Conflicted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rummyforlife

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Nova Scotia
So I went to the park last night and a young man was explaining to me that vaping is very bad for you. He said there were cancer causing chemicals in the juice. Told me to read the Surgeon Generals Report, which I did, and that was just bad news all around about vaping. So needless to say I am very conflicted as to what to do. I have just started vaping and know nothing about it. I had heard it was safe to do from friends and google searches. I desperately need to quit smoking cigarettes and was so excited to discover vaping. My family is not supportive of my vaping as they believe it is harmful to me. I am 64 years old with COPD and they think I am a nut job. I also have a 6 year old grandson that I babysit every day. I would not want to harm him by vaping in front of him and the smoke do him any damage.
I am at a loss as to what to do. Any advice or information about this would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has a lot more knowledge about vaping than I do. Thank you very much.
I can tell you I am a bad asthmatic who was using my puffers several times a day before vaping. Within a few days of vaping I noticed I wasent needing my puffers and no longer feel panic if I leave my house without using them. I also ran into a lady at the vape store that told me she has copd and after quitting smoking and vaping after 6 months when she had her lung function test her lung function increased drastically. You can read all kinds of studies some negative and some positive.. I personally think that if vaping has improved my lung function then that's good enough for me and it's nice that I no longer have bad breath or smell of cigarettes.

Mystic Meep

Aug 18, 2017
I can tell you I am a bad asthmatic who was using my puffers several times a day before vaping. Within a few days of vaping I noticed I wasent needing my puffers and no longer feel panic if I leave my house without using them. I also ran into a lady at the vape store that told me she has copd and after quitting smoking and vaping after 6 months when she had her lung function test her lung function increased drastically. You can read all kinds of studies some negative and some positive.. I personally think that if vaping has improved my lung function then that's good enough for me and it's nice that I no longer have bad breath or smell of cigarettes.
That is wonderful news. I am so happy for you. I have heard so many great things in this forum that I no longer have concerns about vaping. I am very grateful. Thank you so much

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Some health professionals are still either opposed or undecided about vaping, so don't expect them to cheer you on. If they do, that's great. But in their notes, they might just write, "former smoker" to protect you, because the insurance companies don't seem to be on board just yet.

Regarding vaping around children, I don't really think the vapor itself causes any harm. It's setting the example that causes concern. Looks like smoking, isn't a normal person just breathing, etc.

Like so many others, I haven't been sick a day since I quit smoking just over 4 years ago. Prior to that, I had bronchitis at least 2, sometimes 4 times a year for the last couple of decades. I smoked for over 45 years. And BTW, I am 66.

Congratulations @Jamie Plum!

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
So I went to the park last night and a young man was explaining to me that vaping is very bad for you. He said there were cancer causing chemicals in the juice. Told me to read the Surgeon Generals Report, which I did, and that was just bad news all around about vaping. So needless to say I am very conflicted as to what to do. I have just started vaping and know nothing about it. I had heard it was safe to do from friends and google searches. I desperately need to quit smoking cigarettes and was so excited to discover vaping. My family is not supportive of my vaping as they believe it is harmful to me. I am 64 years old with COPD and they think I am a nut job. I also have a 6 year old grandson that I babysit every day. I would not want to harm him by vaping in front of him and the smoke do him any damage.
I am at a loss as to what to do. Any advice or information about this would be greatly appreciated. Everyone here has a lot more knowledge about vaping than I do. Thank you very much.

I haven't read the replies yet, but let me explain something.

The FDA has classfied vaping as a tobacco product. because of that, the "standard" warning labels are required to be slapped on to the juices. Those labels were made with Cigarettes in mind.. not ecigs. I'm sure you've seen plenty of replies already, but if it hasn't been said yet, let me point out a few things...

Nicotine studies have been done a long time ago.. back in the 80's. They were in regards to smoking, and done with Cigarettes in mind. Since then, Nicotine and Cigarettes have been synonymous with each other.. in otherwords, people think they are one and the same. Later, a guy named Hon Lik (sp?) realized, people smoked for the nicotine, but died from the burning part of it. So, he separated the nicotine from the tobacco leaf, and "boiled" it with something akin to fog juice to simulate smoke. He added flavorings to make it more appealing. thus, an ecig was born.

There is a lot of confusion with people. Nicotine has a bad rap, and many doctors are going by the original studies done in the 80's. The "chemicals" everyone is talking about is pretty much food products and flavorings. Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine, and food flavors are all found in food. Since it boils, it produces no ash, no smoke, but more like a steam. There have been more recent studies separating nicotine from tobacco, and they've found it much safer than what most people think.

depending on how much time, I highly suggest you do some research yourself. If you want, go read the test results. Find out exactly what you're inhaling, and how your body processes it. I've already went down that path, and I found out, it's much safer than a cigarette. I was a former smoker for 20 years, and I'm glad I switched.

And one last thing to note... The news media is all about shock and awe in order to attract readers. I've learned to take what they say, not necessarily as a lie, but more with a grain of salt because of the "shock and awe" type reporting. Most of the news about ecigs include many of the scape goat phrases "may or could", or include testimonies "I think". There are even some studies that cite ecigarettes as dangerous only to find they burned the ejuice to a crisp at a level NOBODY would inhale on a daily basis.

That being said, do YOUR research, and don't let someone's opinion be your research.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Thank you for your well wishes. My ultimate goal is to quit everything. But, one step at a time. And I think vaping is a good first step. Thanks again.

I really do hope you quit. I switched to Ecigs after smoking for 20 years. My mother in law had to use Chantix to quit, but her first attempts with Chantix failed and she went back to smoking. This last time, she used Chantix and then started vaping a zero nic ecig to keep her off.... she's not picked up a cigarette in.. I'd say 2 years. She has COPD as well, and doesn't use her inhaler that much anymore.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Regarding vaping around children, I don't really think the vapor itself causes any harm. It's setting the example that causes concern. Looks like smoking, isn't a normal person just breathing, etc.

Congratulations @Jamie Plum!

So my path has always been to collect data and keep it handy for the nay sayers. It's tough for them to argue when you had them a piece of paper and politely ask them to read.

One of the attachments has good data but unfortunately I somehow missed the grabbing the group that did the study. I still use it just for the charted data.

People are basically clueless and are simply repeating media and government propaganda. If you really want to know what drives this stream of BS do some research on the Master Settlement Agreement (MSA). It's all about the dollars BT gives back to the states. Revenue from the MSA dries up because people quit smoking and everyone's piggy bank goes empty.

Attached is a PDF of the past payments, that alone can give you clarity.

Attachments

• Scientific Study on second hand vapor.pdf
    241.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 10 common questions about e-cigarettes answered.pdf
    364.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Human respiratory tissue test reveals e-cigarette vapour produced similar result as air.pdf
    534.5 KB · Views: 11
  • MSA payments 1999 to 4-2016.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Mystic Meep

Aug 18, 2017
I haven't read the replies yet, but let me explain something.

The FDA has classfied vaping as a tobacco product. because of that, the "standard" warning labels are required to be slapped on to the juices. Those labels were made with Cigarettes in mind.. not ecigs. I'm sure you've seen plenty of replies already, but if it hasn't been said yet, let me point out a few things...

Nicotine studies have been done a long time ago.. back in the 80's. They were in regards to smoking, and done with Cigarettes in mind. Since then, Nicotine and Cigarettes have been synonymous with each other.. in otherwords, people think they are one and the same. Later, a guy named Hon Lik (sp?) realized, people smoked for the nicotine, but died from the burning part of it. So, he separated the nicotine from the tobacco leaf, and "boiled" it with something akin to fog juice to simulate smoke. He added flavorings to make it more appealing. thus, an ecig was born.

There is a lot of confusion with people. Nicotine has a bad rap, and many doctors are going by the original studies done in the 80's. The "chemicals" everyone is talking about is pretty much food products and flavorings. Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine, and food flavors are all found in food. Since it boils, it produces no ash, no smoke, but more like a steam. There have been more recent studies separating nicotine from tobacco, and they've found it much safer than what most people think.

depending on how much time, I highly suggest you do some research yourself. If you want, go read the test results. Find out exactly what you're inhaling, and how your body processes it. I've already went down that path, and I found out, it's much safer than a cigarette. I was a former smoker for 20 years, and I'm glad I switched.

And one last thing to note... The news media is all about shock and awe in order to attract readers. I've learned to take what they say, not necessarily as a lie, but more with a grain of salt because of the "shock and awe" type reporting. Most of the news about ecigs include many of the scape goat phrases "may or could", or include testimonies "I think". There are even some studies that cite ecigarettes as dangerous only to find they burned the ejuice to a crisp at a level NOBODY would inhale on a daily basis.

That being said, do YOUR research, and don't let someone's opinion be your research.
WOW I can't begin to tell you how very informative your reply is. I learn something new with each response I get. I appreciate it so much that you took the time to write all that great information to me. This community is awesome. I am no longer undecided or conflicted about vaping. I feel very confident that it is the right thing for me. Thank you so much for helping me.

Mystic Meep

Aug 18, 2017
So my path has always been to collect data and keep it handy for the nay sayers. It's tough for them to argue when you had them a piece of paper and politely ask them to read.

One of the attachments has good data but unfortunately I somehow missed the grabbing the group that did the study. I still use it just for the charted data.

People are basically clueless and are simply repeating media and government propaganda. If you really want to know what drives this stream of BS do some research on the Master Settlement Agreement (MSA). It's all about the dollars BT gives back to the states. Revenue from the MSA dries up because people quit smoking and everyone's piggy bank goes empty.

Attached is a PDF of the past payments, that alone can give you clarity.
Thank you so much. Today is lazy Sunday and so I will have plenty of time to read all the information you sent to me. I really appreciate your help so much. Thanks again.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
YAY Jamie Plum! I'm so happy that you are feeling more confident about vaping. I don't even want to think of the number of potential vapers that may have been turned off by friends/family/old or badly designed research, and didn't find their way here! Confidence in the fact that what you are doing isn't going to harm you in two days of vaping or be worse than cigarettes is an important component of switching! I can't wait until you start posting on how much better you feel and how your family gets off your case when they SEE it. The guy who first started me vaping has COPD and an oxygen tank, but overall (and he's vaped only for many years) I've watched his skin turn from paper white to a normal color, he uses all his inhalers and oxygen tank much less, and while he says "It's never the same as smoking, you can't expect it to be," I can see that he is SO happy with his decision.

I feel that way too, but I've accepted that what I'm after isn't "like" smoking. I have a product I can use to help me stay away from cigarettes, I can experience enjoyable flavors, I don't stink, and I can have fun mixing my own juices, selecting my own equipment, and feeling proud of my success.

I wish you all the luck, joy, and pleasure in the world in transitioning to vaping, health gains, and being around longer to play with your grandchild! (I much suspect you will also have more energy to *keep up* with your grandkid) :) :)

So glad you found ECF! Stick around and let us know how you are doing (the good, bad, and ugly, all part of the process of finding "your" vape!)

:banana::headbang:
Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Every winter while smoking, I would catch a cold. Almost every time, while my body was busy fighting off the viral infection, a secondary bacterial infection would cause bronchitis and I'd cough until spring.

That doesn't happen any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread