I Quit Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
In addiction there is this phenom where people who first get clean off drugs think they are capable of helping everyone get clean. It usually leads to failure. We use to call it riding a pink cloud. I think you might have had good intentions, but chose the wrong audience.

You never answered my earlier question, "You're in recovery, right?". The reason I asked that is because much of your speak mirrors talk in recovery. You have to understand, vaping for a lot here is an alternative and for you it was a method to help you quit. That's the difference here and the people who were like you have moved on from this place. Also, vaping does not make our life unmanageable and we are just grateful to not be smokers anymore.
Again, this thread wasn't targetted for EVERYONE. This thread was sharing my progress and experience, not to target and bash every single person on this website about using nicotine.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Again, this thread wasn't targetted for EVERYONE. This thread was sharing my progress and experience, not to target and bash every single person on this website about using nicotine.
Then perhaps you could edit your opening post to reflect that.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014

I understand. Luckily you just joined in December, so you have to admit-- the attachment for this place is low.

Reactions: Katdarling

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
OP.
I think most people are happy enough you found something in your life that seems useful and relevant to you.
But some of the things you state as facts are simply not. Between those opinions of yours, the generalizations you make and manner in which you present them, and yourself, your message is made to appear less than it could be, you diminish your message and yourself.
Your lack of understanding and an inability to listen, take onboard and process new information that conflicts with your preconceived ideas is a real weak point that will always repel rather than draw people in.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm just happy I was able to stop smoking - thanks to vaping and 18mg nicotine.

After a year smoke-free, I vape 12mg mtl - however I have no plans to go much lower, nor quit vaping.

I loved smoking - that's why I did it for so long. Vaping gives me a much healthier and cheaper alternative

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I quit smoking because paying for a pack of smokes became unbearable. Figured I’d try vaping and at the very least the nicotine I’d get from it would cause me to smoke less therefore saving me some scratch. Turned out vaping tasted better which made quitting smoking for vaping relatively painless. When I started vaping I was using 36mg’s of nicotine but that was the days of 2.0+ohm coils, single digit wattage, and tiny clouds of vapor. Now that equipment is much more efficient I’ve lowered my nicotine to between 20-30mg’s. I can even get a little buzz from the first pull of the day despite decades of tobacco use.
    Having said all that you folks should never lower the mg’s of nicotine below 20. I’m telling you it just doesn’t work and you will most likely start smoking again. I just don’t want you to fail so do as I say. This is just my opinion and to each his/her own but that doesn’t change the fact everyone needs lots of nicotine in my opinion. So stop being plebeians and do the right thing. I’m telling you the right thing in my opinion but everyone’s different.
    I just wanted to share what works for me and keeps me off the cigarettes. I’m glad I could enlighten all of you in a manner that is not condescending at all, in my opinion, and for which you should all thank me for. I’ll pop in every now and then with morsels of knowledge I’ve picked up over my many years on the planet. I hope this was helpful and if not you’re doing it wrong.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I just wanted to share what works for me and keeps me off the cigarettes. I’m glad I could enlighten all of you in a manner that is not condescending at all, in my opinion, and for which you should all thank me for. I’ll pop in every now and then with morsels of knowledge I’ve picked up over my many years on the planet. I hope this was helpful and if not you’re doing it wrong.
    Was this post targetted for EVERYONE or just the folks who aren't in the mood to criticize it? I need to know before I construct my rebuttal. thx

• Agree
    Reactions: Uri Burstein

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I quit smoking because paying for a pack of smokes became unbearable. Figured I’d try vaping and at the very least the nicotine I’d get from it would cause me to smoke less therefore saving me some scratch. Turned out vaping tasted better which made quitting smoking for vaping relatively painless. When I started vaping I was using 36mg’s of nicotine but that was the days of 2.0+ohm coils, single digit wattage, and tiny clouds of vapor. Now that equipment is much more efficient I’ve lowered my nicotine to between 20-30mg’s. I can even get a little buzz from the first pull of the day despite decades of tobacco use.
    Having said all that you folks should never lower the mg’s of nicotine below 20. I’m telling you it just doesn’t work and you will most likely start smoking again. I just don’t want you to fail so do as I say. This is just my opinion and to each his/her own but that doesn’t change the fact everyone needs lots of nicotine in my opinion. So stop being plebeians and do the right thing. I’m telling you the right thing in my opinion but everyone’s different.
    Nailed it :)

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Was this post targetted for EVERYONE or just the folks who aren't in the mood to criticize it? I need to know before I construct my rebuttal. thx

I am pretty sure that the whole thing was a sarcastic emulation of the OP and meant in jest. I could be wrong.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    OK @Ohm My God , I'm going to try to lay this out simply for you. Please understand I'm giving you honest feedback since you asked for it, I'm not being vindictive or mean and if you take it that way you're going to miss the point and the education.

You made 3 big mistakes and this is my opinion.

1) You're severely lacking in social graces and will never convince anyone of anything with your current communication skills. To get someone to agree with your point of view you must persuade or cajole, not tell them what they should do as you did in your first post. You have to present your opinion in a non judgmental way, which you didn't. And you can not fabricate (see point 3)

2) By throwing the age group of 30~60 out there and even consider that a homogeneous group you have told us you are very young. Believe me, there is a big difference in life experience and real world education in that age range. Not that there is anything wrong with either extreme, but only very young people would even consider that an age bracket like that would have similar behavior and beliefs. So if you consider that the case... yeah you're young and you will get much further in life starting out with enough respect for folks in that age group to not give bad advice like it was gospel but was really made up, which you did (see point 3)

3) You fabricated your facts. It is your assertion that continued vaping will make people more and more dependent on nicotine and they will keep raising their level of nicotine to satisfy their cravings. This is factually false. If you spent any time researching this you would see this is entirely false. There are literally several thousand posts on ECF that show the clear opposite. The normal progression of vaping is starting out high to get off smoking and then reducing nic levels as they continue to vape. This is not even debatable. Sure there are some that start out too low, usually at an experienced vaper's misguided advice, and then bring it up to a reasonable level for quitting smoking. These same people after quitting will start lowering nic levels over time. And yes there is a small minority that will start out fairly high and just stay there forever, but this is really quite rare and not the norm. Most vapers will start high and gradually reduce... this is vast majority of vapers and it is provable just by reading the threads on ECF. What you experienced is called anecdotal evidence, which has no effect on the average of what happens with thousands of people.

So bottom line? When you present facts that aren't true, either through lack of research or just fabricating because you want to sound intelligent, you have not only lost the argument before it begins, but you have destroyed the entire basis of your argument which is predicated on that fact. And well... it makes you look dumber than a box of hair. If you had stated this erroneous fact as your opinion others here would have told you that this is just not true in a much gentler manner. BTW, others here have only reacted in kind to your lack of social skills... only they have a few decades of practice and are better at it. In about 20 years you will gain that skill too if you pay attention.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.
    Currently, I'm 56 days off of nicotine and vaping. Just a little back story about me, I use to be a cigarette smoker for a few years, and then I found vaping about 3 years ago. I quit vaping and nicotine on February 17th, 2019 and haven't consumed any nicotine since.

The first few days was the hardest obviously because of nicotine withdrawals. I was feeling very irritated, almost to the point where I was going insane. Nicotine addiction is really no joke at all, regardless of the method consuming it. Nicotine literally took over my life, making me have mood swings if I didn't have it, costing me money which I could be saving for the future and investing, and just made me an overall tired and stressed individual which is why I went ahead a bit the bullet and wanted to change. However, I came to a discovery which I would like to share with you.

If your goal is to eventually quit vaping and quit nicotine altogether at some point in your life, then let me give you a quick tip. DON'T PICK UP A JUUL AND STAY AWAY FROM NICOTINE SALTS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. This is literally so important if your goal is to eventually get off of nicotine at some point. During my vaping era, I found that nicotine salts, Juuls, etc were the worst products to consume if you're looking to eventually quit nicotine because of how much the dosage these products have per hit/serving. Once you start consuming these high nicotine salt products, you will adapt and build such a strong and strict tolerance for it, and you will eventually want more and more and up your dosage consumptions. Oh, and I can confirm this because I went through this entire process, however, everyone's body is different so I can't really speak for everyone's situation.

Also, I found that quitting vaping was MUCH easier than quitting smoking cigarettes, for obvious reasons. Cigarettes not only have nicotine but other addictive chemicals. On the other hand, vaping doesn't have all the nasty chemicals, so it was much easier to quit vaping than cigarettes (IT'S STILL VERY HARD TO QUIT NICOTINE, SO QUITTING VAPING WITH NICOTINE CONTENT ISN'T EASY, IT'S JUST EASIER THAN CIGARETTES TO MY EXPERIENCE.)

If you are smoking cigarettes and you tried quitting cold turkey GOOD LUCK AND PROPS TO YOU IF YOU SUCCEEDED. The success rate of people quitting cigarettes cold turkey is very low. However, on the other hand, people that have quit vaping cold turkey have a higher success rate than those who tried quitting cigarettes by itself. So, my advice to those who still smoke cigarettes, first work on switching to vaping, then quit vaping cold turkey. This is a much easier route and it's the right way in my opinion. The right way of quitting is cold turkey. I don't care what anyone says, and I don't care about those fake gimmick products that are a bunch of lies and garbage. The only true way to quit is to quit. Quitting cold turkey is the right way, cut all nicotine consumptions COMPLETELY. This thread isn't about bashing on vaping, it's about bashing on nicotine, and it's about your long term health physically, and mentally.

As far as my progress, I'm feeling very well and more energized. I don't feel depressed about nicotine anymore, I don't have any more mood swings. However, I do miss vaping just because of the memories and good times I had doing it, but at the end of the day, I am no longer addicted to nicotine, it's just something that was apart of me but not anymore if that makes sense. It feels good to be nicotine free, and that's before getting into all the money I was able to save ;)

Hope you enjoyed the read and if you want any advice on quitting, just shoot me a message and we can talk about it. Quitting nicotine is hard, but it's very possible. The only one that can do it is YOU. No one else is going to do it for you, and no product is going to save you. The decision is all in your hands. Good luck :)

Congrats on getting off of Cigarettes, and nicotine/vaping all together!!!

As for me, I do not see any serious health issues with a low dosage of nicotine. I am down to 6mg nicotine solution on a rebuildable that has somewhat similar vaping qualities as a pod system (restrictive lung). I haven't tried nic salts, and I don't see any reason to.

For my mother in law, she quit smoking, but had to do it via Chantix. She tried cold turkey, the patch, Nicorette gum, and Chantix and failed every time. For some, she would quit for a week, but at the time ANYTHING mildly stressful happened, she wold pickup a cigarette, and be right back to smoking. This last time, she tried Chantix again, but instead of just giving it up all together, she got an EGO/CE4 and uses zero nicotine juices. Anytime she felt the need to smoke, she would just use the zero nic ejuice.... it has been working for her for about 4 years so far, and you'll always see her with one of her vapes nearby.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 27, 2013
    Lawrenceville, Ga.

I think you've reached a milestone in your life, and you wish to share it. Thank you for posting. I think the others might have mis-interpreted your reasons for posting on this site. I know what you're talking about when it comes to nicotine. However, I feel that everyone's bodies are different, and the constant dopamine may alter people's brain setups differently. My mother quit smoking long time ago through an anti-smoking support group. She hasn't picked up a cigarette in decades. My mother in law (which I used as an example earlier), even though she's quit, and hasn't taken nicotine products in several years, Nicotine has essentially rewired her brain to make her need to inhale something. That's why she vapes zero nicotine juice.

You're right in the fact, I haven't felt a nicotine buzz in decades. I've never felt a nicotine buzz with Electronic cigarettes. I do feel a tingle/burning sensation If I pick one up after a while of being without, but no light headed experience.. it's just an oddly satisfying feeling in the mouth. I still don't think I'll quit nicotine all together though. I am starting to experience a slightly better memory effect. I am horrible remembering people's names, but in the last five years, I've seen my ability to remember more and more people's names. Although i cannot prove it, I am assuming it is because of the nicotine in my vapes. Also, I notice I am quite resilient when it comes to colds/flus. I definitely attribute this to vaping, since the occurrences of getting sick declined almost immediately when I switched to vaping. It's also become a hobby for me... I don't blow big clouds, but I do enjoy the flavors and the devices.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
    Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    While this thread didn't start well, it is always interesting to see what health benefits/maladies are attributed to the switch.
    There's very little that doesn't have some (often minor) impact on our bodies.
    I (if I'm being totally honest) gave up smoking due to the cost primarily but I've seen huge benefits to my overall health.
    I found myself far less out of breath within weeks. Unlike the above post, cough's and colds have been far less frequent and cleared up far faster. My Lord they'd turn to a chest infection every time when I smoked. Yes I won't deny, my mouth became a battle field for a few weeks after the switch to vaping as blood vessels 're grew and the ph in my mouth shifted but this took about a month to settle and according to my dentist it very much settled for the better.
    The coughs, colds and throat infection improvements are being backed up by science now as medical tests have been completed over here looking at how eliquid (non flavoured of course) is proving very effective and battling respiratory and throat issues due to the pg being anti bacterial and fungal. (The c.o.p.d doctor at my surgery is actively trying to persuade patients to take up vaping, nic free for the non smokers., to keep the lungs free of infection.
    Pg has been used to keep the airflow lines in hospitals free of bacteria for years here.
    My friends kids and more importantly grandkids say I smell nice.
    Even with shinyitus I'm saving an absolute fortune which benefits the whole family.
    I will admit as a tinnitus sufferer nicotine still makes my ears ring louder (again it's to be expected as it's well known to restrict bloodflow) but I started vaping at 36mg and now able in the 3-12mg area which is a huge improvement.
    Sadly due to Tobacco and pharmaceuticals stranglehold of the American market it's going to be slow going for the medical science community to balance up all the positive and negative effects as a huge part of that community is having it's hands tied with regards to testing and the results coming from Europe are constantly countered with pseudo science from our cigarette funded American friends.
    I'm sure there's going to be negatives but on balance I know which horse I'm betting on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread