not, and it's an older charger, you may still want to replace it if you can with a spring/pressure load that's less.... virulent, as it were. Or, you might try a different battery manufacturer, I'm sure some are more robust than others.

Anna

Walken

Oct 11, 2010
Northern California
Okay, back with an update. I picked up new batteries and a new charger and dug around and found my old charger that could only charge 1 battery at a time. I took out my digital fishing scale to test out the springs and see how much force the batteries were under. The old single one was about 1.1 pounds, the new one a Nitecore, was 1.2 pounds. The Esyb M2 portable charger was 4.7 pounds. I wasn't even completely compressing the springs.

Anyway, I'm going to say mystery solved on this one, that's a great deal of pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread