Quit vaping for 2 month, made a less happier person

Status
Not open for further replies.

damachine

Feb 17, 2019
I "successfully" quit vaping for 2 month. It actually wasn't that bad, I was able to fill the void with music/gum/walks. Right now I have 0 physical temptation to vape.

But there has been many stressful situations and I feel without the vape it made everything harder. To me, it's not that I had to have it, but it was something enjoyed. And taking it away made life a little less fun. It's like saying you can never eat candy or drink coffee again.

The only reason I quit was for the health benefits. I heard vaping can cause COPD but then I also hear it's a lot less harmful than smoking. But here's the thing that really demotivates one from quitting vaping:

1. We are not sure how harmful is it (if at all)

2. There are many other things bad for us in life, like air pollution, asbestos, etc. Is it worth giving up something that you enjoy for a marginal health benefit? I vape at a low wattage so I don't think I'm getting lots of formaldehydes.
I'm really thinking about going back to vaping. I think I'll vape a few more years and if news comes out by then that vaping is truly really bad, then I'll quit...

I don't know... it's not like we are going to live forever even if we don't vape/smoke/do anything unhealthy...

• Optimistic
Reactions: Superuser187

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The only reason I quit was for the health benefits. I heard vaping can cause COPD but then I also hear it's a lot less harmful than smoking. But here's the thing that really demotivates one from quitting vaping:

2. There are many other things bad for us in life, like air pollution, asbestos, etc. Is it worth giving up something that you enjoy for a marginal health benefit? I vape at a low wattage so I don't think I'm getting lots of formaldehydes.
I'm really thinking about going back to vaping. I think I'll vape a few more years and if news comes out by then that vaping is truly really bad, then I'll quit...

I agree we don't know if there are any long term health issues related to vaping. I switched from smoking 8 1/2 years ago and I haven't experienced any, but that doesn't mean there are none that will come to light after say 20 or 30 years. There are people who have been vaping for ~15 years too and I know of no problems for them, but there not many of them either.

When I switched to vaping it took me about 1 1/2 years to get to the point where I really knew I was never going to smoke again. It was a slow transition for me, and after I got past the first few months I didn't really feel much change in my ability to avoid smoking as each month passed. I would imagine if you did not vape for a year you would be there too with vaping, as I think vaping is easier to quit for good than cigarettes, but that's just my opinion.

Vaping at low wattages is not a guaranty that you are not inhaling unhealthy substances, but it does mean you are vaping less juice and that IMO is a positive healthwise for the simple reason that if there is anything unhealthy in your juice ingredients (thinking mostly of flavorings here), you will be inhaling less of it. Also important is that you keep your coil wire temperature low enough so you don't degrade your juices and cause unhealthy substances to be produced. I clean my coils and rewick regularly to avoid as much of that as I can. For the last couple of years I've been vaping with less power and am now generally at 8-10 watts using on average around 8 ml of juice per day.

Vaping for a few more years is IMO not going to do you any noticeable harm, but not vaping is safer. Ultimately it's up to you. Best of luck with it :)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    We all have to make decisions in life. Your decision is your own. Do as you please and do what you feel is best for you.

Regarding stressful situations causing you to want to vape (or even smoke) again, this is a psychological issue. You need to develop coping skills for stressful situation. In the past, you used smoking/vaping as your coping mechanism for stress so that is all you know, therefore that is what you desire in order to cope in stressful situations.

Therefore, if you do not want to go back to vaping, your only solutions are:

1) Read or listen to self-help books/audiobooks written to help you learn to better cope with stress without using chemicals,

2) join a support group (online or offline) that is geared toward helping people to better cope with stress without using chemicals or

3) seek a personal therapist who can help you to better cope with stress without using chemicals. (this is the most expensive solution).

Reactions: Plumes.91

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    I am pretty sure no smoking and vaping is best for health... :p

I know that if I quit vaping I will go back to cigs sooo that's why I don't care how harmfull vaping is cause I am 99% percent sure it's wayyy healthier than cigs Soo it's my best alternative

If I wanted to vape and keep it as healthy as it gets I would do one thing...

Vape mtl low wattage with high nic enough to make me vape like 2ml per day and unflavoured or maybe just add a tiny bit if flavouring on my diy juice...

Since u miss the fun part of vaping I guess u can try vape nicless and try vape only rarely as a hobbie....

As u said it's like eating candy or coffee....
    And like everything in life u need to do "everything in moderation" :p

I should take my own advice

• Winner
    Reactions: AngeNZ

damachine

Feb 17, 2019
    It's not just the stress part. I feel vaping makes me happier and more productive too. It's one of thing that you "look forward" to when you wake up, after a meal, etc. And taking that away really takes some enjoyment out of the life.

I decided to vape a year or two more until my current stressful situation is over, and hopefully more research would come out by then. In the meantime:
    1. I'm changing coil every 2 days
    2. I vape high nic/high menthol DIY juice which enables me to feel satisfied when vaping at 6-7 watt. (I believe 6-7 watt is low enough to minimize the formation of unhealthy substances right?)

BTW, has anyone taken any chest x-rays either when they were smoking or after they've transitioned to vaping? I wonder if there are any noticeable changes to the lung due to vaping that can be seen on a x-ray?

Thanks

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    BTW u may vape 10 watts but use a thin and tiny coil and still get high temps on he coil...
    I don't remember but I have heard that need very high temps to form unhealthy substances but anyways it's being long time I did research for that...
    I have seen xrays from a guy I know so I know it's not lies and that his lungs became "cleaner" after switching to vaping from cigs....I saw 3years of vaping x-ray since he stopped cigs...
    Myself I wanted to check my lungs also after one year of vaping cause I have already x-ray from when smoking and things where very bad for my age...
    Still too soon I guess cause I know need time to clean lungs from smoking cigs and won't clean completely I guess but whatever happens it's good :D

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    I "successfully" quit vaping for 2 month. It actually wasn't that bad, I was able to fill the void with music/gum/walks. Right now I have 0 physical temptation to vape.

But there has been many stressful situations and I feel without the vape it made everything harder. To me, it's not that I had to have it, but it was something enjoyed. And taking it away made life a little less fun. It's like saying you can never eat candy or drink coffee again.

I don't know... it's not like we are going to live forever even if we don't vape/smoke/do anything unhealthy...

Seems to me you have been getting a lot of wrong information from all the wrong places...
    low wattage to prevent formaldehydes?

:lol::lol::lol:

2. I vape high nic/high menthol DIY juice which enables me to feel satisfied when vaping at 6-7 watt. (I believe 6-7 watt is low enough to minimize the formation of unhealthy substances right?)

Says who?
    Just wondering,i mean the way you wrote your posts it seems you think all the info your giving us is verified and scientifically proven.

Maybe next time just post asking questions about it instead of just assuming that the inhalation of ''formaldehydes'' is a real thing.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    I had a chest X-ray at the end of 2020 after catching a chest cold and my lungs are in great shape. vaping since 2009. Doctors eyes bulge when they see how long I can blow for the exhale test. I’ve been told I’m better than the average person whose never smoked.

if you’re really worried about dying though, just have your brain or body cryogenically frozen. It’s something like $75k, or, you can take out a life insurance policy, around $5/mo and they will pay the $75k when you pass away. Then just lay in dormant darkness for a few centuries until they revive your mind and upload you to the simulation worlds. Then either pick out an avatar and live for eternity, or choose a mechatronic ground walker body to link with in the physical realm. Just be aware that your perception may corrupt and, if that happens, you will spend eternity painfully disassociated from the phenomena of individual existence.

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    • Informative
    Reactions: Javichu

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

For me, vaping is all about staying smoke-free. And that makes it a 100% better for my health, than smoking does.

After smoking for 25 years, I'm not in the least bit worried about vaping being harmful to me. The fact that vaping is 95% safer than smoking is enough for me
    Could Vaping Help You Quit Smoking?

I've got no plans at all to ever quit vaping. If I did, I know as soon as a stressful time happened - I'd be back smoking.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I've got no plans at all to ever quit vaping.

Same here. No intention on quitting.

I didn't start vaping to save my life. I always hated my clothes and home smelling like smoke, the smokers cough and laugh, and the cost of smoking.

Vaping solves all 3 (but the saving money part only works for some people, not all)

Mazinny

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 25, 2013
    NY
    I had a chest X-ray at the end of 2020 after catching a chest cold and my lungs are in great shape. vaping since 2009. Doctors eyes bulge when they see how long I can blow for the exhale test. I’ve been told I’m better than the average person whose never smoked.

if you’re really worried about dying though, just have your brain or body cryogenically frozen. It’s something like $75k, or, you can take out a life insurance policy, around $5/mo and they will pay the $75k when you pass away. Then just lay in dormant darkness for a few centuries until they revive your mind and upload you to the simulation worlds. Then either pick out an avatar and live for eternity, or choose a mechatronic ground walker body to link with in the physical realm. Just be aware that your perception may corrupt and, if that happens, you will spend eternity painfully disassociated from the phenomena of individual existence.
    Is there a cryogenic vendor you recommend? What are the benefits of having your brain frozen vs. entire body. If you chose to freeze just the brain, do you get to chose any body to attach to your brain? Is there a guarantee the good body types will be in stock? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread