All my coils only last 1-3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
@Topwater Elvis ... that's exactly my intention... and I am really happy that you guys gave me the relevant tipps and hints... I asked the same question in a German forum... and when I said that I think that specific juices are more problematic than others they more or less told me that I am talking bull.......

Edit: uups, this would not happen in a German Forum... regarding the bull... :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think you are an idiot. It's kind of a well known fact that Nautilus coils aren't good for that long, esp. with sweet or dark juices. It's really.... You can't expect the same kind of coil life that you would out of a DL octocouple coil which is DESIGNED for high juice flow, high VG, and usually (IMO, as to me DL is less flavorful) high flavor or dark juices. I mean, my aspire Cleto coils last forever, but I hate subohming. My son used that tank and he'd go through at LEAST 250 ml of juice in a month, and changed his coils monthly. BUT, that's what THOSE coils were designed for, and they cost far more as they are KNOWN to last longer, and are probably more expensive to make.

So, You Are Not An Idiot. You are experiencing what many people who like the BVC coils do-- if you have gunk factors (I do) then the coils will last for less time. So please, don't be upset with yourself, it's not as if you are doing ANYTHING wrong, other than experiencing the limitations of the equipment. All equipment has them, in one form or another. I'd love it if my coils lasted forever, but I live with it and work with the factors I CAN to get the most out of them. Everything in vaping is a trade off (IMO). So you just gotta decide how you are going to handle it. Don't beat yourself up, I have purchased many a piece of equipment that I HATED or decided I would probably never use. That's kind of how you find your "sweet spot" to vaping.

All my "bad" stuff is just shoved in the vacopalypse closet and I don't think about it, other than to think "that could probably be of use to me or someone else in the future," and then I STOP THINKING. :)

Enjoy the coils for what they are and move on to your next experiment, one step at a time. The good news is you like the vape, and you have a lot of it. So, at least there is THAT. Imagine if you HATED all those setups completely.... That would suck harder. :)

Anna

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
I don't think you are an idiot. It's kind of a well known fact that Nautilus coils aren't good for that long, esp. with sweet or dark juices

Again such a great information in this forum... I don't have a problem when it's natural that Nautilus BVC coils have a limited lifetime, especially under specific conditions... I googled like hell about this and didn't find such an information... so I that I thougt that I am the idiot...

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I guess I didn't make it clear, you ain't nutz, or an idiot, or full of male bovine poo at all or in any way.

Goopy gunky, dark or colored, highly flavored and especially highly sweetened liquids reduce head life.
WTA & NET also reduce head life. Too much or too little power also reduce head life. Walking backwards while vaping on Tuesday also does.

seapeach

Cloud Dweller
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2015
Florida
When I vape my violet DIY my Nautilus coils will last a month (4% flavorings). When I vape something like Betelguese (20% flavorings), or with high % of flavorings, my same coils will last 3-4 days max. I vape 7 ml of juice daily with air hole wide open at anywhere from 10-15 watts.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Goopy gunky, dark or colored, highly flavored and especially highly sweetened liquids reduce head life.
WTA & NET also reduce head life. Too much or too little power also reduce head life. Walking backwards while vaping on Tuesday also does.

So that's why Wednesday is the rewicking/changing coil day.;)

Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hey, I was in the same boat as you kirschm...not long ago. Got the Nautilus 2 and loved it, but no matter what juice I used, day 1 was great, day 2 PERFECT, day 3 fine, and day 4 really started the downhill slide. It wasn't so much a burnt taste, but just couldn't get flavor/TH any more, so I'd change coils. And I was vaping only 2 ml a day of Tribeca, about 200 hits per day. Having quit smoking (45 years), I really, really, needed a good hit. And the harder I'd hit, the worse it got. So I got real tired of blowing through a $15 5 pack of coils so quick, and playing the games (can I get one more day out of this one?). So I broke down and bought a couple of Kayfun mini v3 clones, some cotton ($4), wire($4), all for about $35. Should be able to build about 250 coils for less than $10. And even better, the coils last longer. Pull apart one of the Nautilus BVC coils, and you can see why - the coil itself is tiny, and the cotton is very compressed. Run any amount of juice thru it, and the carbon will build up on that tiny coil in a hurry. Probably the best factory coil on the market as I hear it, but.....Anyway, if you have any "tinkering skills" it's worth a try. It's kept me off of smokes for over 4 months now, and I only crave the juice, rather than a cig. Good luck!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
When I used an N mini full time at 10 watts with pre mix eliquid a coil lasted a week to 10 days. A brother oof mine uses an N mini at 11 watts with e liquid I mix for him that is 50-50 PG/VG and just 1% flavoring. He gets 2-3 weeks from a coil, usually 3 weeks. The problem is probably gunky e liquid. Sweetners like to carmalize rapidly on coils.

kirschm

Aug 17, 2017
Meanwhile I testet all my juices at 8.8W instead of 11.1W... the impact is tremendous.

Example: Seven RY4 6mg juice

o 11.1W... 570 Puffs
o 8.8W... currently at more than 2000 Puffs... and still working like at the beginning...

So: Wattage matters, even if the difference ist only 2 Watt... and the taste does not suffer at the lower Wattage...

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Agreed- I've learned that as well. I used to set the wattage so that I got a full hit without a "priming puff." Now I set it to the lowest I can get it to fire and still taste it. I have to do a priming puff or two to get a full hit, but actually taste the flavor much better without the additional heat

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think juice and wattage are the main factors. I wish I could add a bit of PG to my mixes, but I just can't. So, I thin slightly with H20 and that does help.... I've found that DIY where I use VASTLY less flavor than storebought helps as well. To be fair, my Nautilus 0.7 coils last a great deal longer (over a week, regardless of what juices I use) I think there's something about sub0hm coils though I can't figure out WHAT it is, since the coil design looks fairly similar.... Cleto coils do seem to have extraordinarily long life, though they're built to handle high VG and whatnot, but they aren't cheap, either.

I'd love to have a Nautilus coil last for a month, but I'm not willing to trade all flavoring joy to do so.... I'd say I get approx. 2 weeks out of a coil with one time washing and reusing, slightly longer depending on which coil I'm using, and that's not terrible for what those coils cost... So, I'm content. Knowing I can build as well makes me less angsty about things, though I'd imagine that Nautilus BVC coils will be around for a while, which is great, and I have quite the stash built up, so, I try not to worry about it too much, as these coils are fairly inexpensive and I love how they vape.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread