Am I the Only One who Prefers a Single Coil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
That Achilles looks nice, better for my purposes than a single coil in a Plume Veil. Speaking of which, some knob at a vape store was looking at my setup and pointed out that I only had one airflow hole open. My PV sleeve for whatever reason is very tight so once the airflow is set it's a huge pain to move. Well thus guy managed to turn the sleeve and open up both airflow holes, which really killed the tight draw on the single coil; took me twenty minutes to pull it apart and set it back to one hole.

Anyways, I just made a Clapton for my Buddha mini and it really kicks.
1.3ohms at 15-18w is the sweet spot.

Last edited:

thmstwwng

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia
My latest experimental build - angled coil & wick. juice travel smoothly by avoiding angled/ bending wick.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: PapawBrett

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
For me personally, vaping is Freedom from 40 years of Tobacco Use. I breathe better, sleep better, eat better (have extra 30 pounds to back that up) and have more energy and am far more productive thanks to Vaping. Much like the Tobacco Pipes I used to smoke, I am a 'Puffer' or a Mouth-To-Lung Vaper. I enjoy a light, easy vape.
For me personally, Vaping is NOT an Olympic Event, and I really couldn't care less about your 'Cloud Size'. I recently traded a new Reos LP/SP Grand and RM5 for a ProVari P2 and an Original Svoemesto Kayfun just because I really found no enjoyment in dual coils or sub-ohming. It was, for me; too hot, left my throat raw and aggravated my sinus allergies, and changed the way my favorite e-liquids taste. I spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years because I HAD TO SMOKE, and I refuse to vape in a manner I am not totally comfortable with.
I run five Various Reos Mods, four have RM2's and one BF Veritas, and Two ProVaris with Kayfuns. Using either a 5/64 or a 3/32 drill bit, I wrap my own coils. I think I might have a few old pictures.
View attachment 406003 View attachment 406004

I am quite comfortable with this vaping style. It wasn't that long ago we were all sucking on drip atomizers and Cartomizers. Which had their own coils in the bottom. Yes, Vaping is still in it's Evolutionary Stage. But sometimes, as I peruse the ECF, I am left to wonder am I the only dinosaur left who is NOT chasing clouds?

As the Title says, Am I the Only One who still Prefers a Single Coil ?
like many here I also prefer a single coil. I too am a former pipe smoker and prefer a cool flavorful vape. I tried a sub-ohm build in my orchid V4 but found it hot and unpleasant.after 6 month of vaping I see a dramatic improvement in my health and energy levels.I use a 2.5mm form and 6 turns of 30 gauge or 9 turns of 28 gauge for a 1.7-1.8 ohm coil and find that give me plenty of flavor and vapor production. cloud chaser are actually a small minority of vapors. you are not a dinosaur or relic

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Achilles_zpshaehdtcu.jpg

The interior of the Achilles. Takes long wicking, but well worth it.

What I love is how the airhole under the coil is so built-up; put the body on and add more juice till it's over the level of the bottom of the posts, and even then, no leaking! It's awesome. :thumb:

Andria

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Tell that to my buddy Bronze. We're he same age, so it's harder for me to lie to him about my age :D
I am 58 years old. a retired OTR haz-mat driver. I ride a bicycle 20 miles a day and have no problem keeping up with my 34 year old girlfriend. you are only as old as you feel.after smoking for 45 years vaping makes me feel much younger

Reactions: petrotech

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
I am 58 years old. a retired OTR haz-mat driver. I ride a bicycle 20 miles a day and have no problem keeping up with my 34 year old girlfriend. you are only as old as you feel.after smoking for 45 years vaping makes me feel much younger

I keep telling my wife that once she turns 40, I'm gonna trade her in for two 20 year olds...

she doesn't find it as amusing as me.

but I too, love single coil builds. here's my favorite on my MicroDrip:

Reactions: mauricem00

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I am 58 years old. a retired OTR haz-mat driver.

56 year old 20 year trucker, currently working for private company that pressure treats lumber and sells to Lowe's Home Improvement, amongst others. Flat bed, so straps and occasionally tarps are involved (NO COILS), but I am home 5- 6 nights a week and all weekends off. I'll keep driving as long as they keep letting me do so.

Reactions: Bronze

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
That Micro Drip is very similar concept to the Achilles.

I love it...it's only 25.00 bucks for the authentic, the flavor is on par with my spheroid, it's the easiest RDA I have to build, and it fits in my microstick. (of course, that's what it was made for. lol)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I love it...it's only 25.00 bucks for the authentic, the flavor is on par with my spheroid, it's the easiest RDA I have to build, and it fits in my microstick. (of course, that's what it was made for. lol)
The micro is a nice option for the narrower PVs. I see they also offer a mini drip for the wider mods. They are very much a copy of the Achilles. As you say, easy to build, excellent flavor, and no leaks.

Subject:09141987

Nov 23, 2012
Earth
For me personally, Vaping is Freedom from 40 years of Tobacco Use. I breathe better, sleep better, eat better (have extra 30 pounds to back that up) and have more energy and am far more productive thanks to Vaping. Much like the Tobacco Pipes I used to smoke, I am a 'Puffer' or a Mouth-To-Lung Vaper. I enjoy a light, easy vape.
For me personally, Vaping is NOT an Olympic Event, and I really couldn't care less about your 'Cloud Size'. I recently traded a new Reos LP/SP Grand and RM5 for a ProVari P2 and an Original Svoemesto Kayfun just because I really found no enjoyment in dual coils or sub-ohming. It was, for me; too hot, left my throat raw and aggravated my sinus allergies, and changed the way my favorite e-liquids taste. I spent tens of thousands of dollars over the years because I HAD TO SMOKE, and I refuse to vape in a manner I am not totally comfortable with.
I run five Various Reos Mods, four have RM2's and one BF Veritas, and Two ProVaris with Kayfuns. Using either a 5/64 or a 3/32 drill bit, I wrap my own coils. I think I might have a few old pictures.
View attachment 406003 View attachment 406004

I am quite comfortable with this vaping style. It wasn't that long ago we were all sucking on drip atomizers and Cartomizers. Which had their own coils in the bottom. Yes, Vaping is still in it's Evolutionary Stage. But sometimes, as I peruse the ECF, I am left to wonder am I the only dinosaur left who is NOT chasing clouds?

As the Title says, Am I the Only One who still Prefers a Single Coil ?

I like both really. Kinda my favorite part about vaping. I can throw a tank on set up for mouth to inhale and get that pipe hit kinda feeling, with tiny plumes drifting into the air, and sometimes I want it to feel like a hookah. Thick massive clouds. It really depends on what I'm vaping, its flavor, nicotine strength. Right now I got this Viva Las Nanas from FaQ 6 mg max VG. I use it on my Doge ll/Istick build with a dual coil 26 G A1 seven wraps each and rip her at 30 watts, but I don't take big long rips with it. I like the sub ohm for this juice for how quick she chucks the vapor out, short two second hits and I get planty of flavor and throat hit without fogging out wherever I am. When I have a more natural flavored liquid like the ones I pick up at Avail I either go single coil 11 wraps with extra wick, or tank. With the single coil on my RDA I get more of a cigar kinda hit that I enjoy with certain flavors.

A funny little rant I know, but that's why tech takes over as it does, you got tons of options and so many combinations that once you move away from the Ego's and TNT kits (Try N Trash) you find yourself sitting back thinking "Okay, now I see what this is about.".

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Absolutely not , i use single coils for everything , work perfectly fine for me. I also never bought into all these fancy coils types making a noticeable difference in flavor. I have tried everything out there and if a single coil is wrapped and wicked properly i see zero difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread