Can I bring my building tools on a flight as carry on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
I'm flying to Denver tomorrow and this is the first time I've ever flown anywhere and want to know if I can bring my building tools with me when I fly. I'm talking mini screwdrivers, wire, scissors, wire cutters etc. would I be permitted to bring these items considering they're all less than 7 inches long?

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
The scissors will be a no go for sure, As will the screwdrivers... Wire cutters as well, and probably even the Kanthal. Best bet is to check it all. But if you are not sure, go through security with it all and if you can not bring it they will let you leave and check it.

But I can guarantee that most will not be Okay, I used to work in an airport.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I would say no.... I had a Zippo lighter on me one time and they wanted to take it, so I pulled the guts out of it making it in operable ( no way it would light up) and they still took the case ( real gold) due to the fact that " it had sharp edges" . I told them when I return from out of town I will be back to collect the case. They said anything confiscated is non returnable.... so, some yahoo ended up with a chunk of gold which they probably cashed in ....

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'd take only a cheap mod with a cartomizer on the flight. In my pocket would be a 10ml plastic squeeze bottle of juice to top it off as I reached smoking and vaping areas.

My Provari, my Kayfun, and my RBA tools and materials would be checked safely in my bags.

Didn't a recent FAA ruling come out saying that all batteries should be in carry on luggage and not checked? They don't want spewing batteries in the cargo hold mid flight creating a fire. I don't know how they would contain a spewing mod in a briefcase in the passenger compartment. Cargo shipments of bulk L-ion batteries on passenger planes have been banned.

http://www.hazardouswasteexperts.com/2015-phmsa-regulation-shipping-lithium-batteries/

What the 2015 Regulations Mean

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) prohibition on lithium metal batteries transported as cargo on passenger airlines has already gone into effect a week ago on January 1st, 2015. The ICAO ruling also imposes more stringent regulations on the shipments of lithium-ion batteries when packaged alone and not inside devices or equipment. This ruling will affect international shipping, as shipping li-ion batteries by passenger plane is already banned in the U.S.

Not only do the PHMSA, FAA, and ICAO regulations impose more rules on bulk air shipments of these batteries, but those shipping consumer electronics, medical devices, and power tools will also face tighter scrutiny.

For the PHMSA and FAA regulation coming on February 6th, 2015, this means that more detailed and accurate marking, labeling, and documentation will be necessary for all shippers of lithium batteries. Businesses must also declare the status of their lithium battery shipments. The requisite amount of battery packaging will be changed as well, to hopefully lead to greater safety across the board. These stipulations, which were before optional to companies, must be met, or else face businesses could face delays of shipments, returns, or in some cases, fines.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that pliers/screwdrivers/any kind of cutter would be a no-go in your carry-on. They've recently loosened up some of the restrictions, I do remember seeing that nail clippers and files are now OK, but the last time we flew my old man forgot and left his leatherman tool in his pants pocket and they took it. I had no problem last fall flying with my ego batteries and juice, and I know that other people have been OK flying with other batteries and mods and that they want you to put batteries in a case in your carry-on and might even take them out of your checked luggage if they see them in there.

I'd check anything pointy, just to be on the safe side.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
The TSA list of prohibited items says that scissors with blades less than 4" are only permitted in checked luggage. There is nothing on the prohibited list about nail clippers so you could take those in a carry-on to cut wire.

The TSA lists screwdrivers 7" in length or less as OK for both checked and carry on luggage. That said, I would error pretty far on the small and cheap side for any screwdrivers. Something small is less likely to catch unwarranted attention and no big loss if they unfairly confiscate something cheap.

greyclouds

Dec 4, 2014
Philippines
Is there any news on the rumoured philippine designed "next generation" induction coil/ wirelessly powered prototype? I learned that most of the ecig mod, mech, box designs are philippinos that are light years advanced but work with the most basic of tools, but have come up with designs that the chinese blatantly copy. (like my old plumeveil clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread