Status
Not open for further replies.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Just got my 5 last night. Seems well built. I really like the shape, fits the hand nicely, though it needs a condom as it's really slippery.

But alas, mine tops out at 120 watts. I thought this was a 200 watt mod. There's a stupid magic thing I have to do to get it to 200 watts, right? Anyone care to explain it to me, please?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Some early batches had a bug where the mod wouldn't exceed a certain wattage. Apparently it's quite easy to overcome that but I don't remember how to do that. I think there was some discussion about it in one of the early reviews, but again I don't remember which reviewer. Sorry that I can't be of more help :-/

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: jambi

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Just got my 5 last night. Seems well built. I really like the shape, fits the hand nicely, though it needs a condom as it's really slippery.

But alas, mine tops out at 120 watts. I thought this was a 200 watt mod. There's a stupid magic thing I have to do to get it to 200 watts, right? Anyone care to explain it to me, please?
A friend just called me with the answer.
120W max with resistance less than .3Ω & 20A batteries.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Did it cure it?
Sort of...I didn't get as far as where you said to go, but while going there I saw that it was set to SX Pure mode, whatever that is. Changed it to manual TC and now it goes up to 200 watts. Strange it would come from the factory default set to that, but whatever, it works now.

@Mowgli I'm at .23 ohms on I assume 20 amp (efest, marked 35 amp) batteries and it fires for me above 120.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Sort of...I didn't get as far as where you said to go, but while going there I saw that it was set to SX Pure mode, whatever that is. Changed it to manual TC and now it goes up to 200 watts. Strange it would come from the factory default set to that, but whatever, it works now.

@Mowgli I'm at .23 ohms on I assume 20 amp (efest, marked 35 amp) batteries and it fires for me above 120.
So it was SX Pure mode that limited it?

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
@Mowgli Appears to have been. Coli Select > SX Pure. Changed it to TCR Manual and I've got full range of wattage now.

I have no idea what an SX Pure coil even is. Maybe a setting for some BS proprietary coil made by P4U?

Edit... when in doubt read the manual:

How to Enjoy the Pure Flavor in Wattage Mode with IPV Pure X2 atomizer

1. Choose "SX Pure" in the menu of "Coil Select" in the Joule mode, then exit from Joule mode to Power mode.
2. Screw the iPV Pure X2 atomizer on iPV 5, then it can support the IPV Pure X2 atomizer with resistance range same as the Joule mode and wattage range of 10-120 watts.

Make it clear to your friend that you need to enter Joule mode to get to coil select, then go back to power mode after you change the coil to TCR Manual, like Paul described above.

Still think it's strange that it's factory set to SX Pure. I've never even heard of Pure X2 atomizer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mowgli

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I got mine and it was also pre-set to SX pure mode. I rarely vape over 75 watts so I didn't really notice until I saw this thread. It is in the correct mode now and does go all the way to 200 watts with a .15 ohm coil. I'm not using it there of course, I turned it down to 75 watts. I don't like that the button has to be clicked every turn of the wattage as it takes forever to raise or lower your wattage, but maybe it's a safety thing. I'll just go in and set my pre-sets and its all good. I love this device.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I got mine and it was also pre-set to SX pure mode. I rarely vape over 75 watts so I didn't really notice until I saw this thread. It is in the correct mode now and does go all the way to 200 watts with a .15 ohm coil. I'm not using it there of course, I turned it down to 75 watts. I don't like that the button has to be clicked every turn of the wattage as it takes forever to raise or lower your wattage, but maybe it's a safety thing. I'll just go in and set my pre-sets and its all good. I love this device.
You can hold down the buttons to raise and lower wattage fast, but it still has that quirky memory function tied to the wattage up button that drives me nuts. To raise wattage, you first have to click the lower button to get it into "adj" mode. PITA that I've been living with since my first IPV 3 back in 2014, where the memory function was just a bad joke since it reset to defaults every time you changed the battery. It really needs a disable option if they insist on including it, though at least it saves your settings correctly now...until you screw them up by accidentally pressing the top button when you're not supposed to...grrr.

Also don't like the quirky way it powers down. Five rapid clicks should be enough, don't waste my time with another button press!

All in all happy, though I still like my Fuchai better in all respects except form factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: gofishtx

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
You can hold down the buttons to raise and lower wattage fast, but it still has that quirky memory function tied to the wattage up button that drives me nuts. To raise wattage, you first have to click the lower button to get it into "adj" mode. PITA that I've been living with since my first IPV 3 back in 2014, where the memory function was just a bad joke since it reset to defaults every time you changed the battery. It really needs a disable option if they insist on including it, though at least it saves your settings correctly now...until you screw them up by accidentally pressing the top button when you're not supposed to...grrr.

Also don't like the quirky way it powers down. Five rapid clicks should be enough, don't waste my time with another button press!

All in all happy, though I still like my Fuchai better in all respects except form factor.
Yes, I dug out the instruction manual. There was a delay of about 2 seconds before the wattage began decreasing faster and I was being impatient. I don't mind just adjusting the wattage from one of the memory modes up or down as needed. It is easy enough and yes that system off button is a bit annoying but still a great device and I just ordered a second one as a back-up. Can't wait for the 6 to be released, it will be more pocket friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread