• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

5 hits per drip, normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epic_Sinner

SG Mod
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Wonderland
Definitely soaking wet and not just a drop bro.

I've tried strumming the single coil setup but it's not any good. So you're saying that I should make the coil as close to the post as possible?

imma try 1 last time for the single coils with an evenly spread out coil. Anyway will running 40w on a single coil be too high?

It should last you a good 5 big hits before it dries up. I run my RDA on .3ohms, dual parallel coiled, whacking at 60w and it gives me at least 5-7 hits before I need to drip again. But then again, the amount of greatness I get from my RDA beats having to chain like 10-15 hits on any tanks out there.

Strumming your coil is to enable them to burn evenly which reduces hotspots. Building as close to the posts as possible only reduces the chances of having your exposed wires having hotspots. There may be a slight difference in reduced time needed to fire up your coils but that difference is insignificant.

Again this is a question of how low your resistance is. For a tank which I run on a .4ohm dual coil, I do not personally even go above 35w. You have to understand the thickness of the liquid you are using, the way your tank is manufactured, the amount of time needed for your wicks to be saturated, the amount of time your wicks can hold those juices, the kind of coils you build and the way you are using your tank. If you are choo choo train and you like to go as many hits as possible and you dislike the dry hit/burnt taste from dried up wicks, I suggest you either go with an RDA or reduce the wattage you are going at. Or you can just use temperature control function (which according to your post you like to go as many long hits as possible and at high power).

javafreak

Aug 13, 2015
Earth
View attachment 482957
This is my woes now with a single coil even reduced it to 25w.

Dude!!!! You have a wick on there! I will never fire until red hot with a wick on. Fix the problems with your coil before you wick. It's too late when the wick comes on.

And yes, 40 watts is very very high, even 25w is high for someone who is still figuring out how to get rid of hot spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iSuck

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2015
It should last you a good 5 big hits before it dries up. I run my RDA on .3ohms, dual parallel coiled, whacking at 60w and it gives me at least 5-7 hits before I need to drip again. But then again, the amount of greatness I get from my RDA beats having to chain like 10-15 hits on any tanks out there.

Strumming your coil is to enable them to burn evenly which reduces hotspots. Building as close to the posts as possible only reduces the chances of having your exposed wires having hotspots. There may be a slight difference in reduced time needed to fire up your coils but that difference is insignificant.

Again this is a question of how low your resistance is. For a tank which I run on a .4ohm dual coil, I do not personally even go above 35w. You have to understand the thickness of the liquid you are using, the way your tank is manufactured, the amount of time needed for your wicks to be saturated, the amount of time your wicks can hold those juices, the kind of coils you build and the way you are using your tank. If you are choo choo train and you like to go as many hits as possible and you dislike the dry hit/burnt taste from dried up wicks, I suggest you either go with an RDA or reduce the wattage you are going at. Or you can just use temperature control function (which according to your post you like to go as many long hits as possible and at high power).
Actually I'm getting a goblin mini soon and will needa stick to this RDA of mine as of now. So till the day comes.....
Dude!!!! You have a wick on there! I will never fire until red hot with a wick on. Fix the problems with your coil before you wick. It's too late when the wick comes on.

And yes, 40 watts is very very high, even 25w is high for someone who is still figuring out how to get rid of hot spots.

I'm firing it to check for hotspots and it's already juiced up and wet will that still be a problem?
Also, like others have stated. Your coil is uneven, spacing not equal, sizing not equal.

When you test the glow, it needs to be done unwicked and the glow should start from inside (middle) to out. The glow should reach the ends of your wrap, but never all the way to your leads (post).

when testing the coils it always starts from the middle out but after I wicked and juiced up there'll be a single wrap that's glowing red hot.

javafreak

Aug 13, 2015
Earth
when testing the coils it always starts from the middle out but after I wicked and juiced up there'll be a single wrap that's glowing red hot.

You might be putting a wick that is too thick and when you pull on it, it could be warping the nicely spaced out coil. Try using a little smaller of a wick so you don't warp the coil.

iSuck

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2015
Errrr. I just got 100pcs of organic cotton from bodyshop for $7.90 and just wicked it so far so good haven't gotten a dry hit yet cos I dare not push it to its limits as I've been trying to fix it the whole day today and quite frustrated already. My Clapton couldn't fit cuz ma post threads are all rounded and can only tighten the usual 28g.

WarA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2015
ah crap, if only I knew. I would not advice you to get cotton from body shop but rather go straight for koh gen do main sg distributerfor 2x the price of bodyshops or you can consider getting puffs organic cotton on amazon(from what I know japanese cotton are all the same due to some cotton law they have so higher priced koh gen do might just be because of the branding rather than product itself). Bodyshop cotton is although usable but the taste a bit off and from what i know might be bleached with safer alternative rather than unbleached. Have since used it for external application of stuff

also random hot legs often appear on mine after awhile probably after 2-3tanks (usually a sign for me to recoil rather than trying to fix it)

Last edited:

iSuck

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2015
ah crap, if only I knew. I would not advice you to get cotton from body shop but rather go straight for koh gen do main sg distributerfor 2x the price of bodyshops or you can consider getting puffs organic cotton on amazon(from what I know japanese cotton are all the same due to some cotton law they have so higher priced koh gen do might just be because of the branding rather than product itself). Bodyshop cotton is although usable but the taste a bit off and from what i know might be bleached with safer alternative rather than unbleached. Have since used it for external application of stuff

also random hot legs often appear on mine after awhile probably after 2-3tanks (usually a sign for me to recoil rather than trying to fix it)
Uh oh. Time to get somemore stuff! My wife's gonna kill me if she knows that I'm spending so much on trying to quit. Bahahaha. Anyway when I get my tank i think I'm just gonna dry burn or dip it in water to clean the coils cos I bought some Clapton and wanna use it slowly. Will only change the coils only if it's really bad.
Too much gunk on cotton and coil can also cause hotspots n weird taste. If able try to change out every few tanks..
I'm still on a RDA for now so tank is quite irrelevant to me as of now lol. But anyway I consulted some guru and said that my coil's orientation is wrong so imma try flip it over and see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread