Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

madangus

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2015
Chicago-land
People generally recommend samsung 25rs, lg he2/he3, and there is a panasonic or 2 also. Most of them are 20amp though. illumn.com have been getting the sony vtc 3 back in stock regularly though. I guess sony moved manufacturing plants around...

To risk stating the obvious check continuous amp load - ignore 'pulse' and other dubious stats and stick with sony/samsung/lg/panasonic. Anything with fire or fest in the name is just a rewrap of someone elses they didn't feel selling as their own

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Samsung 25R, LG HE2 and HE4 when it comes down to 20amp CDR, with the Samsung 25R being a popular strong runner.
Sony VTC3 and VTC4, as well as the LG HB6 are your 30amp CDR choices at the moment

MXJO
Imren
Efest Purple
and several others are out there with Amp Specs of 35 on up to 40amp printed on the battery wrapper, sadly these are most times as stated above re-wrap of another 20amp CDR battery already listed

RTDVapor
Illumn.com
Orbtronics
These will be your best places to look for authentic batteries.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey guys
    Recently started vaping and was wondering whats a good replacement for VTC5 batteries
    Thanks a million guys.

It depends on what your coil resistances are (if using a mechanical mod) or what power levels you vape at (if using a regulated mod). As mentioned above, the VTC5 has been labeled a 30A battery by many people but it's really only 20A. Not sure then if you need a replacement battery that can handle 20A or 30A.

You've gotten some great recommendations. Mine are...
    Up to 20A = LG HG2
    Around 20A = Samsung 25R
    Over 20A, up to 30A = Sony VTC4
    30A and higher = LG HB6

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    I use the eFest IMR18650 2800mah 3.7v 35A. Great batteries never had a problem with them.

Just remember and be careful, that 35amp label is a Pulse Discharge Rating, not a Sustainable Continuous Discharge Rating, which the CDR on those are 20amp CDR.

My battery says different.
    image.jpg

R3fini

Nov 3, 2014
    Quebec
    My battery says different. View attachment 485438
    Just remember and be careful, that 35amp label is a Pulse Discharge Rating, not a Sustainable Continuous Discharge Rating, which the CDR on those are 20amp CDR.

It should be take into consideration that no cell manufacturer have ever rated their batteries for a use over 20A . Efest wrap these batteries and rate them for ''80 Amps pulse''. whether or not all these re-rated specs (talking for every brand right here) are real is up to faith really so they should be taken with a grain of salt. I personnaly used Efests in mech mods for over a year and a half and I'm am well satisfied of their. I had issues with autofiring on my stingray and I must say I am thoroughly impressed how they still lives after the stress they have been put into.

That said I now use He4s just for the extra safety in mind. Anyway the way I understand it, You really have to build below the .2 ohm in order to pull over the 20Amps. I just do not recommend to go below .2 ohm exeption made for temp resistance coils. Going below .3 ohms to me is the realm of dry hits and you don't really get much more flavor/vapor from your investment.I'm pretty sure all reputed brand of batteries would do just as nicely in pair inside todays regulated devices. Might be wrong on 200 watts mods though.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    My battery says different. View attachment 485438

There is no such thing as a 35a 18650 battery! But there are more than enough vendors/suppliers that would like you to believe that there are.
    They could print their wrappers to say that they're 100 amp batteries, but the cell would still be whatever is under their wrapper.

add:
    You might find it interesting that Sony does not state the CDR of their batteries. Instead they state that the specifications of VTC cells are those specified by the company that they are being produced for.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baditude
    Just curious but how do you know that there is no such thing? eFest is a highly reputable company and don't know why they would intentionally over rate there product.
    There is no such thing as a 35a 18650 battery! But there are more than enough vendors/suppliers that would like you to believe that there are.
    They could print their wrappers to say that they're 100 amp batteries, but the cell would still be whatever is under their wrapper.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Just curious but how do you know that there is no such thing? eFest is a highly reputable company and don't know why they would intentionally over rate there product.

Several people here and on other forums test, extensively claims of what a battery is capable of.

Examples of such testing from @Mooch 's blogs here ->

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

LeakyCarto

Moved On
    Aug 30, 2015
    SmallTown
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Multiple identities are not permitted on ECF

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

eFest does not make batteries .... they rewrap batteries.
    eFest has ALWAYS over rated their batteries. They have ALWAYS been the biggest offender!
    The trick with eFest batteries is to identify what cell is actually under their wrappers. You will fine that in many cases they are just using "B Bin" cells of quality batteries.
    ie: Samsung or LG and the like.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    That blog post shows no legitimate factual information or testing but thanks for the heads up.
    I assure you, the information that is there is factual. I have been testing cells for over 20 years and Efest is one of the worst offenders when it comes to exaggerated ratings claims. Did you scroll down that link? That blog does show testing, for almost 40 batteries, including two Efests.

Efest 38A 2100mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...an ok 20A cell, no higher | E-Cigarette Forum

Efest 35A 2800mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a 20A/2300mAh battery | E-Cigarette Forum

The 38A/2100mAh cell is really only 20A. At 30A its temperature had risen to almost 100°C, an extraordinarily high temperature and clear evidence that the rating is not 38A. In addition, at only 30A, the voltage quickly drops to less than 3.1V, rendering it essentially useless at 30A.

The 35A/2800mAh is also really just a 20A cell. At 25A its temperature was near 100°C. At 25A its voltage quickly dropped below 3.2V, also rendering it essentially useless for vaping.

Check the discharge tests of any battery reviewer on the Web and you will find similar results. I don't think you will find an Efest cell that lived up to it ratings.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

Efest has one of the worst reputations in the industry. Why would they overrate a battery? Simple, it sells more batteries. If pressed on this issue they can just say, "Oh, that's the pulse rating", which is a useless spec and allows them to print anything on the label they want.

They don't rewrap terrible batteries from what I can see. But, they must be thinking that putting the continuous current rating on the label wouldn't sell batteries. Not when the equivalent one, from the companies that actually make the battery; Panasonic, Sony, LG, and Samsung, can be bought at a lower price,

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread