Heat not burn on Amazon?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
So I wonder what the logic is behind Amazon being okay with selling those heat not burn devices but not an e-cigarette I mean I understand they're not wanting to sell ejuice like an actual tobacco products and instead only sell the separate components without the nicotine but wouldn't the heat not burn device be considered an ends device as well or is there some subtle difference that I'm not really understanding

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Megacorporations do not make moral stands. They work on the principle of avoiding controversy.
Well isn't that the absolute truth. I suppose when truth puts out an article and gets everyone up in arms with very little factual information and then the pressure is put on Amazon then that will change. I'm a little bitter about the heat not burn thing but ultimately I'm happy that people have other options I'm just not happy with the corporation that owns them

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Interesting to see it's not an IQOS on Amazon, its a knock off.
I thought the FDA approval was specific to the device they approved?
LAMBDA A1 Heat Not Burn Heating Device Starter Kit
Wow. Can you say IQOS clone?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm giving this heat don't burn a pass - anyone else plan to try it?
I tried IQOS a year ago. I bought a kit and a carton of Heets at the duty-free shop in a European airport on the way back from a trade show. I've gone through about a pack and a half of the Heets since then. IMO, it will not have tremendous appeal to anyone who successfully switched to vaping years ago. But I think it has potential as harm reduction for people who were not successful with vaping. It tastes much more like a cigarette than any vape I've tried, and it provides the "full tobacco" effect in a way that straight nicotine, or even WTA liquid doesn't. I have one once in a blue moon.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The only difference I can see between one and the other is what the wick is made out of. HnB uses a large “wick”(pad?) with all the material sprayed or soaked into it. The thing is heated and the juice evaporated out of it.
e-cigs basically ARE HnB. The difference is e-cigs use a liquid replenished by wicking action whereas the other has it already in place.

it’s the same action the difference is the storage system.

I see no reason to use it at all if I can possibly avoid it. It’s just flat out inferior with no advantages whatsoever.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
For a dozen years or so before I started using e-cigs (Feb. 2011), I made my own cigarettes via the 'stuff your own' method. I notice in the Amazon add that 'customers also purchased' picture of the hnb product + box of king size (hollow) tubes. In my case it was a matter of cost. As well, it set me up for DIY. It was having to go through the preparation to get my satisfaction that helped prepare me some for e-cigs.

That leads me to the question of whether or not one can 'stuff their own' Heet-type sticks. I believe that the tobacco used in such refills is combined with a PG and/or VG type substance. I'm not suggesting that is all there is to the Heat sticks, but it would seem that perhaps something along those line might keep the financial aspect of hnb useage within reason.

An important footnote: Here in Kentucky, where major groundwork was laid for driving smoking out of the public, taxes were kept minimal on loose 'pipe tobacco.' Discount tobacco stores also kept cigarette 'tubes' in stock, and at a price far below what Amazon is offering next to their IQOS-type device. Some of that pipe tobacco was about halfway between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco.

Insight appreciated.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
For a dozen years or so before I started using e-cigs (Feb. 2011), I made my own cigarettes via the 'stuff your own' method. I notice in the Amazon add that 'customers also purchased' picture of the hnb product + box of king size (hollow) tubes. In my case it was a matter of cost. As well, it set me up for DIY. It was having to go through the preparation to get my satisfaction that helped prepare me some for e-cigs.

That leads me to the question of whether or not one can 'stuff their own' Heet-type sticks. I believe that the tobacco used in such refills is combined with a PG and/or VG type substance. I'm not suggesting that is all there is to the Heat sticks, but it would seem that perhaps something along those line might keep the financial aspect of hnb useage within reason.

An important footnote: Here in Kentucky, where major groundwork was laid for driving smoking out of the public, taxes were kept minimal on loose 'pipe tobacco.' Discount tobacco stores also kept cigarette 'tubes' in stock, and at a price far below what Amazon is offering next to their IQOS-type device. Some of that pipe tobacco was about halfway between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco.

Insight appreciated.

Roll-your-own heet sticks are technically totally doable. The filler is basically just an absorbent material impregnated with ejuice. You don’t even have to use anything tobacco based. I suspect a cellulose sponge would work.

The main issues are they’re a different diameter than regular e-cigarettes and that diameter is patented. Also the paper wrapper on what heet sticks sticks ive seen (generally butts in trash cans at Asian restaurants) seems to often be metalized so I suspect there is heat transfer rate stuff that would need to be worked out.

a piece of dishwashing sponge wrapped in tinfoil and soaked in whatever is not out of the picture though. Also the diameter thing may be attackable in some way, and will eventually go out of patent in any event.

Reactions: stols001

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Amazon's 3rd party market system has long been this way. Products of all sorts slip through the cracks, but I think of their model in much the same way I think of Visa or Mastercard, very limited security, and fraud happens. Weeding out all fraud or policy misuse is not the goal. The CC companies know that there will be thefts and losses. Amazon knows there will be some 3rd party companies whose products suck or slip through the policy cracks. Refund those customers who are negatively affect, and maybe take legal action against the fraudsters, if it is worth it, but often it's not. If a system works say 97% of the time as intended, and the system is profitable, then the 3% of frauds (or in this case policy abuse) are more then tolerable.

As for this clone, Philip Morris is more likely to take notice then Amazon ;)

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I tried IQOS a year ago. I bought a kit and a carton of Heets at the duty-free shop in a European airport on the way back from a trade show. I've gone through about a pack and a half of the Heets since then. IMO, it not have tremendous appeal to anyone who successfully switched to vaping years ago. But I think it has potential as harm reduction for people who were not successful with vaping. It tastes much more like a cigarette than any vape I've tried, and it provides the "full tobacco" effect in a way that straight nicotine, or even WTA liquid doesn't. I have one once in a blue moon.
My husband still smokes, sadly, despite my multitudinous attempts to help him switch. He’s just not ready. Something like this may actually be something he’d try, as much as I kind of hate to give them money for it, at this point anything to reduce his cigarette intake. Christmas is coming, after all.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Amazon's 3rd party market system has long been this way. Products of all sorts slip through the cracks, but I think of their model in much the same way I think of Visa or Mastercard, very limited security, and fraud happens. Weeding out all fraud or policy misuse is not the goal. The CC companies know that there will be thefts and losses. Amazon knows there will be some 3rd party companies whose products suck or slip through the policy cracks. Refund those customers who are negatively affect, and maybe take legal action against the fraudsters, if it is worth it, but often it's not. If a system works say 97% of the time as intended, and the system is profitable, then the 3% of frauds (or in this case policy abuse) are more then tolerable.

As for this clone, Philip Morris is more likely to take notice then Amazon ;)
Yep. It’s not whether what they do is good or right or even legal. What matters is that it is profitable and that is ALL that matters.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The filler is basically just an absorbent material impregnated with ejuice.
If that's true, then then PMI has figured out how to make a truly effective e-juice. The "head" you get from an IQOS is totally different (far closer to smoking tobacco) than straight nicotine, or even WTA e-juice provides.

IMO, you're mistaken. The "filler" is made from tobacco. Yes, there's some PG and VG present as a means of carrying off the tobacco flavors, nicotine, and other psychoactive substances from the tobacco filler, and to produce some visible "smoke" at temperatures lower than those needed for combustion.

The main issues are they’re a different diameter than regular e-cigarettes and that diameter is patented.
Really? You can patent a diameter? o_O

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
No, primarily because it is a Big Tobacco product. I wouldn't mind a fair competition, but the way Big Tobacco has made negative propoganda against vaping for personal gain over the last decade has left a bad taste in my mouth. The science behind it seems a bit sketchy. And thirdly, I NEVER liked the taste of "tobacco", so why would I use this?

73144314_10215390133930002_5120310390810476544_n.jpg

72658427_2624283751171105_5920885723484913664_n.jpg

iQOS may not be as harm-free as claimed, study finds | Health Central

In high-stakes votes, FDA advisors say evidence doesn't back Philip Morris' claims

72409005_2624286334504180_4696417146127777792_n.jpg

Ingredient list for IQOS vs e-cigarette
72747306_2624283141171166_9137805194417930240_n.jpg

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Really? You can patent a diameter? o_O

Apple literally managed to get a patent for "rectangle with rounded corners". It may or may not hold up in court but they did get the patent. So IMHO it's not out of the question for someone to be able to get a patent for an "ENDS device of a specific diameter".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread