Cleaning and Re-Using Aspire BVC Coils Without Dry Buning

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I've read many of the hysterical posts about the wick material in Aspire BVC coils. But I've gotten used to all the chicken little hysterical threads on ECF over the years. In the case of Aspire BVC coils I believe the hysteria to be unwarranted. If you believe it then read no further.

I've been using a Nautilus and Naut mini for a few months now. I can afford the BVC coil replacement cost but decided as an old school vaper to try to recycle them rather than just tossing them. I realize that some have managed to rebuild them but I decided to attempt simply re-using them in stock condition. I certainly don't expect many people to adopt my method but here it is for those who might. You'll need an ultrasonic cleaner.

In retrospect my first step was likely overkill but I'll find out with the next batch. My first step was to force warm water through each coil assembly with a dental water pik. I then placed all the rinsed assemblies in a small ultrasonic cleaner having filled the tank with hot tap water. The ultrasonic cleaner was purchased a few years ago in an attempt to recycle cartos. That attempt was doomed to failure.

My inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner runs three minute cycles and shuts off. Given that I probably went through enough cycles to equal 60 minutes total cleaning cycles with 4 or 5 water changes. When the tank water started to remain clear the coils were allowed to air dry for ~48 hours.

The result is that I am vaping one of these recycled coils and the performance is identical to a factory fresh coil. The first 10 or 12 hits carried a somewhat off taste but then cleared completely. This is FWIW. YMMV.

Reactions: WonderDude32

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I tried several chemicals and techniqes for restoring N mini coils and don't get satisfying results. My theory is the wicking gets gunked up until the draw is constricted and liquid can't wick fast enough. The only real solution is fresh wick material. I haven't tried to rewick an N mini coil. May be it's time to watch a youtub video about it and give it a try.

I've got 2 N minis, an atlantis, a Kanger sub tank mini and an egrip with the RBA option and the ones I keep coming back to are the N minis firing at 8 watts. Does that mean I'm a wimp? I would really like to be able to rebuild the N mini coil heads so I can replace them more often.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I have a bunch of the ets bvc tanks that I cycle though throughout the day and I soak the coils in rubbing alcohol overnight and shake them sometimes, in a water bottle. Then i twist up some paper towel really small and stick it in the hole and scrub, then I swish them in the alcohol again and then let them dry. Then prime and smoke. This works pretty well. It's hard to switch from something like cinnamon bun to skittles though cause the cinnamon flavor carries over a bit. Otherwise it's fine. I have all my bdc coils and I'm going to rebuild them as bvcs and see how that goes. I also have a Nautilus mini but haven't had to rebuild a coil yet.

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I have a bunch of the ets bvc tanks that I cycle though throughout the day and I soak the coils in rubbing alcohol overnight and shake them sometimes, in a water bottle. Then i twist up some paper towel really small and stick it in the hole and scrub, then I swish them in the alcohol again and then let them dry. Then prime and smoke. This works pretty well. It's hard to switch from something like cinnamon bun to skittles though cause the cinnamon flavor carries over a bit. Otherwise it's fine. I have all my bdc coils and I'm going to rebuild them as bvcs and see how that goes. I also have a Nautilus mini but haven't had to rebuild a coil yet.

I'd be leery of soaking in rubbing alcohol and then vaping the residue.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
I use to clean my Aspire's with denture tablets and had good results. NOT dry burning has been the only issue I have read about. Have there been others? Just wondering.
Huge fan of denture tabs! They'll leave your gear minty fresh! But don't worry. A little rinse/dry after the soak gets the minty smell out.

Works really well!

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina

Grain alcohol is fine to use. It is derived from the fermenting of grains and is safe to consume (I even use it in my juices and make my menthol with it). Rubbiing alchol contains isoproppyl (which is a chemical). If you were to ingest this, it would make you very sick. This is my understanding and only my 3¢ (inflation). My whole point is just that PGA and rubbing alcohol are two totally different liquids.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Huge fan of denture tabs! They'll leave your gear minty fresh! But don't worry. A little rinse/dry after the soak gets the minty smell out.

Works really well!

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk

JC_ThankYou.gif
very much. I will say the do a much better job on coils than what I originally bought a box for, which was a toilet bowl cleaner. heehee

Bjorhyn

Verified Member
Oct 20, 2014
Colorado
I'd be leery of soaking in rubbing alcohol and then vaping the residue.

I tried soaking them in Everclear overnight (with a thorough rinsing afterward) and didn't notice any improvement. On the contrary, it gave them a foul taste.

Hmmm.. I figured the alcohol evaporates and doesn't leave much if anything. I do have a few bottles of grain I could use though maybe I'll try that.

I've tried the Everclear soak on a few of mine with mixed results.

First couple of coils seemed to de-gunk pretty well, and get me a couple extra days of use.
Second batch I may have left in too long. The white rubber grommets around the base disintegrated. No way I wanted to vape those.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
LMAO well then, I guess I'm not such a tard after all. I have a partial upper plate and thought about using my denture tabs to clean my heads and other vaping hardware.... Wasn't sure about it, but now that I see the posts in here about it I'm gonna take the leap. Plop plop, fizz fizz, oh how great vaping is :thumbs:

Reactions: Foggy Road

VCross

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Yucaipa, California
I'll have to try the grain alcohol method and get back with an update. I've used rubbing alcohol in the past. I'd let the coils soak for an hour or so then let them dry out and soak them in warm water overnight to try to get what's left of the alcohol out and let them dry. It's been pretty hit or miss for me. Sometimes the vape taste just as good as when I first used them and sometimes it comes out tasting like death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread