I have graduated.... In two ways!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I am once again a happy vaper!!!! Ecstatic to be exact.

Graduation number one:

I have just very successfully rebuilt my first nautilus BVC coil. Wasn't even as difficult as I thought it would be and didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. I am now a forever rebuilder! I was a little worried because I didn't have any wire or filler material here, or so I thought. However, as I posted in the wick and coil section I literally tripped over an old hair blow dryer in my bedroom and did some research and discovered that the heating elements in them are nichrome wire.

I tore that sucker apart and uncoiled all the nichrome wire in it and discovered two things. One, there was actually three different gauges of nichrome in this particular hair dryer, all three kind of close in gauge. Second, different strand of gauge came out to about 20 feet or more each, so I ended up with over 60 feet of nichrome free. Below is a pic of the three strands, the strands go from the thickest gauge on the left to the thinnest on the right:

Nichrome.jpg

So I had my wire but needed filler. I was gonna use this medical gauze I have here but wasn't sure if it was pure cotton or not as there was nothing on the box that said what it is made of. But then my cute little neighbor knocked on my door and asked to borrow a screw driver. I obliged her and on a hunch, her being female and all, I asked if she used those round cotton pads to remove her makeup. She does and gave me a partial pack of about 50. Wooo Hooo, off the the races....

So I queued up Hawkeye's Aspire BVC Rebuild video on Youtube and got to work. I very carefully took apart the 1.8 ohm head that came with my Nautilus and saw what I believe was the problem with it. See the pic below:

Old BVC.jpg

OK, I'm a newb and all.... But that black wick doesn't look right, it looks like it's been burnt. I may be wrong and someone can correct me if so. I only used this once and only got maybe 2 vapes on it before I got the flashing dashes. Plus, while the coil is stretched out here, I did that after disassembling it. I carefully removed the wick from the coil and it was in the two pieces as shown in the epic. They were kind of touching each other inside the wick, but it seems like the wick burnt out and separated or maybe they had broke during manufacturing, or packing, or whatever... At any rate, it does indeed look like a defective coil.

So, I watch Hawkeye's video and build along with him and am very proud to say I believe I rebuilt this coil pretty damn well, you can tell me from the pic:

New BVC.jpg

Is it just me, or is that one sexy looking rebuilt BVC? I used the thinnest gauge nichrome from the pic above and followed Hawkeye's method with the exception of giving my coil three extra wraps. I should have taken a pic of it.... Oh well.

So, with the coil rebuilt I grabbed a beer, put my Nautilus back together with the new rebuild, filled my tank and fired it up. BAZINGA!!!! She fired up at 2.1 ohms!!!! I was aiming for 1.6, but the three extra wraps probably added the extra from what I've read here on amount of ohms to coil wraps and wire gauge. I've now been happily vaping away for the past two and a half hours and the ohms are sticking between 2.0 and 1.9 with the odd jump to 1.7.

I gotta say here too, this is even better than the original Nautilus BVC. Now I understand why people rave about cotton and DIY rebuilds and such. I'm getting a lot more flavor, a much better throat and lung hit, and an awesome natural draw, and I'm not getting that sizzling/gurgling noise I was getting with the stock heads. Which leads me to my second graduation.....

I have broken the Tootle Puffer barrier and am now vaping at 28 watts. :vapor: :banana: Hey, I don't mind Tootle Puffing, but I do like the bigger hit I get with the higher wattage. Been hitting this thing pretty hard though LOL. I never broke down and went back to the stinkys while my unit was down, and a big part of that was because I actually missed my vaping more than the stinkys.... I think a small part was also because I got so preoccupied with solving the issue with my hardware I didn't have time to think about stinkys.

Again, I want to thank everyone who helped out in my original thread about the problem. I love this place man!!!! I'm now a lifer both here and to vaping. Now I can't wait to get more equipment and also start doing DIY juices. :rickroll:

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
OOPS... you said DIY... I have a couple articles for you to read....

DIY
RECIPIES
DIY E-Liquid | E-Cigarette Forum
E-Liquid Recipes | E-Cigarette Forum
For recipes only!!!!!!! | E-Cigarette Forum
EcigExpress Archive Cookbook | Your favorite e-liquid recipes
Clone Recipes | Homemade E-juice Recipes
E-liquid recipes | dot1ml
Flavor Profiles that Pair Together in Recipes - Nouveau RawNouveau Raw
diyRecipeBook
Mega TFA / TPA Recipe Thread : DIY_eJuice
Solid list of DIY clones! : DIY_eJuice
ejuicerecipeforum-the place for DIY e-juice lovers
Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only | E-Cigarette Forum

MANUFACTURERS
The Flavor Apprentice Flavoring Thread | E-Cigarette Forum
The Hangsen Thread | E-Cigarette Forum
Inawera- a few reviews | E-Cigarette Forum
Flavor West DIY flavor review | E-Cigarette Forum
LIST of Capella Flavor Percentages | E-Cigarette Forum
Pure Vapes has 3ml FlavourArt flavorings | E-Cigarette Forum

DIY SUPPLIERS
Bull City Vapor - Best Prices on DIY e-liquid Supplies
Wizard Labs
DIY E-Liquid, Electronic Cigarettes and Wholesale Nicotine & E-Cig Juice | EcigExpress
DIY E-Cig Supplies & E-Cigarette Liquid | Make Your Own E-Liquid | RTS Vapes
Electronic Cigarettes | E-Liquids - MyFreedomSmokes
http://www.diyflavorshack.com/
Perfumers Apprentice - The Flavor Apprentice - World of Flavors
DIY E-liquid Supplies - Home
Wholesale Nicotine, Bulk e-Liquid, PG, VG and Supplies Heartlandvapes Wholesale

PG/VG
Essential Depot: Sodium Hydroxide, Lye, Potassium Hydroxide, Argan Oil, Shea Butter, Essential Oil, Fragrance Oil, Vegetable Oils, Food Grade
DudaDiesel - Biodiesel, Chemical & Solar Supplies, Alternative Energy Store

E JUICE CALCULATOR
eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
Great job, Shipwreck! I think the hardest part about rebuilding coils is just getting yourself to do it the first time. It's really not rocket science, but it can seem a bit intimidating at first. But once you've done it, you start realizing just how many other things in the vaping experience you can do yourself and give yourself a lot more control over your vape.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Pretty cool, and highly ingenious. Rebuilding is where its at, . enjoy!

Thanks Thrasher. Yeah, I'm loving rebuilding and will be rebuilding the other coil that came with the nautilus tomorrow LOL.

Shipwreck you're killin me! (I love it). If I ever have a foreign transmission that needs fixed I'm sending it to you. But now you have a serious problem... what vape gear will you work on next?

LMAO Send away Sir. I have this strong tendency to get stubborn when something breaks and I just want to fix it at all costs LOL. Might come from rebuilding and customizing classic cars back in the day (my favorite being my 71 Cuda Hemi). I actually almost tore apart my MVP3 in case that was the problem LOL but decided to wait and make sure whether it was the heads or not first. I actually learned a lot from mostly reading here and some from Youtube videos about different rebuilds on different hardware, repairs, etc... Book marked everything for future use LOL.

OOPS... you said DIY... I have a couple articles for you to read....

Oh no worries, I'll still be doing rebuilds and such LOL. I actually believe I have most of those articles you linked bookmarked, but will check to make sure LOL. I also downloaded the Juice Me Up calculator a few days ago LOL.

Great job, Shipwreck! I think the hardest part about rebuilding coils is just getting yourself to do it the first time. It's really not rocket science, but it can seem a bit intimidating at first. But once you've done it, you start realizing just how many other things in the vaping experience you can do yourself and give yourself a lot more control over your vape.

Thanks Linda. Very true about just doing it. Luckily I'm the type, as I said, that gets tenacious about something and was ready to jump in as soon as I had all the info I needed. It is indeed pretty awesome all the ways you can do stuff yourself to make this cheaper and more enjoyable. I'm loving all the learning.

The hardest part is going to be explaining to the wife what happened to her hairdryer!

:D

T

LMAO Actually Trunker, it was indeed my Ex wife's hair dryer but because she's the ex no need for explaining, I actually relished tearing it apart LOL.

Naa, just put it back together " I don't know honey, I guess the heater went bad"

LMAO even if I had to put it back together I couldn't. I tried to take it apart neatly but the thing was put together too tight and I ended up taking a hammer to it LOL... Little pieces of plastic all over the floor LOL.

Great build. I've been doing my own BVCs for a while and they seem to work a lot better than factory coils. I use my Nautilus while working and break out my Subtank Plus when I'm not. Any sub ohm tank with an RBA looks to be your next step. Stay strong and vape on.

Thanks Dude. This one does indeed work a lot better. I'm gonna experiment with different rebuilds I've seen and try some of my own as well to get the perfect vape. I'm actually looking at subtanks with with RBA now because someone else had mentioned it to me as well.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Ya buddy, they aint never gonna kill vaping cause it really is a very simple technology.

Kudos for the tip, the Miss`s tells me we have a broken hairdryer, ha, ha.

I hear ya VHR, I've discovered in the last while that there are a LOT more vapers than I thought before I started looking into it and I see it growing tremendously. I've been posting my progress on my Facebook and getting a lot of friends asking me about it because they want to quit smoking. When I answer them I give them the link to this forum so they can find even more info. Quite a few have come over and my nephew actually got his first starter kit last week because he, along with everyone else who knows me, was totally surprised at how easy I quit with vaping.

LOL no problem on the tip, glad I can help out and give back for the help I received. You'll be surprised at how much wire is actually in those things LOL. Some use the coil method on the wires but some use this zig zag pattern. The one I used had the zig zag, which I was glad for because I think it was easier to straighten the wire. Not sure though, never done the coiled ones. I also found out during my research that toasters, electric blankets, heating pads and such also use nichrome as their heating elements. Get out there and raid those yardsales and dumps for cheap and/or free nichrome folks, do your part for the environment and reuse it LOL.

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
There is no feeling like going at the ex's stuff with a hammer. ;-) Glad to see you got your vape going again.

Now that you are wrapping your own coils, I would like to suggest the YouDe Zephyrus sub ohm tank. It has an awesome RBA section that is actually better than the coil heads that come with it. It is selling for about $27 and that is a great price for a great tank. It's so good, that all but my Starre are cleaned and back in their original packaging. I am keeping the Starre out as a spare. I need something to vape on while I rebuild. I may get another Zephyrus.

I would also like to suggest this site, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators , as an invaluable tool. It's even better for coil wrapping than that hammer. Learn how to use the Heat Flux button on the Coil Wrapping section. It really helps to get the exact build you are aiming for. I use it to find what wattage will bring me to approximately 178 mW/mm², as that seems to be the warmth that I like best.

Reactions: Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
There is no feeling like going at the ex's stuff with a hammer. ;-) Glad to see you got your vape going again.

Now that you are wrapping your own coils, I would like to suggest the YouDe Zephyrus sub ohm tank. It has an awesome RBA section that is actually better than the coil heads that come with it. It is selling for about $27 and that is a great price for a great tank. It's so good, that all but my Starre are cleaned and back in their original packaging. I am keeping the Starre out as a spare. I need something to vape on while I rebuild. I may get another Zephyrus.

I would also like to suggest this site, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators , as an invaluable tool. It's even better for coil wrapping than that hammer. Learn how to use the Heat Flux button on the Coil Wrapping section. It really helps to get the exact build you are aiming for. I use it to find what wattage will bring me to approximately 178 mW/mm², as that seems to be the warmth that I like best.

LOL ain't that the truth Wilson.

Thanks for the link, that's gonna come in handy for my DIY ejuices too. Gonna look at the Zephyrus now. I see a collection starting here LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread