Anybody else just buy pre-wrapped coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickVapesEh

Nov 25, 2015
Canada
I like to buy premade Alien coils and the other fancy er looking coils. Also with claptons i buy the spools from UD. Other than that I actually enjoy creating my own coils and being satisfied with my creations. I can make zipper coils, chain coils, and ive been starting to parallel claptons with regular round wire. Its always more fun to be creative and make something that performs very nicely.

Reactions: jmercury1

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
Absolutely no real point on anything dual coil - you don't really need any fancies, just the right gauge to get the right number of wraps for your desired total and simple old coils. If yall are running single coil atties, then perhaps these claptons or twisted ones can be a solution to get the right resistance out of just a single one.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Been wrapping coils for MY T3S for over 10 months and have yet to go thru 1 30' spool of wire.

Been vaping on STM RBA's for a couple of months and have yet to replace a coil.
Rewicked several times though. As I do with my T3S coils.

but yes more people probably vape with premade coil heads than we that coil our own.

Reactions: DaveP

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Wrapping the coil is the easiest part of building an atomizer. Why would I buy coils? I guess if I used other than basic single strand or twisted Kanthal/Nichrome coil at 1ohm +/- .3ohm, it might matter more.
Eh, fer me it's probably just laziness and lack of interest. Now with that admission out of the way there is also my belief that the nr-r-nr coils are more efficient. It's seems to me that more of the battery power goes directly to creating vapor rather than fighting its way thru the resistance wire to get to the "higher" resistance coiled section. Perhaps this has something to do with my rigs creating a fine vaping experience @ only 3.1-3.3 volts? Don't know. Not an electrical engineer. Just satisfied with the way I'm doing it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
Did fiddle with wrapping my own a while, but after finding out that UD sells pre wrapped coils in the resistances I mostly use (1.2 and 0.6 clapton) haven't really bothered with me spools.
Why should I since my eyesight ain't what it used to be and the financial loss is minimal.
Also don't get any joy from wrapping me own, for me the coils are just tools that give me a nice vape.
I do understand that there's also another side in this lil coin, but ain't for me, kudos to those who like to tinker.
Me, I just want to vape.

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
Depends on the tank I am using. If the deck is smaller and I am feeling extra lazy sometimes i'll just buy it and then i'll instantly regret wasting the money. However 90% of the time I just build. Takes about 2-4 minutes and that's it. And most of that time is just finding all my stuff. If I do buy them they are usually the clapton coils beause it's just a real PITA making clapton wire if I am out of the pre packed clapton wire.

9-15$ for a pack of 4 coils is insane.

Even the simple coils are priced a bit high for what they are. 1$ for a coils is a bit much, but for the convenience factor it's nice at times. Especially if you are travelling or something and don't want to take a spool of wire with you.

Reactions: GolemGolem

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
I highly prefer to wrap them myself, that way I can choose to wrap them clockwise or anti-clockwise and also choose the inside diameter of the coil for whatever I happen to be building. Takes me less than two minutes to wrap and install a set of coils and I suppose if I were so inclined I could build a dozen or so beforehand but I just prefer to wrap the coil right before it is installed so that I can build the coil to specifically fit the deck I am working with.

I find with many of the pre-built coils you end up trying to make the coil work as best it can for the deck you are installing it on, rather than specifically building my own coil to make the most of the deck I am installing it on.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use these a lot...

$3.54 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 29 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 1.1ohm / 12*12mm leads / 5 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And seem to throw one into my Chart every time I do an FT Order. I must have 4 or 5 Hundred in the Vape Drawer right now.

LOL

The link says 0.3mm. That has to be wrong ... or is it? It's 29ga wire. That's a tiny wick to insert at .3mm! Other than that, it's a great deal. I'm thinking it's gotta be 3mm.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Buy a simple coil mandrel, a roll of wire, and a Harbor Freight torch, and you are in business for under $25 to make coils for a couple of years, at least.

The mandrel I use is about $9, free shipping, but there's one just like it for $3 ($3.19 shipping) at Amazon when you search for coil mandrel. I like it for the simplicity. You put your thumb on the wire end and wrap around the desired MM step (1/2mm to 5mm) then slide it off. If you anneal with a torch first, the winds stay perfectly in place when you slide it off.
Amazon.com: 5.5" Step Mandrel For Wire Bending In 5 Sizes: 1/2mm, 2, 3, 4, & 5mm
41Bi1Qb5OGL._SL1000_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread