Not open for further replies.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Hey folks,

Have been getting into vaping on temp control (DNA40) devices with Nickel Wire builds in RDAs. Does anyone have experience with cleaning these builds to extend life? You can't dry-burn Nickel Wire the way you can Kanthal so I haven't figured out a way to clean these builds other than rinsing as well as possible and rewicking.

Hate the idea of having to rebuild every time but if that is what needs to happen I'll do it.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
I have found rewicking is fine, only difference is that you have to be very gentle as the wire is soft so it is easy to disturb the coil. My point is more around how to get the crud off the coils as you can't dry burn it off. I have Kanthal builds I have been vaping on for months that still perform really well, liven right back up with a good rinse and dry burn from time to time. I have a feeling that the Nickel you have to rebuild when you get to the point when a dry burn is needed.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I have seen people dry burn the coils prior to wicking to get rid of hot spots. I don't know why you couldnt dry burn them to clean them? I haven't tried it, so just a thought.
:2c: Dirk

I think the problem with dry burning nickel coils is that if you do it on a temp control mod, the temp control kicks in before it glows red. If it didn't, because the nickel wire is so soft, it would actually melt.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
From what I understand you should never dry burn a nickel wire build, doing so can not only damage the coil but there is debate that it could alter the composition of the wire itself making it unsafe to vape. Not a lot of info out there on nickel wire for vaping yet but that is what I gather thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread