Basic mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynsay Main

Mar 28, 2017
hi myself and my husband have been vaping for just over two years I have gone down to 0.6mg and he's on 1.2mg which we are both happy with. I've been trying to get costs down a bit was considering making my own juice but it looks a bit complicated, but I found a website union Vapes that I can get 5x 100ml for £45 but all in the one strength my question is could I add nicotine so that we could share 1 order to make sure it suits us or does anyone have any suggestions on here to buy it at this kind of price or better oin the UK Thanks you in advance x

Reactions: SteveS45

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @Lynsay Main

There are some easy peasy ways to make good but cheap liquids.

One-shots for the flavor and mix up a load of 12mg or 6mg. OR, use a calculator.

Time is running out though... Nicotine base liquid is going to be very expensive very soon.
Mixing in general is heading to a scary place.

Darkstar (UK) have some work-arounds with their 10ml nicotine shots.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Yes you could absolutely do that. First, do you really mean .6 and 1.2 milligrams (per milliliter, that is, even though it doesn't always say so), or do you perhaps mean .6 and 1.2 percent? They differ by an order of magnitude, so 1.2% is 12mg/ml, and .6% is 6mg/ml. I ask because the figures you gave, .6 and 1.2 milligrams, reflect an extremely tiny amount to use and would essentially be like using no nicotine at all. If that's what you mean then great, I just want to make sure you don't think you're getting one thing and end up with something else instead.

I don't know any particular vendors you could use since I'm in the US, but I know there are EU sources for DIY nicotine, because I know there are EU rules for how strong it can be. 72mg/ml (7.2% by volume) is the limit, and you'll probably want to buy it in that highest strength available, as it's the most cost-effective.

To determine the amount of nic base to add to your premixed liquid requires a little bit of math. There are tools out there than will do all this for you, but I don't recommend mixing e-juice if you don't know why you are using the amounts you are using. So let's do it the long way, this time. (Also, I'll presume you meant 6 and 12mg, not .6 and 1.2 -- if that's wrong, you can use this same method with those numbers to achieve the correct result).

So for starters, you get a 100ml bottle, at 6mg/ml that's 600mg total nicotine in the bottle.
You want to add "x-amount" in ml's, at a strength of 72mg/ml, or 72x in mg. Added to the initial 600, that's a total of 600+72x (in mg) in the bottle.
And when you're done, you want it such that the resulting liquid (100ml + x) has a strength of 12mg/ml. That means it will have a total of 12 * (100 + x) mg's of nicotine.

So now, we can make an equation. We know the amount of nicotine in the bottle after we add some, we put that on the left. We know the amount of nicotine we want in the bottle when we're done, we put that on the right. And, we want these two (the amount we have when we're done, and the amount we want when we're done) to be the same thing, and so we put an equals in the middle. All said and done, that looks like this:

600 + 72x = 12 * (100+x)
600 + 72x = 1200 + 12x
600 - 600 + 72x = 1200 - 600 + 12x
0 + 72x = 600 + 12x
72x = 600 + 12x
72x - 12x = 600 + 12x - 12x
60x = 600 + 0
60x = 600
60x / 60 = 600 / 60
x = 10

So you'll want to add 10 (ml) of 72mg nicotine. Great, we're done here, right? No, let's check our work first:

10ml at 72mg/ml adds 720mg to the bottle, which already contained 600mg. 600 + 720 = 1320mg total nicotine in the bottle, after mixing.
10ml added to 100ml gives 110ml total volume, after mixing.

1320mg / 110ml = 12mg/ml, which is what we wanted, so now we can be done. Handy that it's a nice round number like that.

It gets easier once you've done it a few times.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
hi myself and my husband have been vaping for just over two years I have gone down to 0.6mg and he's on 1.2mg which we are both happy with. I've been trying to get costs down a bit was considering making my own juice but it looks a bit complicated, but I found a website union Vapes that I can get 5x 100ml for £45 but all in the one strength my question is could I add nicotine so that we could share 1 order to make sure it suits us or does anyone have any suggestions on here to buy it at this kind of price or better oin the UK Thanks you in advance x

Welcome @Lynsay Main and I hope you enjoy your stay!

The answer to your question is YES you can add nicotine just use a calculator to figure out how you need to add. Although you will dilute the mixture a slight amount you might find it tastes even better with a little more nicotine. Here is an Online calculator that does not require installing.

Do It Yourself E-Liquid (E-Juice) Recipe Mixing Station!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. If I hear you, your looking for a quick simple way of mixing your own e-liquid without having to spend a lot of time learning everything to start out. Below should point you in the right direction:
Mixing is Easy (DIY E-liquid Tips)
http://ejuicemakers.com/diy-e-juice-resources/
But whatever you do, please do not order flavors blindly. Please select 3, or as many recipes you think you might mix, and order only those flavors for those recipes.
Nic is expensive and a PITA, I'm at zero nic through mixing.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
whatever you do, please do not order flavors blindly. Please select 3, or as many recipes you think you might mix, and order only those flavors for those recipes.
While not a bad idea to start with a few proven recipes, that doesn't preclude you from buying additional flavors at the same time and experimenting with some combinations of your own. Just don't expect to make a winner on your first try.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
It can be as easy or as complex as you want to make it. Someone suggested one shots, which are as easy as it can get. Up front costs are a little more but your long term savings can be huge. Mixing by weight is easy. Here is a link to a tutorial post in the DIY liquid forum Mixing By Weight: Basics 101
Enyawrecklaw concentrates are excellent all in one concentrates that I know are available in the U.K. I've tried Rhodonite and Stacio-RY4U and both are easily all day vapes for me. YouTube also has some good tutorials just search for mixing ejuice for beginners. Good luck and have fun!

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
This is a flavoring vendor that carries enyawrecklaw and other one shots in the U.K. DIY or DIE - Chefs Flavours Ltd I'm afraid I can't help on the U.K. Nicotine front as I'm in the US. PG and VG should be easy enough to find with a google search.

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
This is a flavoring vendor that carries enyawrecklaw and other one shots in the U.K. DIY or DIE - Chefs Flavours Ltd I'm afraid I can't help on the U.K. Nicotine front as I'm in the US. PG and VG should be easy enough to find with a google search.
Chefs is the place for one-shots. DIY or DIE (enyawreklaw) or Chefs own blends. Other than 'Boardwalk' Chefs are my preferred.

Reactions: RainSong
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread