New member mixing advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizmart

Jan 24, 2021
Hi thank you for allowing me to join,

Ive been vaping for around two years now and ive always bought my vape ready mixed recently the supplier i have used will only accept bitcoin so i thought it was time to start mixing my own but getting confused with a few things,

I usually buy this
Code:
https://smash-eliquid.com/e-juices/tobaccos/golden-tobacco-e-liquid/
70%PG 30%VG 9mg in a 1 litre bottle.

What would i need to buy to make it myself please i have found a ready mixed 70%PG 30%VG
And
100ml 7.2% (72mg) USP/EP Grade Nicotine* Base PG/VG

From my calculations mixing the 1ltr of 70/30 base mix and the 100ml of nicotine would give me a strength of just over 7mg or am i missing something any advice appreciated.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It would be a bit under 7 mg/ml - 6.5, actually. You probably forgot to add the extra 100 ml of juice you'd have after adding the nicotine base (nicotine base = the high-strength nicotine you use when mixing). You're in good company as it's a common mistake.

To get a litre of unflavoured PG/VG up to 9 mg/ml, you'd need to add 142.9 ml of 72 mg/ml base (and you'd wind up with 1.14 litres of unflavoured ejuice.

Which leads me to the main thing you've overlooked: flavour. The tobacco flavour has to be added separately - it doesn't come from the nicotine.

Trying to recreate a particular flavour is pretty difficult. However, there are a lot of tobacco flavours and flavour recipes around, so if you're open to finding something new you should be able to come up with something that appeals to you.

I'd recommend looking around our DIY subforum a bit before you start. They're very friendly there and always glad to help newbies find the ropes.

Reactions: lizmart

lizmart

Jan 24, 2021
It would be a bit under 7 mg/ml - 6.5, actually. You probably forgot to add the extra 100 ml of juice you'd have after adding the nicotine base (nicotine base = the high-strength nicotine you use when mixing). You're in good company as it's a common mistake.

To get a litre of unflavoured PG/VG up to 9 mg/ml, you'd need to add 142.9 ml of 72 mg/ml base (and you'd wind up with 1.14 litres of unflavoured ejuice.

Which leads me to the main thing you've overlooked: flavour. The tobacco flavour has to be added separately - it doesn't come from the nicotine.

Trying to recreate a particular flavour is pretty difficult. However, there are a lot of tobacco flavours and flavour recipes around, so if you're open to finding something new you should be able to come up with something that appeals to you.

I'd recommend looking around our DIY subforum a bit before you start. They're very friendly there and always glad to help newbies find the ropes.

Many thanks for the reply, yes i realised i need to remove 100ml from the base mix but i want to reduce the strength so 6.5 would be fine as long as i am in ball park and cant kill myself lol,

I never realised i needed a flavoring i just presumed that would be in the nicotine so basically all i need now is a flavoring to add to the above mix and i am good to go,

Could you point me to flavorings that might be suitable to duplicate the mix listed in the link please i totally understand they might taste different also is there a ratio for mixing the flavor in to the rest of the mix many thanks for your help.

lizmart

Jan 24, 2021
Hi again ive had a google regarding ratio for flavoring and it varies regarding taste and product 6/10% on most ive seen i think ive found a flavoring that is suitable,

Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RY4-Tobacco-Concentrated-Flavour-Concentrate-for-DIY-E-Liquid-Mixing/233128292569?hash=item36478770d9:g:hcYAAOSwlflcYArJ

Another question please i see nicotine and flavorings come in PG/VG do you need to mix both the same or can you miss match IE mix nicotine VG with PG flavoring also what difference does it make.

Reactions: FranC

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Hi again ive had a google regarding ratio for flavoring and it varies regarding taste and product 6/10% on most ive seen i think ive found a flavoring that is suitable,

Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RY4-Tobacco-Concentrated-Flavour-Concentrate-for-DIY-E-Liquid-Mixing/233128292569?hash=item36478770d9:g:hcYAAOSwlflcYArJ

Another question please i see nicotine and flavorings come in PG/VG do you need to mix both the same or can you miss match IE mix nicotine VG with PG flavoring also what difference does it make.
    Vg is very thick and pg thin. You can start with 50/50. Adding nic and flavors will change that some but I’m not that fussy.

lizmart

Jan 24, 2021
    Vg is very thick and pg thin. You can start with 50/50. Adding nic and flavors will change that some but I’m not that fussy.

Many thanks ive done some searching on ebay and found 1 LTR 50/50 base mix with 6mg of nicotine
    vvvvvvv.PNG

And ive also found this flavoring its a 90ML bottle and says add 6/8%

vvpp.PNG

Attachments

• cccccccpppp.PNG
      cccccccpppp.PNG
      46 KB · Views: 16
    Last edited:
    Reactions: smacuser

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Like you I used to use Smash ( formerly Blue Star ) but when I went in to check prices earlier this month I discovered the BitCoin thing and frankly wouldn't know how to do it, and if I did couldn't be bothered.

My alternative UK supplier is 88 Vape who do do bulk deals and free postage and are based in the Midlands.

lizmart

Jan 24, 2021
    Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Like you I used to use Smash ( formerly Blue Star ) but when I went in to check prices earlier this month I discovered the BitCoin thing and frankly wouldn't know how to do it, and if I did couldn't be bothered.

My alternative UK supplier is 88 Vape who do do bulk deals and free postage and are based in the Midlands.

Thanks for the welcome and information,

Ive got my head around making it myself now and been able to buy the base and nicotine already mixed all i need to do is add the flavoring of my choice, 1 ltr from smash cost me £54 now a 1Ltr cost £42

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    Thanks for the welcome and information,

Ive got my head around making it myself now and been able to buy the base and nicotine already mixed all i need to do is add the flavoring of my choice, 1 ltr from smash cost me £54 now a 1Ltr cost £42

Yes I got lazy after I discovered these two suppliers about three years and of course TPD stopped me getting 32 strength nic liquid, so I stopped making my own liquid - maybe time for me to start again too ... trouble is I'm happy as Tootle Puffer using 16 strngth liquid at 8 watts with + I Ohm coils.

• Agree

lizmart

Jan 24, 2021
    Yes I got lazy after I discovered these two suppliers about three years and of course TPD stopped me getting 32 strength nic liquid, so I stopped making my own liquid - maybe time for me to start again too ... trouble is I'm happy as Tootle Puffer using 16 strngth liquid at 8 watts with + I Ohm coils.

1Ltr last me and the wife six months so it wont be much hassle for me.

Reactions: Falconeer

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Ive got my head around making it myself now and been able to buy the base and nicotine already mixed all i need to do is add the flavoring of my choice,
    1Ltr last me and the wife six months so it wont be much hassle for me.
    I'm down to about 100 or so mls of a PG/VG/nic pre-mix that I sometimes add flavor to. A few months ago I dug out the liter of 100 mg/ml nic from my freezer in the laundry room only to discover another bottle (about 130mls or so) of pre-mix that I had. A liter (whether pre-mixed, wholly DIYed, flavored or unflavored) lasts me about 2 years..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread