Any problems with using imitation vanilla flavor in your DIY ejuice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Trekee

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2011
Ohio, USA
I like vanilla flavor ejuice. Tried vanilla extract with little success. Was wondering if there is any problem using imitation vanilla flavor in your ejuice. Says it contains water, sugar, caramel color, Propylene glycol, and ethyl vanillin artificial flavor. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Happy vaping.

Frank

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
This is a very frequent question we get here. The imitation vanilla that you can buy in the grocery store is too weak,, you'd have to use way too much to get any flavor. You have to use the concentrated flavors. I remember asking this question myself LOL

I like vanilla too.. Tasty vapor sells a juice called ultimate vanilla that is pretty good. with tasty vapor, it's almost like diy, you buy the flavored nic juice and then buy the 2 or 4 oz "doubler" to mix and cut the nic juice. I buy my waffle juice at TV when it's on sale.. I buy the 48mg waffle nic juice and the 4oz waffle doubler and just mix them. I get 120 ml for around $30

Capella has a good vanilla. I like the vanilla custard but there are those who say it's got something in it that could be harmful. I'm trying to switch over to the vanilla cupcake (but the vanilla custard is sooo good!)

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
TPA vanilla swirl is actually my new favorite vanilla, and it does not have the custard notes that capella vanilla custard has, which are what donnah is referring to. They carry a risk of lung damage. van swirl is lighter than VC. As for using artificial vanilla (vanillin), itself, it should be fine. As a store-bought ethanol/sugar solution, sugar is not good to vape as it will caramelize, and it will be too much ethanol.

Old_Trekee

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2011
Ohio, USA
donnah, appreciate the info. Trying to avoid the high prices for the e-juice. Got a gallon of pg usp at tractor supply for $25 and 500 ml of VG at Kroger Pharmacy for $12. I mix 80/20. They carry Lorann flavorings at Kroger, but only the mint oils which you cannot use.

Kurt, does the sugar caramelize in your lungs or just on the atomizer coil?

Thanks again.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Caramelization is partial thermal decomposition, so that will only happen on the coil. I don't know if those products will vaporize into the lungs. Chances are sugar itself will vaporize to some extent. I don't know what the effect of sugar in the lungs is, but its not something I would want be inhaling. There might not be any issues at all, but if I don't know the effects of some liquid component, I personally avoid it until I find out. I'm not big on experimenting with the unknown when my lungs are involved.

donnah, appreciate the info. Trying to avoid the high prices for the e-juice. Got a gallon of pg usp at tractor supply for $25 and 500 ml of VG at Kroger Pharmacy for $12. I mix 80/20. They carry Lorann flavorings at Kroger, but only the mint oils which you cannot use.

Kurt, does the sugar caramelize in your lungs or just on the atomizer coil?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread