High ohms Kayfun v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
So I've been using a kayfun v4 and provari p3 using the hybrid connector and have never been able to get th ohms below 2 using .2mm guage kanthal bought from Vape escape one 2 mm coiling tool and about 6 wraps was initially happy with that but after reading the results other users are having they typically end up around 1.2 1.4 ohms using far more wraps then I have been using I tried to increase my coil diameter to 2.5 mm and the ohms exploded to 5 ohms making it unusable I have noticed that my spring in the kayfun gets incredibly dirty and charred with what I can describe only as soot if anyone has any insights into what could be going on I would much appreciate it ive been enjoying my kayfun but I'm still looking for that mind blowing Vape I keep reading about

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
That sounds like 32g kanthal. I prefer 30 or 28, depending on what I'm building. You might consider twisting a length of the .2mm kanthal - that will give you thicker wire and more surface area on which the juice can vaporize. I found a number of videos on twisting wire - easiest was a guy who took a length and looped one end around the pocket clip of a pen. Then twisted the cut ends together and held in a pair of pliers. Simply rolled the pen on his leg until he got the appropriate twist "density". I've started doing this with some of my 30g (I have a rather large spool of it, and a limited supply of 28g at the moment.) Seems to act more like 28g now, which I enjoy in my rebuildables. I even managed to pull off a 3-strand twist and rebuilt a Kanger OCC head for one of my Nanos!

Good luck!

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
For reference: Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Twist 2 strand of the 32 together, wrap that 8 time on a 2mm mandrel. Should come out at about somewhere between 1.55 and 1.8 depending on tension.
I twist my wire by hand with the help of gravity. I take 2 or 3 feet of that wire and form it into a U, hang the U over a hook, I then twist the 2 loose ends together around this little S-hook thingy I made. Now I have the wire hanging, from a hook above my work bench and another hook hanging from the bottom. This bottom hook is made from bailing wire, from it I hang 3 - 1" Snap-on open/box wrenchs as weights. Now I got a couple pounds hang on the wire applying tension, I let that rest a bit. come back and twist away gently spinning the stack of wrenches, 20-25 turns. hold that a few minutes and then slowly let it unwind, let it rest, and repeat, until desired twist pitch is gained.
Sounds like you got some frustration going, time to take a breath. The jump to 5ohm sounds like a loose connection

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
On the other hand, what's the problem with 2 ohms? To get higher heat in the coil, simply crank your Provari voltage up.

6 volts into 2 ohms will give you 18 watts. That should be more than enough for a Kayfun. That's a current draw of 3 amps by the atomizer coil.

Higher ohm coils made of smaller wire are not all bad. One thing about the smaller wire is it will get to vaping heat a lot faster than a coil made with larger wire.

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
Haha I am going to try twisting and nothing so much as a problem it was more a concern that maybe my provari wasn't reading ohms correctly or the corrosion on the spring was negatively affecting it which I'm sure it is but not as dramatically as I origionally thought on that note though has anyone used a Kayfun 4 with the p3 boost setting mine throws a error message up every time I ise it regaurdless on what coil it still fires but says the output might be too high for my current set up

cinetrope

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Joshua Tree, CA
I use 28 AWG kanthal and 7 wraps with the legs is usually right around 1.5Ω. Every time I rewick I split the build deck from the base, rinse both halves, blow out excess water, and allow it to air dry before reassembly. If the spring between these two sections looks like it's getting compressed I give it a gentle tug to ever so slightly lengthen it. Also worth noting; you should have your juice control fully open to get an accurate and stable resistance reading.

VizagDude

Apr 25, 2015
Hello, I am new to building coils and vaping in general. Started vaping close to 3 months now. Bought myself a P3 starter kit. Started reading about the Kayfun V4 and ordered one from Provape.com

I looked at a lot of videos on how to build a coil. Ordered the Kanthal 28 AWG and a Japanese cotton. I am on my 2nd coil build. I have 8 wraps and my resistance for most part is 1.0 OHM, but sometimes it shows up as .99 and 1.1 OHMs on my P3

I usually Vape around 11W

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I have noticed that my spring in the Kayfun gets incredibly dirty and charred with what I can describe only as soot if anyone has any insights into what could be going on.

Wow. I've never seen that happen to a spring, but it sounds to me like a poor electrical connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread