Absolute BEST custard recipe that RULES all??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Was reading last night, on diy or die, someone had a recipe on there, it was something like 3% INW creme brulee, 3.5% INW custard, and 2% FW blood orange, in his notes on the two INW flavors he stated that with those two at those %s he gets a rich eggy profile for the mix, so, here is a clue. The creme brulee is one i got along with their custard, i have a bottle of the brulee sitting now at 5%, after work im mixing up a cpl bottles of those two, at varying %s
That has the makings of a great Queenside variant. Definitely going to try it.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Well i mixed up 3 10 mls of the INW VC, one at 3%, 6%, and 9%, will give it a day or two and see where its at, im glad to hear it has some eggy flavor to it. Hopefully it will be a go in the right direction, ive been struggling with this whole eggy thing for awhile now, still gets me how these name brand juices can be so rich and eggy, yet out of probably thousands of mixes it seems no one has the key, maybe a combination of the different vendors is it, who knows, one day we will get a leak of one of these recipes and we'll all be set haha
I get slight eggy from HS Irish Cream, but it's somewhat smothered by dominant dairy notes (as in milk). Don't know how well it would survive in a mix.

What we need is a flavor in the "additive" category that's dedicated to just that eggy note.

Strange, we want eggy, but in the culinary world it's a negative adjective.

Last edited:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I get slight eggy from HS Irish Cream, but it's somewhat smothered by dominant dairy notes (as in milk). Don't know how well it would survive in a mix.

What we need is a flavor in the "additive" category that's dedicated to that eggy note.

Strange, we want eggy, but in the culinary world it's a negative adjective.

I think all of us have tasted that eggy note in a premixed juice, it is so elusive in DIY. Those who know the secret aren't telling. The Inawera comes the closest right out of the bottle.

dschulte6385

Jul 21, 2014
michigan
Yeah we need an egg flavor, legit, straight up egg and cream. And why is it so elusive, why, yes i have had a custard from a shop. And it was really rich and eggy, first time i tried it, was the first time i had ever vaped a custard, and fell in love after that, but in diy it seems almost impossible. Some one knows, some one who works for these companies knows whats in there, we dont want to know your recipe, we just want to know what the egg comes from!!!

dschulte6385

Jul 21, 2014
michigan
That's a good call, and I tend to add just a touch to my custards. In fact I just mixed up a new batch tonight.

5% FA Custard
2% FA Meringue
2% FA Vanilla Bourbon (Which despite it's name has no bourbon flavor at all, it's just a really rich vanilla. Not like Vanilla extract, more like mashed fresh vanilla beans)
1% FA Black Cherry

Now I've got to let is age about a month and it should be ready to use.
I know this was quite some time ago, but do u recall how this turned out?

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Resurrecting...

I've been mixing a lot, over the past two months. Still trying to get a rich vanilla custard - and by "rich," I mean thick, heavy, full-bodied mouth feel that isn't too sweet.

In the flavors box are all of the standard custards - Cap, TFA, INW and FA. The FA, while delish, has a citrus note. Perfect for fruits. Not a player for vanilla custard. TFA is kinda light (as I think many TFA flavors tend to be). Cap and INW deliver, but need a bit of tang.

My latest mix, for which I have high hopes (based on 2 weeks of steeping - so not done, yet) is this:

VC1 (Cap). 10%
NY Cheesecake (cap) 1%
DDL (TFA) 1%
Brown Sugar Xtra (TFA) 1%
Vanilla Bourbon (FA). 1.5%
Catalan Cream (FA). 1%
Vienna Cream (FA) 1%
Fresh Cream (FA). .5%

I'm thinking to do a very similar mix, but with INW custard in place of Cap. I'm also wondering if FA Nonna's Cake might work in place of Cap NY Cheesecake - so I'll probably do an iteration with that substitution.

Special thanks to Mr T's Custard for the idea of adding Vienna & Fresh Cream. Thanks also to HIC, who is masterful with FA, and whose notes are invaluable. The Catalan Cream adds depth that Vienna & Fresh do not.

Getting closer! :)

Last edited:

Clo

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
Tuttle, OK
www.facebook.com
10% cap vc v1
3% cap French vanilla
2% cap sweet cream
2% cap marshmallow
2% Fa caramel

I top that off with an 8mg 100% vg base. I have been vaping this for months. Requires a 3 week steep. The recipe is infinitely changeable.

Mixed up some of this! Very good!

Clo

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
Tuttle, OK
www.facebook.com
It is even better with Hangsen vanilla instead of the cap French vanilla.

Lol. Well I made a small batch and tested it with very little steep time. But definitely could tell I liked the flavor. Made a bigger batch so it can sit without me touching it for awhile. I had the v2 vanilla custard already so to save money I used it instead of the v1. But I like it. Glad I stumbled onto this thread.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Lol. Well I made a small batch and tested it with very little steep time. But definitely could tell I liked the flavor. Made a bigger batch so it can sit without me touching it for awhile. I had the v2 vanilla custard already so to save money I used it instead of the v1. But I like it. Glad I stumbled onto this thread.

Glad you like it, my recipe changes when I run out of stuff. I am a vanilla custard junky. It is my lone vice these days. Your post made me realize I need some more caramel lol.

I buy cap vc v1 in 16oz bottles. It is the only flavor I NEVER run out of.

Edit - bull city is running a sale 15% off on Halloween. If you get the urge for a flavor spree.

Last edited:

Clo

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
Tuttle, OK
www.facebook.com
Here's my adv.
Custard v2 Cap (or TFA hides)10%
Sweet raspberry TFA 5%
Bavarian Cream TFA 2%
Marshmallow TFA 1%
Sweet Cream TFA 1%

I know how much Cap's custard is praised, but don't rule out TFA's. If you like a thicker/buttery custard then Cap, if you like a lighter/sweeter custard try TFA. It's worth trying imo.
How long did you steep this? I don't have sweet raspberry but I have a regular raspberry. Can't remember which. But I have all of these other flavors. Maybe a smidge of cotton candy sweetener since my raspberry isn't "sweet". Hmmmmmm saved the recipe. Lol! Love this thread.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Glad you like it, my recipe changes when I run out of stuff. I am a vanilla custard junky. It is my lone vice these days. Your post made me realize I need some more caramel lol.

I buy cap vc v1 in 16oz bottles. It is the only flavor I NEVER run out of.

Edit - bull city is running a sale 15% off on Halloween. If you get the urge for a flavor spree.
Humm. I didn't get an email from BCV. Is there a code? I could do with a few 4oz bottles of VC1 and INW :)

Reactions: Kenna

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
So, my last mix wasn't it. Wasn't bad, but wasn't right. Back to the drawing board. Here's what I came up with:

Vanilla Custard V28
Cap VC 14%
TFA DDL 1%
TFA Holiday Spice .25%
FA Nonna's Cake. 1%
FA Vienna Cream. .5%
FA Vanilla Classic. .25%
FA Vanilla Tahiti. .25%
FA Marshmallow. .5%

It's been steeping for two weeks, the first few days without a cap. I've tried to shake it every day. Right now, the color is getting towards light amber, and it smells just like what I was trying to replicate. I'll know by Christmas :)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
VegNews.ChickenStaring.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread