Anybody else just buy pre-wrapped coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use these a lot...

$3.54 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 29 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 1.1ohm / 12*12mm leads / 5 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And seem to throw one into my Chart every time I do an FT Order. I must have 4 or 5 Hundred in the vape Drawer right now.

LOL

I've thought about ordering from fasttech, but I always wonder if I want my CC # floating around China. How do you arrange payment and do you trust them to keep it secure? Do they take Paypal?

Never mind, I read the FAQ and they do accept Paypal and prefer it to other methods. They say they don't retain financial info. The neat part is that Paypal will pay for nicotine purchases. They have Dekang and Hangsen 6mg in 50ml quantity for about $7. I'm paying $12 for that stateside. I really like Chinese juices from Dekang and Hangsen. It might be worth it as an add onto another order.

FastTech securely accepts the following payment methods:
  • VISA
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover
  • PayPal
  • e-Check, Debit Card, and EFT (through PayPal)

Except for orders containing nicotine products, where payment can only be processed by PayPal, you can choose to place orders with or without using PayPal.

If you choose PayPal, please note that PayPal is completely free to use, with no account and no signup required. For more about PayPal, please see PayPal on Wikipedia and PayPal's website.

You may also order from FastTech without using PayPal. For your protection, FastTech does not store any financial information that customers enter. Sensitive information is securely discarded after transmitting to clearing banks.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The link says 0.3mm. That has to be wrong ... or is it? It's 29ga wire. That's a tiny wick to insert at .3mm! Other than that, it's a great deal. I'm thinking it's gotta be 3mm.

Yes there have been alot of misprints of that nature on fasttech; i have seen it alot on their ohms per meter specification on rolls of wire.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The link says 0.3mm. That has to be wrong ... or is it? It's 29ga wire. That's a tiny wick to insert at .3mm! Other than that, it's a great deal. I'm thinking it's gotta be 3mm.

The description is Correct. But it is Kinda Confusing.

The Coils are made out of .3mm NiChrome. And that comes out to about 29ga AWG. And Inside Diameter of the Coils (not stated in the description) is 3mm.

It would be Nice if Fasttech gave the Inside Diameter of the Coils they sell.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've thought about ordering from Fasttech, but I always wonder if I want my CC # floating around China. How do you arrange payment and do you trust them to keep it secure? Do they take Paypal?

Never mind, I read the FAQ and they do accept Paypal and prefer it to other methods. They say they don't retain financial info. The neat part is that Paypal will pay for nicotine purchases. They have Dekang and Hangsen 6mg in 50ml quantity for about $7. I'm paying $12 for that stateside. I really like Chinese juices from Dekang and Hangsen. It might be worth it as an add onto another order.

I use Paypal when Ordering from FT.

I like that I don't have to Submit my CC info. And it also adds a Layer of Customer Service if I need to File a Claim. Something that I have Never had to do. And I have made a Couple Dozen purchases with them.

Reactions: DaveP

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes there have been alot of misprints of that nature on fasttech; i have seen it alot on their ohms per meter specification on rolls of wire.

Yeah... This is something you have to Keep an eye on. And read any Customer Reviews if there are any.

For the Pre-Made Coils in the Link above, the Ohms are Extremely Consistent. But you need to Factor in if a Leg of the Coil needs to be Unwrapped by 1/2 a Turn so the Legs are oriented with your Deck. And how much Leg is going to be Cut Off once the Coil is Mounted.

For the Pre-Made Coils I linked to, once mounted on a Subtank Mini or Wine RTA, they come out to .95 Ohms.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW - I have some of these coming in Probably this week.

3961902-1.jpg

$3.24 Authentic MKWS Nichrome Resistance Pre-Coiled Wire for RBA Atomizer (15-Pack) - 30*2 AWG / 0.25mm*2 dia. / 1.2ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They are supposed to be 3.5mm ID -x- 4.5mm OD.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'll bet they are cheap enough to forget about using a drill and a vise. Cool!

Yeah... They're about 22 Cents per Coil.

And if a Coil lasts 5 Days, that comes out to about 5 Cents per Day. At 5 Cents per day, I would be Hard Pressed to make my own Twisted Coils.

BTW - I was going to add these to the Cart on my last Order.

$7.06 Clapton Nichrome Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (30-Pack) - 24/32 AWG / 0.5mm*0.2mm dia. / 0.5ohm / 19.5mm*19.5mm leads at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

But at that time, there was a "Ships in 7 Days" notice on them. And I wanted to get my last order in Before the Chinese Holidays. Now they are In Stock. Can't Win for Losing. LOL.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I buy the precoiled wire from FT. Like $3.50 for a little bag of 50 coils for my Evods. 1.8-2.4 ohm.

Those work much better than i expected them to as i bought a 50 pack before i learned how to build myself , they are well worth the $$ if your in a rush and don't build your own.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Wrapping the coil is the easiest part of building an atomizer. Why would I buy coils? I guess if I used other than basic single strand or twisted Kanthal/Nichrome coil at 1ohm +/- .3ohm, it might matter more.

I highly prefer to wrap them myself, that way I can choose to wrap them clockwise or anti-clockwise and also choose the inside diameter of the coil for whatever I happen to be building. Takes me less than two minutes to wrap and install a set of coils and I suppose if I were so inclined I could build a dozen or so beforehand but I just prefer to wrap the coil right before it is installed so that I can build the coil to specifically fit the deck I am working with.

I find with many of the pre-built coils you end up trying to make the coil work as best it can for the deck you are installing it on, rather than specifically building my own coil to make the most of the deck I am installing it on.

Buy a simple coil mandrel, a roll of wire, and a Harbor Freight torch, and you are in business for under $25 to make coils for a couple of years, at least.

The mandrel I use is about $9, free shipping, but there's one just like it for $3 ($3.19 shipping) at Amazon when you search for coil mandrel. I like it for the simplicity. You put your thumb on the wire end and wrap around the desired MM step (1/2mm to 5mm) then slide it off. If you anneal with a torch first, the winds stay perfectly in place when you slide it off.
Amazon.com: 5.5" Step Mandrel For Wire Bending In 5 Sizes: 1/2mm, 2, 3, 4, & 5mm
41Bi1Qb5OGL._SL1000_.jpg

Those work much better than i expected them to as i bought a 50 pack before i learned how to build myself , they are well worth the $$ if your in a rush and don't build your own.
Well the reason I use them is that I believe the nr-r-nr wire directs all the power from my little 650 mah batteries to the coiled portion of the wire rather than wasting it fighting its way thru the 3/4" legs of my Evod coils.
Now I do understand that in a normal RBA the legs don't really amount to much but not so in the Kanger type atties. So no matter how simple it is to coil then yourself I don't think it would be all that easy to make my own nr-r-nr wire to wind myself.

Last edited:

MrNobody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2015
I bought some premade alien coils from m.terk, may try some of his fused stapled but that's about it. I make everything else myself, claptons, fused and twisted. I've tried aliens/fused staple but I never have much luck and I just end up getting angry and wasting wire. I may end up trying out that rotating coil wheel from UD, can't really go wrong for the price.

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Did fiddle with wrapping my own a while, but after finding out that UD sells pre wrapped coils in the resistances I mostly use (1.2 and 0.6 clapton) haven't really bothered with me spools.
Why should I since my eyesight ain't what it used to be and the financial loss is minimal.
Also don't get any joy from wrapping me own, for me the coils are just tools that give me a nice vape.
I do understand that there's also another side in this lil coin, but ain't for me, kudos to those who like to tinker.
Me, I just want to vape.
Where do you buy em?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
I have a premade in mine now. 24 gauge .5ohm. Reads .59 on both my meters. Working good. I do wrap also. Got mine from Myvaporstore View attachment 529475 View attachment 529474
The K100! Loved that mod, it lasted pretty good. A mech with ego threading - if there was a Mutation v3 with ego threads I think I could keep that going a good long time.

Reactions: Vesuvius

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
I always built my own coils, but was never able to do anything fancy because I own no drills. I recently ordered a pack of these bad boys:
4176600-3.jpg

Popped one into my kayfun mini3 and man is it good flavor. I used to do a simple manually twisted macro coil, but the flavor of these is quite a bit better. Thanks for the tip on the clapton spool, I'll get one of those on my next order.

Reactions: zoiDman
I Have Done in the past 50 pack of Kanthal 0.6 and a 50 pack of ni 200 0.6.Also bought pre-made Claptons,Tiger coils,28 AWG Quadruple Twisted.I just need to try Stainless steel yet as iv heard good things..and of course the UD Rolls of Kanthal.The best wire I have used is by Aria Anarchist that stuff is competition Grade

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

GemInEye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2015
Somewhere In PA
I get pre built coils off of FT and MVS as well. I have terrible fingers so trying to wrap coils around my jig takes me 15mins and its going to be a pretty crappy coil at that. Also because of my fingers i squash coils alot so i need to have lots around in case i have to throw one out and try again while installing a new one. I would love to get some claptons , i may check FT for some. I also use plenty of stock coils too in my tanks.

Reactions: Foggy Road
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread