Status
Not open for further replies.

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
Thanks guys!! Stashbldr, you mean you twist the excess wire off with your fingers, and it breaks off evenly right against the coil-body? I'll have to try that.

Yes .. once you have the insulator plug and the little metal plug back into the coil then I twist and bend the 2 wires until they break off, it will break off right even with the coil body and none of it will be protruding. I've never used nichrome, I do it this way with kanthal.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
As to your Wire Question

Which ever wire you use, you need the proper diameter to achieve your final resistance with the approx. # of wraps desired.
Nichrome is a Lower cost wire, good for general application and more economical to replace. A wire commonly used in Foam Bow Cutters.
Kanthal is a more expensive, but more durable wire with a higher strength. More resistant to heat failure - last longer in application.

Both should be burned off before use. Burning by passing through flame until glowing. This removes impurities and makes the wire more workable. coils will hold shape better.

Wes F.

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Guam
Hey guys, has anyone tried using Nichrome Wire instead of Kanthal or SS Mesh, for rebuilding a ProTank coil?? I've been wanting to try my hand at rebuilding my PT coils for awhile now, and finally grabbed some 2mm Silica Wick last week with my DV purchase, but they didn't have Kanthal.. Today I checked out a new B&M in my town, and asked about rebuilding, and he said that Nichrome wire is a lot better than Kanthal, and that I should try that for rebuilding my coils (he didn't have Kanthal)

So I bought a foot of Nichrome for a buck $.. I asked him if I should get a specific gauge or thickness, and he said he only carried the one size I got, but there is another size of Nichrome that would up the resistance too high..

Now I'm sitting here with 2 feet of 2mm Silica wick and a foot of Nichrome wire, in front of me.. The wire seems pretty thin but I'll see how it works, I'm sure it will take a few tries since it's my 1st rebuilding attempt, but I have a lot of bunk PT coils for practice. I'm hoping the Nichrome/Silica performs well and doesn't taste weird or anything - the main reason I want to rebuild my PT is for better performance, more/thicker vapor, better flavor (than the stock coils).
.... All advice is very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance :D

I got a 100' of nichrome 60 32 awg for $6 on eBay. Might want to check that out. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread