Need help for choosing new Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merridew

Feb 24, 2015
New York
I've been vaping for less than a year, but I've has inconsistent results with my gear.

I currently have a CF VV battery with a Nautilus mini along with a triton VV with regular Halo tank.

I used to have a great Vape experience with the Triton but now I get that rubbery taste every so often. Support told me it was because I didn't let the wicks soak, so I tried again with another coil and had the same result after a few hours.

CF + VV is fine I guess, but I'm not getting the same flavor with the Halo juices.

I was thinking about switching to dripping but I know nothing about the subject. Do you still need to replace coils when you drip?

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
With dripping you need to make your own coils and wick them as well please don't take offense but for now dripping is a bit more technical then your ready for. The above is a very good suggestion istick50 is very user friendly and the subtank mini comes with a rba section so that you can practise coiling and having the premade heads whilst your learning. I'm more towards safe vaping and have seen first hand what can happen when people go too quickly with vaping hence the caution I expressed.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I get that same taste after a few hours. I change flavors (different tank) and all is well. I find flavors are not as "clear" after my taste buds got over the newness of the flavor. I run a few tanks at once.

I even find some flavors that are good as a "change-up" to just kind of cleaning/resetting my taste buds.

EvlSmrk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
Pulaski, NY
I'd follow the advice above before diving into dripping simply to avoid the flavor issue that you are experiencing. Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from stepping into RDA's, building coils, and dripping in general...I love it, but it does come with it's own nuances that might turn away a new vaper. The subtank series are great devices, based on reviews and comments from everyone I know that has tried one. The Isticks are also quite popular and great little devices with good capabilities. Especially for a low hassle arrangement that is versatile. Good luck on your journey and remember that no matter what you are dealing with, it still beats the stinkies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
They still sell the old time "drip atomizers" that you DON'T have to make coils for. These are factory made juice delivery devices, are relatively simple to maintain (occasionally dry burning the coil) and last for several weeks. These only hold a few drops of e-liquid at a time, at which point you must add more if you wish to continue vaping.

atomizer-3_zpsb9f3eb17.jpg

AltSmoke Dripping Atomizers

Proper Terminology: Juice Delivery Devices

Merridew

Feb 24, 2015
New York
No offense taken and thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I will go with the I Stick and Kanger after I do some research on them. I don't suppose there's a place I could order both from so I can save on shipping?

One quetion I have about the Kanger Subtank is what's the difference between organic cotton coil and rebuildable atomizer?

Krashman Von Stinkputin

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
Missouri
They still sell the old time "drip atomizers" that you DON'T have to make coils for. These are factory made juice delivery devices, are relatively simple to maintain (occasionally dry burning the coil) and last for several weeks. These only hold a few drops of e-liquid at a time, at which point you must add more if you wish to continue vaping.

View attachment 420600

AltSmoke Dripping Atomizers

Proper Terminology: Juice Delivery Devices

Great for those flavors that aren't tank worthy or satisfy with only a couple of toots!

Shotglass

Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
Houston, TX
It could be a mild case of vapor's tongue. I'd try Frenchfry's recommendation first:
change flavors (different tank) and all is well.... just kind of cleaning/resetting my taste buds.

To answer your original question: You don't need to change the coils in a dripper unless you want to change your build or pop one. Dripping can be a bit of a hassle sometimes but when you have a set-up that works and you like then it can last for a long time. I have had coils last in my 454 for several months...only changing the cotton and cleaning the coils when I change flavors.
I just switched to a Doge v2 and, since I'm satisfied with the set-up, I plan to keep using the same coil for as long as it'll last.

IMO, don't worry about those who are saying it's too technical for you...you didn't provide any information about your technical ability (other than flavor issues) so they have almost nothing on which to base their opinions (no offense to them intended). Back in August I made the switch from a tank to dripping after only a month of vaping, so if you've been vaping for around a year then, imo, go for it. If you're gonna make the jump into dripping then I'd recommend doing a bit of research to find an atty with favorable reviews, get a VW mod and do some research on battery safety and coil building.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
The heads are prebuilt you just screw them in, put some eliquid directly on the coil through the top hole about 5-6 drops then put a drop or two through the two cotton holes on the sides of the head and just screw it in. The rba section comes with a coil preinstalled but no wick you get some cotton for wicking in the box enough for a good couple of builds and you get some spare coils in the box as well. If you look on YouTube for "wicking a kayfun" you'll get a good amount to watch and find which style suits you best. If your new to rebuildables a coil jig will help you there but you can keep one if the spares you get to have an idea of what you need to do. If you decide to get into your own coils get yourself an ohms checker to make sure your coils are safe and they are the resistance you want 2-in-1 Ohm & Voltage Meter that's what they look like.

Merridew

Feb 24, 2015
New York
IMO, don't worry about those who are saying it's too technical for you...you didn't provide any information about your technical ability (other than flavor issues)

Glad to see someone picking up on that. :p I've actually watched countless videos on building coils, micro-coils, resistance and wicking. I thought people on this forum were quick to jump to conclusions. :p

It could be a mild case of vapor's tongue. I'd try Frenchfry's recommendation first

It makes sense as Ive vaped several tanks of that flavor before noticing the different taste. Ill try this too.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been vaping for less than a year, but I've has inconsistent results with my gear.

I currently have a CF VV battery with a Nautilus mini along with a triton VV with regular Halo tank.

I used to have a great Vape experience with the Triton but now I get that rubbery taste every so often. Support told me it was because I didn't let the wicks soak, so I tried again with another coil and had the same result after a few hours.

CF + VV is fine I guess, but I'm not getting the same flavor with the Halo juices.

I was thinking about switching to dripping but I know nothing about the subject. Do you still need to replace coils when you drip?

I highly recommend using an rda if you're interested in wrapping your own coil and being able to adjust your coil or wick or whatever at any time.
Just use 30 gauge kanthal.
With a tank you basically have to depend on the wicking between the tank and the coil to keep match your vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread