iStick 20w with SubTank nano?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDvon91

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2015
UK, South Yorkshire
Hi all :D

So I'm currently set up with an istick 50w and a SubTank (big un) all thanks to you guys im in Vape Heaven.

want i want to ask is this -

My Girlfriend is now getting more into vaping and hasnt touched a Cigarette in quite some time. she has an iStick 20w and loves it (cos its pink -_- )

but she's not liking the tanks (aspire Viva Nova, one with a cross on it (completely forgot the name) and a protank 3 mini)

Shes tried my subtank AND LOVES IT! she's liking the airy draw and the ultimate flavour.

My question is she likes to vape at around 3.0-3.3V. Will the Istick 20w be able to SAFELY handle the protank nano with the 1.2ohm coil in?

I've told her she may have to up the power abit but other than that she should be fine right?

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
It might be ok but she would be better with a 30w stick to be honest. In any case, for the 1.2ohm subtank coil, the stick would regulate at a max 20w which would correspond to something like 4.9V. Even if she set it to a higher voltage it wouldn't go there.
In my experience, the nano with the 1.2ohm coil works best around 15-18w so sthe stick will handle it but the vape at 3.3v might not be great as this would be around 9w - too low imho. So, I still think she would be better off with the 30w to give some head room and let her try a 0.5ohm coil if she wants to! The nano is a fantastic tank btw.

hth!

steve

Last edited:

BigDvon91

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2015
UK, South Yorkshire
It might be ok but she would be better with a 30w stick to be honest. In any case, for the 1.2ohm subtank coil, the stick would regulate at a max 20w which would correspond to something like 4.9V. Even if she set it to a higher voltage it wouldn't go there.
In my experience, the nano with the 1.2ohm coil works best around 15-18w so sthe stick will handle it but the vape at 3.3v might not be great as this would be around 9w - too low imho. So, I still think she would be better off with the 30w to give some head room and let her try a 0.5ohm coil if she wants to! The nano is a fantastic tank btw.

hth!

steve

What limitations are we talking about? She really doesnt look for massive clouds or throat hit! She likes a cool draw thats airy with "nothing to choke on" as she puts it.

She will never get to above 4V on her mod, when ever she grabs mine she knocks it down from 5.2 to usually 3.4 ish!

Aslong as its safe and shes gunna get decent flavour thats all shes bothered about

PS If shed let me get her a 30w i would lol!

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Basically, if you buy the istick 20, you're stuck using the 1.2 ohm heads in the mini. The 20 watt istick only safely fires down to 1 ohm.

Even with the 1.2 ohm heads, the sweet spot is still somewhere in the 22-25 watt range (versus about 25-28 for the 0.5 ohm heads). You won't be getting the flavor potential out of the tank.

I'd either a) talk her into the 30 watt box (awesome combo, btw) or b) if she's hung up on the 20 watt istick, get a tank like the Nautilus mini which will take better advantage of the lower wattage. It'll actually perform better on the 20 istick than the Nano will.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Just an FYI regarding the iStick 20 watt.

There are a few problems with regard to it's circuitry (it measures mean not RMS). It is not capable of down regulating power (it is widely inaccurate, especially at lower voltages). What is displayed on the screen is not what you are actually getting.

If you are interested in seeing more about what is really going on with the iStick see a great post by fellow ECF member Peraspera: Wattage Ranges for Specific Ohm Builds Using iStick Specs

Wissel Joe

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2015
Medina, Ohio
I have a Nano on a istick 20 the 1.2 coil is fine, the nano is not my favorite tank but from 8-15 watts its more than enough.
folding4.jpg folding2.jpg

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
You don't need to subohm to get flavor..i think that will be a pretty good combo but I would go with the mini so that you can reduild it down the road if you want. The aspire nautilus is decent too, great flavor and will work perfectly with her current battery. No need to buy all new gear if she hasn't outgrown it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread