Aspire CF VV battery dismantle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Raff

Oct 13, 2014
White Plains, NY
So my friend gave me one of his Aspire CF battery to try an fix for him. The battery will charge on the USB but does not turn on when clicking the button. Perhaps one of the wires inside disconnected. Has anyone here successfully removed the actual battery from inside these devices? I know they are not supposed to be opened but that does not mean it can't be done. My friend has another one of these batteries that still works and he also has a Siegeli 100 Watt box mod. So if I can not fix this battery or it breaks in the process of opening it is no big deal.
Any ideas of how to go about opening it up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should anyone not familiar with electronics and with the safety practices surrounding them take apart a lithium battery housing of any kind. I do not suggest working on batteries and if you do so it is entirely at your own risk. A catastrophic failure when working with lithium batteries can happen after you think it works, this may result in disfigurement or death. If you have no experience with volatile power cells or small electronics just throw it away!

Alright with that out of the way, I have taken apart several devices. I turn off the battery, five quick clicks, I take an old tank bottom without a tank on it and screw it onto the battery to protect the threads. Vise the the head of the battery on the thread protector and work it back and forth just until it starts to come up, following that, I pull out the head very carefully, wires will be attached, I don't want to break them off. Then I slide out the carrier and board from the head. I normally have to push the button to get the board out, it is critical that the device is off if it is not and the board is malfunctioning then the short causing the device to fail could transfer to the battery causing it to detonate, literally. This will get into the case. I have to be careful not to pull any wires off the board while doing this because they are tiny and connected to points throughout the device on small solder points that are easy to break.

After I find the problem, usually a mashed wire or a wire that has broken loose from the board or battery (other issues require advanced time with a multimeter to diagnose) I decide on what to do. If it is a battery lead that has come off of the power cell itself I discard it Everything else is just a matter of finding the issue and fixing it. I never use electrical tape or any insulation medium that can slip or is designed to be impermanent, I always solder never splice. I always use shrink conduit, hot glue or dipped plastic/rubber depending.

On devices with a bottom function, that is a charger board or adjustable voltage on the bottom of the device I use special care not to sever wires and to look for connections I am unaware of. I have had one battery with a flaw that shorted it out and it got very hot really fast, I was ready and dropped it into an empty ammunition storage box designed to take extreme heat and gas production on a concrete floor and moved away from it. It did not explode, that part is pure luck.

If electronics are a hobby for you and you have some skills and some space you may be able to fix your device but I make no promises and feel it is a far better idea for the vast majority of people to simply dispose of these devices when the device quits working, as they use an inherently unsafe power cell and are remarkably prone to critically failing at even the most minor persistent direct short.

izn986.jpg

That's not me, It was a cell phone in his pocket apparently, but it could be anyone that does not respect the safety needs of a high drain power cell. Please know your limits. Stay safe.

Joe Raff

Oct 13, 2014
White Plains, NY
I figured I should be using a vice if I am going to give it a try. Just an FYI I have taken apart 1 ego style battery before but it was a no name brand from a gas station that basically came apart on its own. I am experienced in electronics building laptops and desktops. I have worked on cell phones as well and understand the safety disclaimer. I have been enjoying this E-cig hobby since Feb. 2014. I may get around to trying to fix the battery but most likely it will be tossed into the trash since the owner of that battery has 2 others and a box mod so I would just basically be fixing it for experience. So I posted this just to see if anyone else has actually succeeded and what course they took.
Thanks for the comments and the safety precaution as well. I appreciate someone who puts safety first when working with electronics and I am glad to see another user on this forum that emphasizes the same.

I figured I should be using a vice if I am going to give it a try. Just an FYI I have taken apart 1 ego style battery before but it was a no name brand from a gas station that basically came apart on its own. I am experienced in electronics building laptops and desktops. I have worked on cell phones as well and understand the safety disclaimer. I have been enjoying this E-cig hobby since Feb. 2014. I may get around to trying to fix the battery but most likely it will be tossed into the trash since the owner of that battery has 2 others and a box mod so I would just basically be fixing it for experience. So I posted this just to see if anyone else has actually succeeded and what course they took.
Thanks for the comments and the safety precaution as well. I appreciate someone who puts safety first when working with electronics and I am glad to see another user on this forum that emphasizes the same.

You never know who's asking and I would hate to give advice that makes something sound simple and have it lead to an injury or a news story. There is enough false press or misleading information without us as a community adding to it by encouraging people to do things they may hurt themselves trying.

Normally though I have found that if there is no juice leaked into the device, it's a loose wire or a bad solder joint. Simple enough if all the criteria of my previous post are taken into account.

Be safe, and keep on vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread