Mod Style
  1. Box Mod
Retails for
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
Hi all!

I recently picked up an Aspire Zelos 50W, I have been using it at around 10.5W with salt Nix 4mg.

I have only used pen-type (i.e., Bloogs) previously but they never kept me off analogs for very long.

So far, the Aspire has been great, except for the increasing draw resistance. Within a day or two of a new coil, the draw resistance increases so much, and I feel like I'm getting less flavour.

I've tried rinsing out the coil which helps a little, but not much and not for long.

Is there anything I can do other than replace the coil every few days, or just accept it as part of the experience?

Last edited:

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
Zelos comes with different tanks with different coils. What you got? How much eliquid through till it gets hard to draw?

Thanks for the welcome!

The tank is the Nautilus 2 and I'm using the 1.8 ohm BVC coils. I have all the air holes open. The screen thingy says 1.90 ohms and 0.0 volts. The guys at the vape shop set it for me, but didn't have any suggestions about the draw resistance thing.

After 1-2 tanks of eliquid the draw becomes noticeably more difficult but I can still do direct to lung. After by 3-4 tanks, it is uncomfortable to try to draw and I start doing mouth to lung. By tank 5, I have to replace the coil. I prefer the experience at the very start. Maybe because I used to smoke superslims.

I go through about 3/4 to 1 tank a day. If I have to replace the coil every 4 days I can deal with it ($8 a week vs $42 for cigarettes... no contest there), but if there's a way to get more life out of them I would be thrilled.

I did look into making my own replacement coils with the wire and the cotton but it seems beyond my capabilities, and if I'm honest, my motivation for DIY.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Such a short time is most peculiar...

Now, I'm not the sort of person who likes to exaggerate coil life or even defend the factory coil market particularly (I use them, sure) but this isn't good enough.

I can only guess it's a liquid thing.

I also don't rate Aspire that much, but again, my feelings about them would be irrelevant to the discussion as the BVC coils are well proven.

(If over-priced and over-hyped by one of my least favourite make of e-cig products)

(Yup... basically Aspire are way too up themselves...)

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

If the juice you use has sweeteners and or is dark in color, the coils will get fouled up quicker than a more clear juice with little or no sweetener.

10.5 watts is a bit low for a Nautilus coil. That could be part of the problem.

If you want to save some money on coils, you could buy an Ego One V2 tank and a 5-pack of CLR coils. The coils are easy to rewick/rebuild. You just take the top off, pull the old wick out, pulse the coil to burn off the residue, rinse under water and put new cotton or Rayon in. They can be rewicked several times before the wire needs to be rebuilt.

CLR coil

CLR_head_03.jpg

Don't know where you live but here are some links to a US site that has the tanks and coils
Joyetech eGo ONE V2 Tank
Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank
Joyetech CLR Coils (5 pack)

Reactions: Miramooke

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thanks for the welcome!

The tank is the Nautilus 2 and I'm using the 1.8 ohm BVC coils. I have all the air holes open. The screen thingy says 1.90 ohms and 0.0 volts. The guys at the vape shop set it for me, but didn't have any suggestions about the draw resistance thing.

After 1-2 tanks of eliquid the draw becomes noticeably more difficult but I can still do direct to lung. After by 3-4 tanks, it is uncomfortable to try to draw and I start doing mouth to lung. By tank 5, I have to replace the coil. I prefer the experience at the very start. Maybe because I used to smoke superslims.

I go through about 3/4 to 1 tank a day. If I have to replace the coil every 4 days I can deal with it ($8 a week vs $42 for cigarettes... no contest there), but if there's a way to get more life out of them I would be thrilled.

I did look into making my own replacement coils with the wire and the cotton but it seems beyond my capabilities, and if I'm honest, my motivation for DIY.
    1.9ohms is fine, my Nautilus runs 2.0 usually. The voltage reading is fine also, it only displays when you push the button. If you look at the screen and flick the power while still looking, you'll see it then.

4 days isn't horrible for a factory coil. They go bad usually by a high VG content and high sweetener. For example, I use low VG and no sweetner and get a month from a coil.

Gl, and have fun!

Ps- to stretch the coil life, some rinse and soak in alcohol. Allow to dry well. It won't taste like new, but you may get a couple more days out of it for a little effort.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    I use an original nautilus with the 1.8 ohm bvc coil and i'm over 1 week on it, vaping about 3/4 tank per day also with 15mg liquid. No burn taste,dry hits or anything of the sort (exept maybe the nic high from time to time lol)
    i did heard nautilus series was much more aimed at mtl setups and less dtl (no idea if it's true but i do dtl sometimes with the 2nd biggest airhole on it)

no idea about Op's liquid but mine's a 50/50 mix burns very well at 12 watts

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Is there anything I can do other than replace the coil every few days, or just accept it as part of the experience?
    Welcome and glad you joined. I'm not a big fan of tanks and store bought coil wick combos. RDA's are my choice with flavor to kill for, your decision.
    Might like to read:
    Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
    2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
    (7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
    What is an Atomizer? E-Cig Terminology Simplified
    Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
    Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners

Miramooke

Jun 22, 2017
    Thanks everybody for your advice. My liquid is kind of a light honey colour, not that dark, 50/50 vg/pg. I still find I'm getting about 4 days before the draw and flavour starts to suck.

I tried the alcohol soak but I didn't find it helped much, and it was a hassle.

I guess for now I'll just swap out the coils when I want and not worry about it. If I could spend 6-7$ a day on smokes before, spending that per week is fine. Eventually I'll think about a new unit. There is only one good vape shop in my city and the aspire is what they recommended. I just went with it because I was overwhelmed by all the selection online.

Next time I'll come to you guys ;)

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Thanks everybody for your advice. My liquid is kind of a light honey colour, not that dark, 50/50 vg/pg. I still find I'm getting about 4 days before the draw and flavour starts to suck.

I tried the alcohol soak but I didn't find it helped much, and it was a hassle.

I guess for now I'll just swap out the coils when I want and not worry about it. If I could spend 6-7$ a day on smokes before, spending that per week is fine. Eventually I'll think about a new unit. There is only one good vape shop in my city and the aspire is what they recommended. I just went with it because I was overwhelmed by all the selection online.

Next time I'll come to you guys ;)

Yes... coils, they're not easy to get right.
    I use plug and play factory coils almost everyday and have learned that performance can vary massively between brands.
    I don't buy Aspire (too expensive in the UK) and order Joyetech and Eleaf coils from China.
    An e-cig coil that lasts a week costs me about the price of a quarter of 1 cigarette per day. Hardly expensive. Once you've got a few packs, the use of them becomes kind of auto-pilot.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yes this is a pretty small tank. Everything about sweetners and high VG is correct. To be honest, if you are trying DL with a 1.8 coil, you are going to gunk up your tank fairly fast. I had that problem with coils (I have to use Max VG, allergic to PG) so especially with my favorite flavor, (coco-- sweet and dark) my coils would gunk in 2 days. So, you could try the 0..7 coils (I use the exact same wattage, less airflow, so it vapes similarly to my 1.8 coil, and I burn through maybe a bit more juice, but I've had my 0.7 coil in there for almost a week, no issues. The other thing you can do, if you are a tightwad like me, is remove your gunked 1.8 coil and then soak it overnight, clean it out well (especially the center, maybe using a pipecleaner) then leave it to dry outside for 12 hours.... These coils can be reused several times.

That said, I'd recommend the 0.7 coil (your kit shoud have come with one) I have almost no gunking issues vaping almost the exact same way. There is more vapor if I take a longer, hard draw, and you can certainly up your wattage a bit if you want to, and see how you do with that. I think I burn through *slightly* more juice and definitely more battery power, but I really love the vape, it's clean and it tastes good consistently, not all gunky toward the end....

Good luck!

Anna

Reactions: r77r7r

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Yes, I can't like that coil enough, and I thought I'd hate it after my Cleto experience.... But that is a whole different animal. To extend coil life (either) you can clean out the very bottom of the tank with a q-tip, and even take the tank out an rinse it, if needed.

Sigh. I wish coco wasn't my favorite flavor but it is. Though I'm now vaping some custard I made-- pretty clear, not too sweet, but I used minimal amounts of flavoring.

Anna

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 9, 2017
    Yes, I can't like that coil enough, and I thought I'd hate it after my Cleto experience.... But that is a whole different animal. To extend coil life (either) you can clean out the very bottom of the tank with a q-tip, and even take the tank out an rinse it, if needed.

Sigh. I wish coco wasn't my favorite flavor but it is. Though I'm now vaping some custard I made-- pretty clear, not too sweet, but I used minimal amounts of flavoring.

Anna
    I've used one of those little dental brushes to (gently) scrub out the center of the coil.
    PeriProducts_Denti_Brush_Wire-free_Interdental_Brushes01_02.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread