Time to venture into sub ohming... Kinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

xDarkRelic

Feb 2, 2015
Texas
So I've had a few various egos here and there, and I've loved them. My favorite has been the Aspire CF mod I currently have with the nautilus mini. I feel like it's about time to step my game up. Kinda.

I want to get into sub ohming. It looks fun and the vapor is impressive. I'm not normally one to vape in public, but at my desk at home it'll add some more fun to vaping I think.

I just don't know where to start. I don't really want to build coils or anything like that. I'd rather go with a tank that can sub ohm. Down the line I'll start building my coils, but now I don't want too. I want to see if it's really for me first.

So my question of the topic. What are some good kits that are basically starter kits for this? I've been looking at the ego one, and the aspire cf variant. The aspire is a tad too big, so I don't really want that. And to be honest I want more of a box mod.

I'm looking to spend around 70 for everything. Anyone want to suggest me a good box mod and tank kit that'll help me sub ohm? Thanks for any help!

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I second the iStick 50w and Subtank mini. I have it and love it. The subtank mini has coils to buy but also an RBA deck to build coils on which is what I do now. Great little setup at 4.5ml juice capacity. It comes with 2 prebuilt coils for the rba deck as well. Suck my mod and even Rip Trippers did a good tutorial on building them.

Atlantis isn't a bad tank and people are rebuilding the heads but there isn't an RBA deck that I know of.

I have used the 50w with both the subtank mini and the atlantis.

xDarkRelic

Feb 2, 2015
Texas
Is that the subtank on the left? That'd look really nice with the red on black. I just might have to look into it.

And I know this sounds weird but I hate getting a device and getting scratches all over it from my pocket. How well does it fare to scratches from every day use?

Or alternatively, are there any matte type boxes? Something that won't have any worry of scratches?

Definitely gonna look into the subtank. How well does the coils last ya?

And thanks guys.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I came across this site today, and was pretty blown away by some of the deals they are offering. The one that caught my eye as something that may interest you quite a bit was this:

MINI SUBTANK KIT, + Kangertech K-Box + A 5 PACK OF COILS + A 5 PACK OF COLORED O-RINGS - Vape Super Saver

It's a Subtank Mini starter kit that comes with:

Subtank Mini
5 replacement OCC Coils (Your choice of 1.2 or .5 Ohms)
Kanger K-Box 40W mod
A set of different colored O-Rings so you can customize your Subtank

All for 69.99. Pretty good deal... All you would need are some 18650 batteries and a charger and you're good to go... for a while LoL

And it has the RBA assembly for when you want to give rebuilding a go.

I too will pour a glass of the Kangertech Kool Aid and say ST Mini.

or...

Do you have a vape shop in your area? If you do, you could always go and get a RDA off them, something like a Hobo, Freakshow, Magma, etc. Have them build your coils for it, and learn how to clean and rewick. Rewicking is easier than fully rebuilding, and you can keep a set of coils running for months as long as you treat them well. That should be enough time for you to learn up on rebuilding, get some "face time" with higher wattage vaping, and decide if it's for you. If it isnt, a dripper is gonna be a good bit cheaper than a high-output clearo.

Just a differential opinion.

xDarkRelic

Feb 2, 2015
Texas
I'm heavily considering stealing dbrands set up with the istick50w and subtank mini hahaha. The blue and red look sweet together. I will definitely check out the other suggestions though.

2 quick questions so I won't have to make a topic later :p

1.Is sub ohming at .5 with 50/50 juice gonna be okay? Or should I need a different ratio? And how often are the coils gonna need replacing? I'm gonna order a few extras while I'm at it!

2. I have no idea about wattage. What's a good starting point?

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I'm heavily considering stealing dbrands set up with the istick50w and subtank mini hahaha. The blue and red look sweet together. I will definitely check out the other suggestions though.

2 quick questions so I won't have to make a topic later :p

1.Is sub ohming at .5 with 50/50 juice gonna be okay? Or should I need a different ratio? And how often are the coils gonna need replacing? I'm gonna order a few extras while I'm at it!

2. I have no idea about wattage. What's a good starting point?

To answer the other question, yes the left is the subtank. I don't use the black iStick because it's my dads actually. So I got a different color for when we spend the day together he won't take mine by mistake.

I am using 40pg/60vg in it right now, it's not a problem and wicks fine. I don't feel 50/50 would be bad. Plus the iStick reads the .5 coil as .6 ohms.
Which coils? The OCC ones I got a week out at 23 watts before I went to the RBA Deck. However this would rely on your juice you have in it. I am using unflavored so my coils seem to last longer than some coils with flavored on it.

I absolutely love the subtank mini at 23 watts. Not too warm, can get a 3 second pull from it. It has a timer on it haha, so I see I do 3 seconds each time.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Building coils isn't hard at all once you wind a few. A coil lasts me a couple of months and wick changes are easy if you buy the right tank. I can change the wick and refill the juice in less than 5 minutes in my Kayfun 4, filling from the bottom.

I you don't mind buying pre-made coil heads the Kanger Subtank gets good reviews.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I've used juice ranging from 50/50 to as high as 85VG/15PG in my Subtank and have had no problems in it wicking properly. I do tend to run my Subtank a little lower (I use it around 22-24 watts) and even though I use fairly sweet juices, the coil lasts me a good two weeks. And it's not really the coils that needs replacing per se, but more the wicking material. Honestly, I think the performance of the Atlantis subtank is comparable to the Subtank Mini. They are exactly the same size, although because of the much thicker base, the Atlantis only holds 2 ml of liquid versus the 4 in the Subtank Mini.

The Subtank does come with an RBA so that gives it a slight advantage in that you can build your own coils. The Atlantis does not offer a RBA. However, I have heard that you can get an aftermarket RBA that works with the Atlantis. And looking at the videos online, rebuilding the stock Atlantis coils seem pretty simple. One advantage that the Atlantis has over the Subtank (and the reason why I prefer the Atlantis to the Subtank) is that the Atlantis provides a much cooler vape than the Subtank (and I am running my Atlantis at a higher wattage, 25 watts). Another advantage is that the Atlantis sells for about 25-30 percent less than the Subtank. This is especially true now that the Atlantis V2 is coming out this week, so a lot of the stores are trying to clear out their old stock. I've seen current pricing on the original Atlantis as low as $25, versus $35 and up for the Subtank Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread