Not open for further replies.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
When I started vaping I had all kinds of allergy symptoms... runny nose, excessive mucous, phlegm, my ears plugged up something fierce! Now it seems to all have subsided. I'm not sure exactly what was going on, but it's ok now.

Yah know, it'd be hard to say. I dunno about out there but our pollen "seasons" have gone completely off the rails lately. And prone to allergies as my family is, "...runny nose, excessive mucous, phlegm, my ears plugged up something fierce..." means, "must be Tuesday". :)

Litta'sGabby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Sandston, Virginia, United States
I vaped a Green Smoke disposable in their menthol flavor (and I used to smoke menthol cigs) and woke up with a numb upper lip! Just on the left side of my upper lip! It was strange, and it has never happened again...not sure if it was an allergic reaction or not, since it never happened again and was only on part of my lip, but I guess it could have been. I'm just glad I can still vape.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I vaped a Green Smoke disposable in their menthol flavor (and I used to smoke menthol cigs) and woke up with a numb upper lip! Just on the left side of my upper lip! It was strange, and it has never happened again...not sure if it was an allergic reaction or not, since it never happened again and was only on part of my lip, but I guess it could have been. I'm just glad I can still vape.

I've had some numbness if some liquid gets in my mouth. Like an overfilled carto (so it was my fault then). I also, heh, went to sniff a new liquid and I have no idea how but I inhaled a tiny droplet of the liquid. You wanna talk burning sensation? Oof!

So, maybe the juice could have leaked a bit from the disposable? Nicotine's actually pretty potent stuff. I've read that drop for drop, it's more poisonous than snake venom. Which is weird to think about.

It is the natural defense of the tobacco plant against pests that would eat the plant. Then again, so's caffeine. They're both natural pesticides.

(We humans ingest the weirdest things huh?)

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yah know, it'd be hard to say. I dunno about out there but our pollen "seasons" have gone completely off the rails lately. And prone to allergies as my family is, "...runny nose, excessive mucous, phlegm, my ears plugged up something fierce..." means, "must be Tuesday". :)

I do have allergies (since I moved from Hawaii to Ca), but this was different. It was constant, day and night, all day and night. Couldn't hardly breath when I laid down to go to sleep so I had to sleep sitting up. Also had shortness of breath and that heavy chest feeling. Whenever I would stop vaping for a day or so, all of it went away. Start vaping again... everything started up again. My body just took awhile to adjust so now for the most part, I don't have any of the symptoms. I actually find it strange... and a little alarming!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Like most smokers, my lungs cleared up when I started vaping and have stayed that way for 6 months... night-time wheezing stopped completely, allergy symptoms decreased, etc, and it happened fast (one week) but, six months in, the last few days my old chest congestion and drippy nose are back but not to the point of wheezing. I don't know if its because allergy season is here or its an offending flavoring I used for the first time a few days ago. Time will tell but I do wish peeps experiencing congestion would say what flavors/brands and PGVG they're using or if they changed their PG/VG content when the problems started. IE: I'm trying to say, I don't think the problems are with vaping but with what's being vaped. Its not just flavorings either. I also suspect, but can't find anything about it, that there are differences in VG. One vendor-purchased VG causes congestion and another doesn't at the same PG/VG ratios. I have tried different PGs in the unflavored mixes to check it out and its definitely the type of VG causing it.

Edit: well, crap... I didn't do what I was asking for (duh.) If this isn't seasonal allergies, its RealCig Super Concentrated flavoring I got at VapingZone. It is Chinese but I'm not... repeat not... saying it has anything at all to do with being Chinese.. that's just the only descriptor I have to give. I have used multiple flavorings in the same brand (though I don't know what that is) from the same source with no problems.

Redit LOL: Hubby just reminded me that I also used about half a dozen products on my hair three days ago. My hair is mid-back long and worn loose when I sleep. These were products from back when I was smoking and haven't used in about a year... so one of those may be the culprit. Washed my hair so we'll see. I'm leavin this whole long post just as a "goes ta show ya"... may not be vaping related at all.

Last edited:

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Like most smokers, my lungs cleared up when I started vaping and have stayed that way for 6 months... night-time wheezing stopped completely, allergy symptoms decreased, etc, and it happened fast (one week) but, six months in, the last few days my old chest congestion and drippy nose are back but not to the point of wheezing. I don't know if its because allergy season is here or its an offending flavoring I used for the first time a few days ago. Time will tell but I do wish peeps experiencing congestion would say what flavors/brands and PGVG they're using or if they changed their PG/VG content when the problems started. IE: I'm trying to say, I don't think the problems are with vaping but with what's being vaped. Its not just flavorings either. I also suspect, but can't find anything about it, that there are differences in VG. One vendor-purchased VG causes congestion and another doesn't at the same PG/VG ratios. I have tried different PGs in the unflavored mixes to check it out and its definitely the type of VG causing it.

Edit: well, crap... I didn't do what I was asking for (duh.) If this isn't seasonal allergies, its RealCig Super Concentrated flavoring I got at VapingZone. It is Chinese but I'm not... repeat not... saying it has anything at all to do with being Chinese.. that's just the only descriptor I have to give. I have used multiple flavorings in the same brand (though I don't know what that is) from the same source with no problems.

Redit LOL: Hubby just reminded me that I also used about half a dozen products on my hair three days ago. My hair is mid-back long and worn loose when I sleep. These were products from back when I was smoking and haven't used in about a year... so one of those may be the culprit. Washed my hair so we'll see. I'm leavin this whole long post just as a "goes ta show ya"... may not be vaping related at all.

If you consider this statement carefully, it's a contradiction. You can't do one without the other. :)

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
If you consider this statement carefully, it's a contradiction. You can't do one without the other. :)

I think the sentence before the bolded quote puts it in context but I see how you took it. So, clarifying, it seems that many people say vaping makes them cough, produce phlegm, etc. and I'm just sayin its not the act of vaping but what is in the vapor that causes it or it could even be the voltage at which they're vaping causing irritation. I was trying to make the point that we really can't generalize like that... for the sake of noobs really... and that vaping something else may not cause them problems. They would still be vaping then but, this time, without a problem. I think I mentioned that I've been vaping six months without a problem and have possibly suddenly developed one with a new flavoring and do normally with certain types of VG... so its not just vaping but WHAT I'm vaping.

Last edited:

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think the sentence before the bolded quote puts it in context but I see how you took it. So, clarifying, it seems that many people say vaping makes them cough, produce phlegm, etc. and I'm just sayin its not the act of vaping but what is in the vapor that causes it or it could even be the voltage at which they're vaping causing irritation. I was trying to make the point that we really can't generalize like that... for the sake of noobs really... and that vaping something else may not cause them problems. They would still be vaping then but, this time, without a problem. I think I mentioned that I've been vaping six months without a problem and have possibly suddenly developed one with a new flavoring and do normally with certain types of VG... so its not just vaping but WHAT I'm vaping.

I know what you meant, I just found it entertaining... hence the smiley!

Just so you know, I still vape the same stuff from the same vendor I started with. I've also added some other juices since I first started. I no longer react to any of it. However, I also know that if I vape 50/50 PG/VG as an all day vape, I will develop something like a "smoker's cough" where I cough intermittently throughout the day for no reason at all. At first I was really puzzled where this cough was coming from until I realized that I'd been vaping 50/50 for the last two days. Once I stopped... cough went away!

As for the "sake of the noobs", ... people have a right to know. They have a right to read about other peoples experiences without anyone trying to pretty it up or trying to generalize that vaping doesn't cause problems. If that were the truth, there wouldn't be a ton of posts on the topic.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Yeah. I have been griping about it all week. I might as well stop. A guy at work claims the vapor is making his skin break out from 40 feet away. Does he not shower either because he is allergic to water vapor. No wait. Based on the look of him I think I already know the answer to that one. Lol There. Last time I will ..... about this particular subject.

Ya know, it's hard to say. There are some few people who have unusually strong reactions to things most of us never think about. Perfumes, colognes, other such. It's rare but the people who have this problem, it's pretty awful. A seriously hyperactive immune response. And to things that are basically everywhere.

But I also find there are people who apparently have such empty lives, playing victim is about all they got. And they latched onto a real, though very rare, disorder and now get to feel ever so special.

In sort, I think he's full of it. :)

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
My allergies are so common I dont what they are and so mild I dont treat them most the time plus I have the same deal with my asthma. Vaping isnt good for them but its no worse than one of them since its all mild and any irritant is going to get me no doubt. I snuff too and that actually helps! ( nasal old world )

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
As for the "sake of the noobs", ... people have a right to know. They have a right to read about other peoples experiences without anyone trying to pretty it up or trying to generalize that vaping doesn't cause problems. If that were the truth, there wouldn't be a ton of posts on the topic.

Then start a thread about it-- in the health section.

This was dherrington's thread about a co-worker that claimed to be bothered by someone vaping 40 feet away.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I vape 100% Organic VG liquid, Organic Flavorings.
and Use Wizard Lab 100mg for the nicotine.

At around 2 years into Vaping I developed an allergy to both PG and the artificial flavors.

Since I've been vaping organic all my allergies went away.

I don't think there is enough in 2nd hand vape to set off an allergy. The only complaint I ever had was back when I was smoking
Halo the Owners wife complained about the tobacco smell. I switched to non tobacco and never heard a thing since.

I vape right at my desk and no-one minds.

I have mixed feelings about the Proposed California Bill. On the one hand I enjoy vaping at my desk, on the other it would be great to have an excuse every hour to go outside and take a break!!

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
He might be allergic to one of the flavorings or even the pg. Danger Girl one of the hosts on vape tv is allergic to pg to the point even her husband can't vape pg juices around her. I also know I have an allergy to some scents to the point when I went to pay a bill at one of the stores I use to do business with, a man in the back room had on something that not only gave me a headache in just a couple minutes, but sent me in to the only full blown asthma attack I have had since I started vaping.

I also have another friend so allergic to cinnamon, she can't even go into wal-mart around christmas time due to all the scented candles they carry.

Last edited:

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
There's a big difference between you vaping something and being allergic to it and you standing 40 feet away from someone else vaping something and being allergic to it. :)

Of course there is. Although I do know of some people i wish I could stand 40 feet from, vape, smoke or what is your problem?

:glare::laugh:

Last edited:

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Yeah. I have been griping about it all week. I might as well stop. A guy at work claims the vapor is making his skin break out from 40 feet away. Does he not shower either because he is allergic to water vapor. No wait. Based on the look of him I think I already know the answer to that one. Lol There. Last time I will ..... about this particular subject.

you must know my exhusband.
he didn't shower because "it makes my skin itch"
he stopped wearing deo because it made his pits itch, I took him to a derm and he said to use mild women's until breakout subsided then switch to another brand. ex decided he was "allergic to all deo" and stopped wearing it totally.

did I mention he was 350+ lbs and in texas???

then he decided that cutting his toe/finger nails too short would cause fungus. so that stopped.

he wouldn't allow me to roll my window down in the car, despite getting horrible carsickness, and for FIVE years I wasn't allowed to ever EVER open a window in the house. because that would make his allergies worse.
um...fresh air during non pollen season is GOOD for you...

I can only imagine what he'll say when he finds out i'm vaping *lesigh*

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
One reason I did not vape in tight places (especially airplanes) my first year was because 555 often contains peanut or praline flavorings, and I know of an airline that wouldn't even pass out peanuts because the dust can get into the air. Now that I'm vaping a natural tobacco extract flavor instead I don't worry about it.

I'd stop vaping inside without telling him, record the date, get a co-worker to witness it, and see if his symptoms go away. If they don't, you've got an interesting case for personnel if he complains.

If they do go away, then find out what he's allergic to and find a flavor that does not contain it to vape at work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread