Absolute BEST custard recipe that RULES all??

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarnestAccord

Dec 18, 2015
Just like to add that if Custards are your forte you need to try NN Vanilla Patchouli in your mix, .25-.5% adds a ton of sweetness and kicks everything up a notch. Someone said it works because of the "fixative" qualities of Patchouli, wich at low % it tastes nothing like,dunno but its magic.

Last edited:

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Just like to add that if Custards are you forte you need to try NN Vanilla Patchouli in your mix, .25-.5% adds a ton of sweetness and kicks everything up a notch. Someone said it works because of the "fixative" qualities of Patchouli, dunno but its magic.
Quick google search showed its pretty good! I was afraid it would taste like hippie sweat lol. I'll add it to my list.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
115.jpg

Presuming food Company's are using similar (or the same) flavorings as we do? I really am leaning towards these custard biscuit type flavors and am busy experimenting with this in mind today.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Just like to add that if Custards are your forte you need to try NN Vanilla Patchouli in your mix, .25-.5% adds a ton of sweetness and kicks everything up a notch. Someone said it works because of the "fixative" qualities of Patchouli, wich at low % it tastes nothing like,dunno but its magic.
I have very bad associations with Patchouli as an aroma, but I'll try anything. What exactly do you propose for this flavoring in a custard recipe?

Reactions: Kenna

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I have very bad associations with Patchouli as an aroma, but I'll try anything. What exactly do you propose for this flavoring in a custard recipe?

was just researching this a while ago. Looks like it is used at very low percentages like 0.25-0.40% so the Patchouli is not too dominant although apparently could be if you over do it. Not something I care for as a flavor but quite like the scent.

EarnestAccord

Dec 18, 2015
NN's Patchouli Vanilla, even at full streangth, is nothing like what we all associate it to. It's definitely floral and sweet, but I get nothing distinctively Patchouli. As stated above I use it in sub percentages anywhere from .25-.5%. At the .5% the floral aspect does, ever so slightly, start shining through. Not really a bad thing but it starts to lighten the depth I'm usually shooting for in a custard and thus I've settled on .38%. YMMV.

Cream Fresh (FA)................ 2%
DX Bavarian Cream (TPA)..... 1%
Marshmallow (FA)................ 1%
Patchouli Vanilla (NN)......... (.38)%
Vanilla Bean Gelato (TPA).......3%
Vanilla Custard v2 (CAP)........6%
Vanilla Swirl (TPA)................ 3%

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
Yeah, what is that elusive eggy taste in custard...is it as in pancake or egg waffles?
Anyway, I guess the yolks on me..:lol:

Quite enjoyed 'third world custard' after a year of trying tons of variations on StevO's custard and subsequent recipe posts but added 1% DDL. pretty decent considering the lower %'s and simpler recipe.

I pretty much need some bakery like cookie flavor with my custard or I get vape blind to it real quick now.

CAP VC v1 12%
CAP Graham Cracker 1.5%
CAP Sugar Cookie 6%
FA Whipped Cream 3%
FA Vienna Cream 1.5%
EM or Brown sugar to taste

max. VG

Your recipe is really good. I just mixed my third 30ml. I need to make a big batch of this.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Your recipe is really good. I just mixed my third 30ml. I need to make a big batch of this.

Thanks for reporting back, that's encouraging to say the least.
Did you use CAP Graham cracker as per the recipe or a different one?
It has a particular note to it, some find it scratchy on the throat.

My custard recipes have been in flux recently more so than ever!!
I know what I'm looking for but feel I haven't quite nailed it. I tried using FA meringue in a cream base with 1% DDL with success to achieve the eggy-ness.

Went out last night vaping my latest; a Frankenstein of 2 fairly complex recipes- A custard base and a clone I made of G2 Mr Cookie and a french lady sitting beside me insisted it was Creme Brulee to a T and I think she is correct.

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
Thanks for reporting back, that's encouraging to say the least.
Did you use CAP Graham cracker as per the recipe or a different one?
It has a particular note to it, some find it scratchy on the throat.

My custard recipes have been in flux recently more so than ever!!
I know what I'm looking for but feel I haven't quite nailed it. I tried using FA meringue in a cream base with 1% DDL with success to achieve the eggy-ness.

Went out last night vaping my latest; a Frankenstein of 2 fairly complex recipes- A custard base and a clone I made of G2 Mr Cookie and a french lady sitting beside me insisted it was Creme Brulee to a T and I think she is correct.

That is the only thing I subbed. Tfa graham c

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Good move subbing the GC and I'd advise keeping it that way since you seem happy 4 awhile now at least :w00t:
:thumbs:

Well my cookie turned out to be creme brulee apparently. I think I'm starting to drown in custard:lol::lol::lol:
Little birds love creme brûlée. Just sayin' :)

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
The Custard part is pretty much the 'THird Wr'ld Custard recipe:
max. VG, PG flavorings.
I make 100ml of each! (suggest you try less 1st time around):thumb:

Custard Biscuit Part

cAp VC v1 10%
fW Graham Cracker 5%
cAp Frnch. Vanilla 2.5%
fA Marshmallow !.5%
cAp Cake Batter 1%
cAp Butter 0.2% ( or 2 drops per 10 ml)
tFa DDL 1 %

steep for min. 1 week-this is your standard custard after 3-4 weeks with a low % of flavorings.
NB there is no added sweetner, by all means add some if you like really sweet liquid. I don't because at higher wattages in wide airflow rda's all I get is sweetness and very little else.

Mr Cookie-Part

cAp Sugar Cookie 5%
fW Sugar Cookie 2%
cAp Butter 0.75%
fW Caramel Candy 4%
tFa Brown Sugar 1%
nF Butterscotch !%

Same steep profile as the custard, 1 week min.

If you Frankenstein them together, you get creme brulee-apparently!!!!!!!!!

And if you've got that eggy thing sorted, I'd love an egg custard recipe.

Well, not there yet but.. here's the profile. I'd love to have some collaboration on this. I've tried different %'s but like these combined for the eggy custard cream element.

Custard Cream Cookie

cream base:

fA Whipped Cream 3%
fA Meringue 2%
tFa DDL !% (or less)

added to this:

cAp VC v1 10%
fW Graham Cracker3%
cAp Sugar Cookie 5%
tFa AP (acetyl pyrazine) 0.75%

:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

Last edited:

Pugs1970

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Manchester UK
Just mixed another two custards.

One i was just sitting here thinking of other ingredients with egg in the actual food it represents. Cake batter definitely came to mind as something my mother would never let me eat as a kid for fear of salmonella lol. I also saw a random post somewhere else that with FA Vienna Cream and FA Caramel, it's a spot on mixture for egg nog without the spices.

Cake Batter Custard (my own name)
CAP Cake Batter 5%
CAP Vanilla Custard 6%
FA Cream Fresh 1%
FA Vienna Cream 3%
FA Catalan Cream 1%
FA Caramel 3%

notes: i am VERY impressed with the initial drip of this one. I can't wait to see where it goes with some steep time. I would immediately go make another 120ml batch, but alas, I don't think i have enough of any of the ingredients.

The other one i mixed is something I've done before and really enjoyed. It's supposed to be a clone of Breakfast at Teleos The Milk. Never had it before, but loved the recipe.

Crunch Berry Custard
TFA Berry Crunch 8%
CAP Vanilla Custard 7%
FW Capt Crunch Berries 2%
TFA Brown Sugar 2%
TFA Sweet Cream 2%
TFA Cheesecake 2%

So...thought I'd make an appearance on this thread a year down the line to see where it's got to! lol, when I first posted the thread I was a total newbie to DIY, hit it pretty hard to be fair and it's become a relatively successful 2nd income ;) but THE perfect custard has still eluded me, but I do LOVE the sound of the cake batter custard, currently have 100ml steeping in a jar along with a few Jack Daniels wood chips, I am hoping for something special, but I am going to give it at least a month. Thanks for the recipe in advance! ;)

dschulte6385

Jul 21, 2014
michigan
Hi everyone, new to ECF, but have read tons of posts on here, and have had alot of success through everyone here, but i want to get back to this eggy custard topic, im going to try juicynoos's cream base and experiment with that, but i have tried dozens of different flavors to no avail. All i want is a rich eggy custard, i have into diy for about 2 years now, and trying to find my egg custard for about 8 months or so, i have been dying to figure out the eggyness to it, like when u get a name brand custard juice, and it has this crazy in your face rich eggy profile to it. How do they get it? What is the secret...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread