All my coils only last 1-3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
Hangsen offers 50/50 & high VG line of liquids... Not saying using hangsen liquids will improve your head life, at least they aren't unknown maker type liquids.
Ever thought about DIY e liquids?

So far I more or less exclusively used Hangson juice... currently I am using Hangson tobacco (very transparent, see links below), because I thought that this might be the most neutral one...

And yes, I will DIY liquids... once I passed my 'orientation phase'...

Having read all this, I will hazard the guess your juice is pretty gunky. You may want to try something a bit less sweet

Those are the liquids that I extensively used to far (accross all nicotin mg):
o Tobacco Style Flavor E-liquid for E Cigarette by Hangsen 6MG 50ML-$4.32 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
o Juicy Peach Flavor E-liquid for E Cigarette by Hangsen 6MG 50ML-$4.32 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
o Fruit Apple Flavor E-liquid for E Cigarette by Hangsen 0MG 50ML-$4.85 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

And this is my 'special candidate'... everytime I used it, the coil was burnt 30mins later... BUT it can also be that this juice simply was at the wrong place at the wrong time... meaning that at this stage of coil usage also any other juice could have been the problem-juice:
o Pirate Mermaid E-juice 50ML 6MG-$4.18 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

My next test will be, that I sacrifice a new coil: I will use Pirate Mermaid right from the beginning...

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The juicy peach, apple & mermaid would all be what I consider extremely sweet liquids.
To my taste the mermaid & juicy peach are horrendously sweet, bordering on un vapable too sweet.
To me the mermaid on top of being too sweet is way over flavored & my bottle obviously had colorant added, it was light blue, just me, I don't vape liquids containing any colorants.
Yes, I have vaped those 3, they are very gunky liquids, can't say I have tried that exact tobacco flavor.

Using those liquids I'd hope for more head life than 20ml, but not much more maybe 30ml - 40ish ml.
The mermaid killed 2 of my heads in less than 1 tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: kirschm

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
Having read all this, I will hazard the guess your juice is pretty gunky. You may want to try something a bit less sweet

My next test will be, that I sacrifice a new coil: I will use Pirate Mermaid right from the beginning...

mermaid would all be what I consider extremely sweet liquids

It is the juice!!! Dead after 170 puffs with a new coil... burnt... all other parameters beeing constant...

Reactions: suprtrkr

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
One point to consider is; "all other parameters being consistent"

Different flavors & flavorings will taste best at different power levels, some will burn in a set up like yours at 8.5w, while other flavors may take 11w to even taste good.

You simply cannot set your power device to xx watts using xxΩ and expect all liquids to taste good or not burn at that power level.

The whole point in using a variable power output device is to be able to adjust power up/down to find your personal sweet spot using a wide variety of flavors, pg/vg ratio's, resistances, airflow settings etc...
I have a green apple watermelon I vape occasionally/rarely, if I exceed 9.4w it starts tasting odd/off, 3 or 4 hits at that power & bammo burnt.
Keep it around 8.2w - 8.8w the taste stays great & head lasts for about 50- 60mls, that liquid is a notorious coil gunker / head killer and the main reason I rarely vape it.

Not saying that liquid will ever work well for you, but you do have to experiment to find what works best.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello, I am new to vaping... I am using the Aspire Nautilus and Nautilus 2 on an Eleaf iStick pico with 1.8 Ohm Aspire BVC Coils.
My problem is simple: they last max. 1-3 days... or to be precise: 900-1250 puffs (on average 3.9 Sec per puff)... equaling to less than 20ml juice... then they taste burnt...
Welcome and glad you joined.
Wish I could lend personal experience solution,using RDA's only here.
Might help to read:
http://diyordievaping.com/2016/02/26/why-is-my-ejuice-harsh-beginner-diy-ejuice-tips/
Wattage vs. Flavor | E-Cigarette Forum
How to adjust your base to reduce that peppery harsh Nicotine taste | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: kirschm

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
...flavors... some will burn in a set up like yours at 8.5w, while other flavors...

I have a green apple watermelon I vape occasionally/rarely, if I exceed 9.4w it starts tasting odd/off, 3 or 4 hits at that power & bammo burnt.
Keep it around 8.2w - 8.8w...

Those words make me 'thinking'... I didn't consider this... especially when there are some guys in some forums that call you an idiot when you say that liquid (beside PG/VG concentration) has an impact on head life...

Before I read your post above I was just about to dispose all my 'Pirate Mermaid' (I ordered a lot of it, because I like the taste... at the beginning of a new coil...)... but now I will give it a try to simply never use it above 8.x W...

Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I think you're missing my point, and taking my responses out of context quoting things Ive said that may not or do not pertain to your situation.

The green apple watermelon I talked about as an example in the post you quoted out of context is a high quality very low flavoring %, clear as water, non sweet / no sweeteners added at all, no colorants added 50/50 4mg/ml Nic.

At least the mermaid I've seen & tried (exact brand & bottle as you have) was way overly flavored, way overly sweetened and had colorant added / light blue.
I won't vape another single puff of it, I don't use liquids with colorant added, at all.

As I said, the mermaid killed 2 heads in less than one tank,,, two (2) heads in less than one (1) tank - nautilus mini = 2ml, two heads in less than two ml of the mermaid.
I tried everything from 6w ~ 10.4w, no luck.
If you're getting better results than that, I'd have to say you're doing good with that quality of e liquid.

At least 3 of the 4 liquids you're using are goopy gunky head killer type liquids.

I wouldn't vape liquids with colorant added, none.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
8w may be too high for some liquids in the delivery device (tank) you're using.
There really aren't any good suggestions for a different 'tank' that may have better head life using goopy gunky and colored liquids.

If those are the liquids you can get, and want to vape, about the only suggestion I have is to use an RBA of some sort.
That way you can remove the wicking material & dry burn/clean the coil every 20mls or so, then re wick & vape another 20mls. About once a month build/wrap a new coil mount it, wick it and continue.

But, seems like it would be a better idea to get some higher quality liquids (if available where you are), again I wouldn't vape any liquids with coloring added, none.

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I wouldn't buy any liquid from them.
Halo, maybe Liqua, if that is the only place you can buy from.
Their selection of halo is extremely limited, some folks like liqua, to me it is overly flavored & sweetened.
No colorants, clear.

Might want to ask where to purchase liquids locally or what decent quality liquids can be shipped to your area in the Germany sub forum ---> Germany Forum

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
I wouldn't buy any liquid from them.
Halo, maybe Liqua, if that is the only place you can buy from.

The only reason that I sofar bought from gearbest was that I wanted to get a first impression about the various flavours... at the end of the day I want to DIY...

And yes, I have a Liqua Tobacco... fairly sweet... sweeter than Hangson...

Re: Do it yourself... don't know how the law is outside Europe... but here you can only buy Nicotine base that is limited to a) 20mg/ml and b) has to be sold in tiny max. 10ml (!!!) bottles... to get 1 liter of nicotine base you are 1) a poor man and 2) get more plastic than liquid... 100 plastic bottles for 1 Liter of nicotine base... but... offtopic...

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
DIY does give way more options. I notice when I don't vape ANY storebought juices, my coils gunk up far less rapidly, and I Am using max VG in my tank. I do add a small percentage of water to thin it however. I can't use PG due to inhaled sensitivity, but I do have thick VG juice, that is very lightly flavored, and I don't add sweeteners at all. I have come to enjoy this type of e-liquid much more than premixed juices that may have colorant, more flavoring, and sweetener.

I don't think it's as simple as "vape whatever you want" at the correct wattage, I have a feeling that the storebought coco that I used could have killed a coil with NO wattage, honestly, if I even put a tiny bit in with my own juices (coco and caramel is a good mix for me, but I did buy coco and at my next mixing session I plan to make my own) it will shorten coil life regardless of wattage. I usually vape my 1.8 coil at about 7 watts, though, and I do think not overheating my e-juice (as well as consistent wicking, by that I mean continuing to inhale after I stop hitting the fire button, it wicks juice up into the coil) adds to my coil life. I'm getting much better coil life than I WAS (maybe 2--3 days on a 1.8 coil) but I have switched up a bunch of stuff.

I do love that coco flavor, and keep it around for when I really want some sweet, I just make sure to use a coil that I've already cleaned and brought back to life once, and don't expect it to last a long time. I don't mind burning out a coil sometimes if that's something I'm really craving.... It's a tradeoff with those small Nautilus coils, but I have begun isolating what brings me better coil life versus not. It's a variety of factors, some of which I have control over, some of which I don't (not using PG).

Good luck with it! I would try some flavors that aren't so sweet. For example, I enjoy brandy flavor which I purchased store bought. It's on the tart side, but it does taste like brandy, it's a clear liquid, and I go for flavors that I like that won't gunk up my coil these days. I still reuse them at least once, but only because it is quite easy (for me) to do.

Good luck with all of it, you'll either get it figured out on the juice/wattage/coil side of things, or decide that if the flavorings you lean towards are coil killers, start building your own coils. That's kind of the choice I think you are going to have to make.

Anna

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
DIY does give way more options. I notice when I don't vape ANY storebought juices, my coils gunk up far less rapidly, and I Am using max VG in my tank. I do add a small percentage of water to thin it however. I can't use PG due to inhaled sensitivity, but I do have thick VG juice, that is very lightly flavored, and I don't add sweeteners at all. I have come to enjoy this type of e-liquid much more than premixed juices that may have colorant, more flavoring, and sweetener.

I don't think it's as simple as "vape whatever you want" at the correct wattage, I have a feeling that the storebought coco that I used could have killed a coil with NO wattage, honestly, if I even put a tiny bit in with my own juices (coco and caramel is a good mix for me, but I did buy coco and at my next mixing session I plan to make my own) it will shorten coil life regardless of wattage. I usually vape my 1.8 coil at about 7 watts, though, and I do think not overheating my e-juice (as well as consistent wicking, by that I mean continuing to inhale after I stop hitting the fire button, it wicks juice up into the coil) adds to my coil life. I'm getting much better coil life than I WAS (maybe 2--3 days on a 1.8 coil) but I have switched up a bunch of stuff.

I do love that coco flavor, and keep it around for when I really want some sweet, I just make sure to use a coil that I've already cleaned and brought back to life once, and don't expect it to last a long time. I don't mind burning out a coil sometimes if that's something I'm really craving.... It's a tradeoff with those small Nautilus coils, but I have begun isolating what brings me better coil life versus not. It's a variety of factors, some of which I have control over, some of which I don't (not using PG).

Good luck with it! I would try some flavors that aren't so sweet. For example, I enjoy brandy flavor which I purchased store bought. It's on the tart side, but it does taste like brandy, it's a clear liquid, and I go for flavors that I like that won't gunk up my coil these days. I still reuse them at least once, but only because it is quite easy (for me) to do.

Good luck with all of it, you'll either get it figured out on the juice/wattage/coil side of things, or decide that if the flavorings you lean towards are coil killers, start building your own coils. That's kind of the choice I think you are going to have to make.

Anna
I also vape 100% vg and I find myself in the winter time putting my bottles on top of the heat vent! Since I use menthol sometimes crystals develope when it's cold, plus it's thick! Lol

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It is the juice!!! Dead after 170 puffs with a new coil... burnt... all other parameters beeing constant...
Now you know. Basically, you have two options: switch to something less sweet or learn to build coils, which can be burnt clean and rewicked for a few pennies.

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
Now you know. Basically, you have two options: switch to something less sweet or learn to build coils, which can be burnt clean and rewicked for a few pennies.

Currently the RBA-option is not so good... since I liked the taste of my Nautilus, Nautilus Mini and Nautilus 2 so much, I bought almost 10 of them for my girlfriend and me... plus many iStick Picos... so that we can use various devices with various flavours at any place... a typical foolish behaviour of a newby that believes that something simple like vaping cannot be complicated... since I also ordered tons of 1.8 Ohm coils (because I realized that they only last for 1-3 days) I am now somehow bounded to this equipment... shame on me...

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well.... Okay, so you have a lot of coils and Nautilus equipment. So the good news is, you can start DIY!! (I'm not kidding by the way, it's easy). :) I'd start checking out the DIY forum which is a subforum of the e-juice forum, the folks there are very knowledgeable, friendly, and can help get you started. You will save money even if you are burning through coils. You may not want to re-use them if you are now annoyed and want to burn your way through them, but you can extend the life by soaking/washing/cleaning/drying and it takes mere moments. I do it with every coil at LEAST once. Honestly, though, if building calls to you more, I'd take some of those coils off your hands if you want. I plan to be vaping my Kabuki with Nautilus coils 4-ever. :)

I really think you can start making your juices work for you, though, and to be frank, the fact that we don't know a WHOLE lot about inhaled flavorings, the ability to make mine not too sweet or overpowering is actually an asset, as far as I'm concerned. Or, you can unload your equipment (probably) and take the loss.

I SO WOULD NOT DO THAT until you tried an RTA or two, first. You may find you hate them and want those Nautilus coils. You can find a decent RTA that will come with some materials and prewrapped coils and cotton to get a taste of coilbuilding without having to buy a coilmaster kit or whatnot, probably between $10--30 that would suit your needs, might be worth checking out the RTA/RTDA forum for suggestions for a new setup and test out the process and if it works better with your juices, and what you prefer :)

Seriously though, trying both those things (on a small scale to start with) will at least give you a good sense of your OPTIONS from here.... Best of luck!

Anna

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
Okay, so you have a lot of coils and Nautilus equipment. So the good news is, you can start DIY!! (I'm not kidding by the way, it's easy).

Yeah, the good thing is, that I have so much Nautilus + Coils that I won't even have a problem as an 'RBA-idiot'... time plays no role...

BUT: When I see that there are 'millions of' satisfied Nautilus users accross the world, I know that the problem is somehow me... and I want to find out why I am an idiot... the first thing is for sure the juice issue... I don't want to give up so quickly regarding the Nautilus... Even, if one coil only lasts for 1-3 days it would not be the end of the world... smoking is much more expensive...

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I have no idea of the vaping community in Germany, if y'all have B&M vape shops or which decent quality liquid vendors will ship to you.

I'm probably missing something, but, at least to me If you have devices you like & spare heads,,, seems easier to find better liquids. Or, spend some time figuring out how to source DIY e liquid components so you can control the quality & flavoring & swetner %.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread