Taste issues with Kanger Subtank Mini.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeby5

May 12, 2015
I am new to the mod world and I entered the foray with an IStick 30 and a Kanger Subtank Mini. When I use an old cheapo tank that came off an earlier Ego my juice taste fine. It's a 2.7 ohm coil set at 7.5 watts at 4.5 volts.The problem is the taste with my Kanger hooked up. It is very harsh. I also do not get the same visible exhaust (sorry, but I can't think of another term :) ) I operate it at about the same watts. I have tried both a sub ohm coil and a 1.2 ohm coil. I have also tried different air intake settings. One thing to note: The cheapo tank gives me a much tighter draw (It's harder to draw in the air). I have adjusted the Kanger down to the smallest inlet and the resistance still seems very easy.

Would the difference in resistance of the coils affect the taste with running the same power. Do some juices just not taste good with different tanks? I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I assembled it wrong by leaving out something but for the life of me I can't see what? I did insert a little piece of cotton in one of the coils which was foreign to me.

Any ideas? Fire away and don't assume anything. Again, I am ignorant with these mods so I am learning here. Thanks a bunch :)

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
hi homeby5. Most people who move into the Subtank area greatly decrease their nicotine level in the juice. The Subtank is somewhat of a guzzler compared to the eGo tanks. The better the delivery device the more nicotine you'll get. Nicotine can be harsh. On my Subtanks I use the 1.2 ohm coil, small single airflow, and vape at 15 to 18 watts. It is a much airier draw, so I got smaller opening drip tips, as I am a mouth to lung type of vape.

To prime the coils, put 4 drops of juice directly on the cotton in the coil and add a drop of juice to both sides where the cotton shows on the side of the factory OCC coil heads. If you've burnt a coil you'll have to change it out or swap the cotton (in the rebuildable deck). Don't throw away the old factory OCC coils (square looking thingy) they can be recoiled and wicked easily (you tube videos).

Good luck.

Reactions: Robert Dean

Robert Dean

May 10, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
hi homeby5. Most people who move into the Subtank area greatly decrease their nicotine level in the juice. The Subtank is somewhat of a guzzler compared to the eGo tanks. The better the delivery device the more nicotine you'll get. Nicotine can be harsh. On my Subtanks I use the 1.2 ohm coil, small single airflow, and vape at 15 to 18 watts. It is a much airier draw, so I got smaller opening drip tips, as I am a mouth to lung type of vape.

To prime the coils, put 4 drops of juice directly on the cotton in the coil and add a drop of juice to both sides where the cotton shows on the side of the factory OCC coil heads. If you've burnt a coil you'll have to change it out or swap the cotton (in the rebuildable deck). Don't throw away the old factory OCC coils (square looking thingy) they can be recoiled and wicked easily (you tube videos).

Good luck.
Thank you for explaining. I didn't have time to type all of that as I am currently driving. Haha.

homeby5

May 12, 2015

Good luck.
My juice is 12mg nicotine and is 50/50 PG/VG. BUT I only use a little of this and mix it in the tank with a majority of juice that has no nicotine. If I understand correctly, you are saying that the same juice mixture used in my eGo tank will deliver less nicotine than my Kanger which will make it more harsh? Hmmm.....that makes sense to me and something I didn't understand. BTW....I did prime my coil and have even tried different coils.

As far as upping the power, I'm a little nit confused and maybe you can educate me. I change my voltage settings when I switch between my Kanger and my eGo since the resistance is different. I try to keep the power the same as my eGo. So, should I up my power when I go to my Kanger? I believe you but I am simply trying to understand....

Thanks guys :)

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
My juice is 12mg nicotine and is 50/50 PG/VG. BUT I only use a little of this and mix it in the tank with a majority of juice that has no nicotine. If I understand correctly, you are saying that the same juice mixture used in my eGo tank will deliver less nicotine than my Kanger which will make it more harsh? Hmmm.....that makes sense to me and something I didn't understand. BTW....I did prime my coil and have even tried different coils.

As far as upping the power, I'm a little nit confused and maybe you can educate me. I change my voltage settings when I switch between my Kanger and my eGo since the resistance is different. I try to keep the power the same as my eGo. So, should I up my power when I go to my Kanger? I believe you but I am simply trying to understand....

Thanks guys :)

The Subtank is more efficient in both the burning of the juice (consumption) and the delivery of nicotine than the higher resistance 2.7 ohm coil eGo. Much difference. The lower you go in the resistance (from 2.7 to 1.2) the more power (watts) you can apply (and probably should) to get to the juice sweet spot (where it tastes the best). I use 15 to 18 watts (4.6 to 4.8 volts) on a 1.2 ohm coil in my Subtanks (your mileage may vary).

As to your nic... you say you are diluting 12 mg in the eGo...then you should dilute it even more in the Subtank.

(Subtank 1.2 ohm coil directions) Click 3 times on the iStick fire button to set it to watts... adjust the watts to 15, the iStick will regulate the volts as it does the math for you. Take a hit and see how it feels. If it's too warm , lower and try again. If it's not flavorful enough raise it one or two and hit it again. WHen you find the "sweet spot" of your vape...hold down BOTH arrows for a few seconds until the iStick says "LOCKED". Then the volts/watts won't move if you accidently hit an arrow. Use the same to UNLOCK.

When you go back to the eGo 2.7ohm tank...LOWER the voltage/wattage. I hope this helps. Good luck.

miro011

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2015
Canada
Yeah. The subtank requires more power. 12-25 ways for 1.2 and 15-30 watts for. 5. It says on the coil.

comepletely not true , at 0,5 ohms , 20 watts wide open my vapor is hot , at 25 watts its too hot , on my Lemo 2 with the same build I have to go up to 30 watts to get the same amount of vapor . Id say the Subtank is really power efficient

Reactions: DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
comepletely not true , at 0,5 ohms , 20 watts wide open my vapor is hot , at 25 watts its too hot , on my Lemo 2 with the same build I have to go up to 30 watts to get the same amount of vapor . Id say the Subtank is really power efficient
I meant more power than a standard tank. I have 3 subtanks. I run mine at 16 watts .5 ohm. So I actually agree with you! I just know other people run them higher.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
I've seen it too with the Kanger subtank on low wattage. Seems normal to me that the vapor production is reduced on the subtank with lower wattage settings.

If I use the 1.2Ohm coil on the subtank and step down the air flow it can run okay at about 7.5 to 8w or so and still produce enough vapor to be satisfying, but if using the 0.5Ohm coil at that low of wattage it produces barely any vapor at all. But stepping it up to 15 to 18w and wide open airflow (easier for me straight to lung at wide open) it produces clouds of vapor and almost as good flavor on the salted caramel liquid that I vape.

Each liquid is different you just need to find the temperate zone between flavor and vapor production that is satisfying to you. For my salted caramel it's between 15 and 18w. But on my hot cinnamon the wattage needs to go down to 12w on the .5ohm coil or 9w on the 1.2ohm coil.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I'm very new (like 1 day) to the subtank so this is just a guess. I suspect that your cheapo ego type clearo is using thin (like 32ga) wire. I would guess that the subtank is using thicker (26-28ga) wire to get to the low ohms) What this means is the subtank wire will take longer to heat up. You may need higher watts on the subtank, or a longer button push.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am new to the mod world and I entered the foray with an IStick 30 and a Kanger Subtank Mini. When I use an old cheapo tank that came off an earlier Ego my juice taste fine. It's a 2.7 ohm coil set at 7.5 watts at 4.5 volts.The problem is the taste with my Kanger hooked up. It is very harsh. I also do not get the same visible exhaust (sorry, but I can't think of another term :) ) I operate it at about the same watts. I have tried both a sub ohm coil and a 1.2 ohm coil. I have also tried different air intake settings. One thing to note: The cheapo tank gives me a much tighter draw (It's harder to draw in the air). I have adjusted the Kanger down to the smallest inlet and the resistance still seems very easy.

Would the difference in resistance of the coils affect the taste with running the same power. Do some juices just not taste good with different tanks? I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I assembled it wrong by leaving out something but for the life of me I can't see what? I did insert a little piece of cotton in one of the coils which was foreign to me.

Any ideas? Fire away and don't assume anything. Again, I am ignorant with these mods so I am learning here. Thanks a bunch :)

You know; I wonder if you are trying to run the rba head without wicking it? You have to wick the rba head before using it.
The rectangular head you should be able to use as-is, but the rba head you have to wick it.

Check out youtube for subtank mini builds.

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States

7.5 seems too low. I run mine on the medium air setting and at least 20 watts. Sometimes up to 25 on the .5 ohm coil. More watts gives better flavor. If you go up to 25 plus it starts to taste burnt tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread