Newer tech much harsher on nicotine delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
One thing I have noticed with the subtank is the amount of condensation build-up in the air flow tube and drip tip. When I leave it to sit for a while, my first vape on it will be harsher with a lot of throat hit. I figured it's partly this condensate draining back into the coil and giving me a steamy vape.

I don't know if that's true or not, but my own deduction from my own observations. I just take much slower shallower pulls for the first couple when I've let it sit for a while.

Just throwing it out there, may not be the issue in your case though.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I just got my Subtank Mini, running too thin 12mg juice (all I have for now) on the 1.2 ohm coil head. I've had a lot of loud popping juice issues due to the overly thin juice, so for now I'm running it at around 18 watts (on an iStick 30), with the air intake set to the 2-hole position. Even setup that way, for 2 second long mouth-to-lung drags, 12mg juice is too strong. My incoming order of juice is 6mg nicotine strength, and I'm pretty sure now that my next order will be 3mg strength - especially if I want to take longer, more flavorful, higher wattage, vape heavy drags. The device is a pretty good piece of equipment I'm still getting used to, as it is capable of much more than I'm willing to get out of it with what I have to run in it for now.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
I vaped at 12 to 18 mg but now with the Subtank and Atlantis my all day is 3mg and my overnight "need to stay awake" vape is 6mg. Even with the 6 I have to limit the length of draw or I'll get a harsh throat hit.

When I got my fist Atlantis I didn't get new juice because I had around 400ml of my favorites on hand. Well 5 minutes into my new Atlantis on an IPV3 and I had worst nic buzz I had ever experienced to the point where I was driving home and had to pull off the freeway and park for about 20 minutes.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Just got my 6mg non-PG Mythos Athena juice in today, trying it out right now on the Subtank Mini. Much better than my thin 12mg juice I was using before, as far as performance. No more popping when first taking a drag (regardless of which air hole I'm on), but the coil still crackles some at higher wattages - which I think is normal. 6mg juice is still clearly too much, but it is more manageable when taking mouth-to-lung hits. Even using 1.2 ohm heads, I think the Subtank may just be too hot a vape for me. I'm still struggling to get it running in a way that I will prefer over an iClear 16 set at around 3.5 volts. So far, the Subtank has a propensity for making me cough, even at just 12 watts. At 12 watts it really isn't that much of a vapor machine anymore. Going to an even lower strength juice would help, but I'm feeling even that won't be enough. I may have to try building a higher resistance coil on the Subtank's RBA deck, but I was really hoping to avoid rebuilding again. I may have to give up on the idea of using a "sub ohm" tank altogether.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Just got my 6mg non-PG Mythos Athena juice in today, trying it out right now on the Subtank Mini. Much better than my thin 12mg juice I was using before, as far as performance. No more popping when first taking a drag (regardless of which air hole I'm on), but the coil still crackles some at higher wattages - which I think is normal. 6mg juice is still clearly too much, but it is more manageable when taking mouth-to-lung hits. Even using 1.2 ohm heads, I think the Subtank may just be too hot a vape for me. I'm still struggling to get it running in a way that I will prefer over an iClear 16 set at around 3.5 volts. So far, the Subtank has a propensity for making me cough, even at just 12 watts. At 12 watts it really isn't that much of a vapor machine anymore. Going to an even lower strength juice would help, but I'm feeling even that won't be enough. I may have to try building a higher resistance coil on the Subtank's RBA deck, but I was really hoping to avoid rebuilding again. I may have to give up on the idea of using a "sub ohm" tank altogether.

Dropping the Nic level once more should clear up that issue. Going from the 1.2 to the .5 coil, I noticed that the amount of vapor didn't change all that much, though it did become warmer. The reason it feels so harsh is its atomizing a lot more juice at once, so your Nic intake is much higher. I was using 21mg juice in my aerotanks..... But 6mg is absolutely max for me on my sub tanks, and depending on the juice brand/flavor sometimes 6 is a little too high and I need to mix a 6mg with a 3mg to use it

Cicatrize

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Michigan
I have no idea why this thread completely slipped my mind, but since I posted this, I picked up an iStick 30W and am now using the 0.5ohm OCC heads at about 28W, and it's lovely. However, they don't last long, lol. Currently I'm on a new one and it's 0.6ohm and I'm running it at 23W which is fine, but I'm trying to rebuild the OCC coils at home, with little success so far (posted a thread about it in coils).

That being said, I'm loving 6mg juice. I think it's perfect for what I want, and the sub-ohm coils are quite great except when I'm trying to do a little ghost vaping.

DavidAmonettNashville

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Nashville,Tn
I have no idea why this thread completely slipped my mind, but since I posted this, I picked up an iStick 30W and am now using the 0.5ohm OCC heads at about 28W, and it's lovely. However, they don't last long, lol. Currently I'm on a new one and it's 0.6ohm and I'm running it at 23W which is fine, but I'm trying to rebuild the OCC coils at home, with little success so far (posted a thread about it in coils).

That being said, I'm loving 6mg juice. I think it's perfect for what I want, and the sub-ohm coils are quite great except when I'm trying to do a little ghost vaping.

Have you tried leaving the stock Coil in place and just Re-wicking it with your own cotton?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Find yourself an almost clear e-liquid you can enjoy and give that a try. I DIY and most of my Mixes can be run 7-10 Tank fills(4.5ml per)
Darker mixes only work for 3-4 fills.
Kanger Subtank Coils are perfect for rebuilding. A few videos already exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread