Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This from a Portland, Ore., newspaper editorial:

In our view, the FDA should test and regulate "e-cigarettes" no matter how they're marketed. Nobody knows exactly what chemicals the Chinese manufacturers are putting in the liquid in those cartridges, and nobody in their right mind should be inhaling them.

But, hey. Isn't the same thing true of real cigarettes?

The good news is that support is building in Congress for FDA regulation of tobacco products. They're long overdue for government oversight, and that goes for the fake "electronic" versions, too.

Snuff that e-cigarette! - Oregon Opinion Articles, Political Blogs & Views | The Stump – OregonLive.com

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Here was my email to Bob, the editor.
Gee, Bob I thought you people in the anti-smoking cartel were opposed to smoking because of second-hand smoke. These electronic cigarettes produce no shs. I thought the anti-smokers opposed smoking because of the "4000 carcinogens" in the smoke. E Cigarettes produce no smoke and no carcinogens. I was under the impression that you and other rabid anti-smokers opposed smoking in bars and other private businesses because you were "protecting the workers" Electronic cigarettes produce no shs to "harm" the workers. I thought the anti-smokers opposed smoking because it made their hair and clothes all yucky, necessitating a shower and all. There is no smell to electronic cigarettes. I guess I was wrong in my understanding about anti smokers opposition to smoking, since this opinion piece clearly states that what you really want is to CONTROL smokers, and an invention such as the e cigarette puts a crimp in that. It makes the anti smokers have to go back to the drawing board to find new reasons to oppose electronic cigarettes. As a journalist, you might try going to some more reliable sources than a mall kiosk worker next time you want to diss something. It doesn't look like good journalism when that is your only source, you know. Go to www.e-cigarette-forum if you wish to actually begin to find out what e-smoking is all about. Meanwhile, we can only hope that the FDA does not rely on a mall kiosk operator as its only resource when investigating this issue.

You nailed it sherid, the real agenda is control over others with so many of these anti-smoker types (not all, but quite a lot).

I'm convinced that many authoritarians naturally gravitate toward activist organizations as an outlet to help satisfy their control cravings. That's more dangerous than any benign chemical from China.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
The word for this is priggishness.This stems from the word "prig" - "a precisian, a puritan; a person of precise morals without a sense of proportion; a sanctimonious person, certain of his or her blamelessness and critical of others' failings; a coxcomb" (Chambers). There has been a huge upsurge in this since about the mid-'80s, when political correctness was in the ascendant. When confronted with prigs we should mock their pretensions. They are weak people without redeeming features. :)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I've never bought into any kind of conspiracy theory about no-smoking laws and prefer to think this opposition arose from an increasingly litiguous society and a "not on my watch" mentality among the elected.

First, we'll sue even if we're stupid enough to put a cup of hot coffee between our legs and drive a car. A lawyer -- any lawyer, nowadays -- will sue a "responsible party" for "pain and suffering." It sucks. And it needs to stop. In the meantime, those who might be sued are likely to ban hot coffee. Makes sense to them since it caused the incident that caused the suit. Have you noticed suits lately against bartenders for serving one too many drinks? They're a "responsible party."

Secondly, there used to be accidents, or even "acts of God," but we don't seem to have those much anymore. There's no such thing as a blameless incident with injury or damages. Someone is to blame. Something needs fixing. And precautions need to be taken so terrible consequences never repeat. Thus we get helmet laws for motorcyclists' own protection and various laws to force addicts off their substances.

Enter a few unknowns, as is the case with e-smoking. Governments lament past inaction, blaming those ignorant officials for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of smokers each year. We know better now, they say. So we must prevent further deaths -- so it doesn't happen "on my watch." E-smoking is just another form of smoking to them. If smokers really want to quit, then Big Pharma has approved ways to get them off. No one promotes lifelong maintainance of nicotine addiction, as e-smoking promises. Not on my watch. Tobacco and everything it represents must be toppled like that Saddam statue. That will be "victory."

Add it up. They really do think they're doing the right thing. They are not control freaks for sinister reasons. They are seeking to better statistics accumulated for their watch, their turn in power. They are telling us to "take this medicine and it will make things all better. It's for your own good."

How do you fight that without appearing to pitch a childish tantrum in others' eyes?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
...'it's for your own good' is not necessarily a bad thing when looking after a vulnerable dependant but if we are all treated like that then we have no self determination, no choices and no free will.

We need to wake up and change the victim culture, we are not victims or dependants, we are free thinking, responsible adults.

Unfortunately we are so right wing and authoritarian in politics that there are no popular options for less authority and control.

I've heard it said that in a democracy it's not who's at the top of the heap that matters but the heap itself. Did we really vote for this?

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I wanna see the reply to this.....if he dares.

Here was my email to Bob, the editor.
Gee, Bob I thought you people in the anti-smoking cartel were opposed to smoking because of second-hand smoke. These electronic cigarettes produce no shs. I thought the anti-smokers opposed smoking because of the "4000 carcinogens" in the smoke. E Cigarettes produce no smoke and no carcinogens. I was under the impression that you and other rabid anti-smokers opposed smoking in bars and other private businesses because you were "protecting the workers" Electronic cigarettes produce no shs to "harm" the workers. I thought the anti-smokers opposed smoking because it made their hair and clothes all yucky, necessitating a shower and all. There is no smell to electronic cigarettes. I guess I was wrong in my understanding about anti smokers opposition to smoking, since this opinion piece clearly states that what you really want is to CONTROL smokers, and an invention such as the e cigarette puts a crimp in that. It makes the anti smokers have to go back to the drawing board to find new reasons to oppose electronic cigarettes. As a journalist, you might try going to some more reliable sources than a mall kiosk worker next time you want to diss something. It doesn't look like good journalism when that is your only source, you know. Go to www.e-cigarette-forum if you wish to actually begin to find out what e-smoking is all about. Meanwhile, we can only hope that the FDA does not rely on a mall kiosk operator as its only resource when investigating this issue.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
...'iwe are free thinking, responsible adults.

Unfortunately we are so right wing and authoritarian in politics that there are no popular options for less authority and control.

I'm with you on this . Grown up people should be able to enjoy adult pleasures without governmental interference. And I know a lot of other right-wing people who would agree with me (the left do not have a monopoly on freedom).:)

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
Since I live in Portland I decided to had to post a response..... mostly because he was making comments about the kiosk at the mall selling e-cigs.. and figured it was a get opportunity to at least suggest that people to do their research before buying from Smoking Everywhere at the mall! :mad:

I'm not so good with words... but this was my comment there: :rolleyes:

Several weeks ago at the mall I saw the "Smoking Everywhere" kiosk selling the electronic cigarettes. I had never heard of e-cigs, and thought they were a "brand new thing" only available through this company. As a cigarette smoker for 35+ years -- knowing I should quit -- I was quite fascinated with the e-cig and purchased one, despite the hefty $149.00 price. I certainly don't need to smoke everywhere, and never did... and though I can thank "Smoking Everywhere" for introducing me to the e-cig "idea" -- after getting home and researching online I found there are much better e-cigs available at 1/3 of the price they charged. I ordered a better e-cig online, and have now been TOBACCO FREE for 1 week! I will never go back to tobacco (unless these manage to get banned) and I'm feeling wonderful!! I plan to slowly cut the nicotine down to zero, and hope to quit nicotine all together eventually. Unbelievable that now the anti-smoking folks will try to find fault with smokers choosing e-cigs -- which cause NO harm to others! Why don't you all go save whales or something!

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Apologies Expipeman, you are correct of course. It's not a matter of right and left, it's about authority and anarchy.

Right and left are economic markers mainly and I didn't mean to cast a vote for one or another. Sorry for the inaccuracy.

No problem Kate :) . As responsible adults we can make mistakes - it's just that Governments are now trying to remove that option. Soon I will have to wear a Chairman Mao suit and work for 18 hrs before going to the feelies...:)

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
As they are calling it a tobacco product, what exactly does this have to do with Ecigs I would ask them. There is NO tobacco, so why even consider regulating it? Nicotine is found in many other things naturally as well as tobacco leaves. Should we outlaw cabbage etc? The last few posters have it correct though, this isnt about your health or anyone elses, its about control, period.

HDBanger

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Montrose, MN
What's the feelies Ex?

Hey, HDBanger, I noticed that you've been talking a bit about bans. You might be interested in the details of how the Australians were hit. They're not officially allowed liquid nicotine now. - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...australian-ban-egar-illegal-28.html#post82865

I read about that couple days ago, shook my head in disgust. But, that is Australia, where they have already taken most gun rights etc, same for the UK. Here in the states, they have not and will not be able to do the same, they will try, this I know, but fail they will. It's already getting favored reviews on national TV shows, by Doctors even, not quite the thumbs up, but def positive. Unless someone can show it to be harmful in some other way other than just nicotine addiction, they dont have a chance here, its catching like wildfire.Like I said in a previous post, the biggest threat to esmoking in the good ole US of A is the tobacco companies/lobbyists. They are losing their asses right now with the new FSC cigs, now this catches on, they are doomed and they know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread