• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Are you a programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andruc123

Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I just ran across this thread while wasting hours skipping about on this forum.

1. Sr Software Developer
2. Yup
3. Just for the last month or so
4. ADD with slight H

Developing software allows me to enter a state of hyper-focus and circumvent the effects of ADD. Unfortunately, that only applies when the project is interesting and after I actually get started.

Luckily I began taking ADD medication a long while back and it makes all the difference. Being able to concentrate and participate in meetings, be proactive and schedule time is my norm now. Heaven help me when I forget to take a pill; I can end up thinking about how I can't think about anything for at least an entire morning.

Since most ADD/ADHD medications are stimulants, I wonder if nicotine's stimulant properties account for some of the appeal for smoking/vaping with people that are "attentionally challenged"... ?

BleedingOrange36

Nov 21, 2012
South Jersey
Maybe off-topic, does anyone else ever have panic attacks when you're forced to do something extremely uninteresting or tedious? I lost a job that way once.
So I'm not the only one....
It happened really badly today.... I'm stuck at one machine at work, replacing plates on the chain. There are 1427 plates with two bolts, washers and nuts per plate.... It was about 104 degrees and no fan. This is machine #2 this week already. On top of all that I am hunched over, my back is killing me and I had to stand still for close to 7 steady hours each day for the last three days.... Panic attacks don't even begin to describe the feeling I was getting..
I much rather be running the lather or mill, playing with the software on the vision systems I designed, welding, electronics, tweaking the security system, browsing the forums..... I hate sitting still... I love that I get to do a bunch if stuff where I'm at.

SouthWestPayDay

Jul 19, 2013
McKinney
I only made it through a few pages of the introductions forum, but I noticed that there are a few programmers out there. I program a little and am going to school to do more.

I was just wondering how many people there are who are:
1. Programmers
2. PV users
3. On this forum
4. Have ADD/ADHD

1. Not a programmer, but did teach myself HTML back in the day by printing out source code from websites and messing with the site till I knew what all the code meant. (Does that count?)
2. Yes
3. Also yes.
4. Have A.D.D./A.D.H.D. mixed in with a little bit of O.C.D. as a nice topper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread