Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The very first IMR battery I bought was an 18650 2500 35 amp Purple Efest. This was before I joined ECF and was completely uneducated about batteries. I can clearly remember my thought process: I liked the wrapper/branding, it said 35 amps which was a higher number than the others I was looking at, and it was slightly more expensive (surely a sign of quality).
I had to splode that battery....

Efest's name is dirt amongst the informed, after repeatedly and consistently misleading buyers with their labeling. Fact.
A bit of light googling will reveal that Mooch isn't the only independent tester of batteries, he is however part of the ECF family who's testing I trust implicitly.
Call me old fashioned, but when someone puts in hard unpaid graft to help me to not get injured, that makes them a bit of a hero in my books. Thanks Mooch

Last edited:

RH7

Aug 24, 2015
I have just purchased my first mod which is an IPV D2 and got a free 2400 mah battery (LG i think). However, I want to get a battery that lasts longer and my only "knowledge" of batteries are that the higher the mah the longer it lasts (From what I've read here that isn't necessarily the case)

I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a battery that can last a substantial amount of time (at least a day).

I usually vape at around 18-22 watts and sometimes go higher to around 35 watts. I apologize in advance if my question has already been answered but I am a real physics idiot and have not been able to understand the mah-CDR-5A-10A charts that I've come across.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I have just purchased my first mod which is an IPV D2 and got a free 2400 mah battery (LG i think). However, I want to get a battery that lasts longer and my only "knowledge" of batteries are that the higher the mah the longer it lasts (From what I've read here that isn't necessarily the case)

I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a battery that can last a substantial amount of time (at least a day).

I usually vape at around 18-22 watts and sometimes go higher to around 35 watts. I apologize in advance if my question has already been answered but I am a real physics idiot and have not been able to understand the mah-CDR-5A-10A charts that I've come across.

At those power levels, and up to about 60W, you can use the 3000mAh LG HG2 battery. I don't know how long it will last you before needing charging but it's the highest capacity (mAh) battery you can get to use at 18W-35W.

RH7

Aug 24, 2015
    At those power levels, and up to about 60W, you can use the 3000mAh LG HG2 battery. I don't know how long it will last you before needing charging but it's the highest capacity (mAh) battery you can get to use at 18W-35W.

Gee..That was quick! Thanks @Mooch.

What batteries are suited for mods such as the ipv d2 e.g. Protected, button top, flat top

As my device is a 75 watt device, would you say that the same 3000mAh LG HG2 battery would perform best?

Lastly, what about these batteries?
    1. Panasonic NCR18650B 18650 3400mAh
    2. LG MJ1 18650 3500mAh 10A
    3. Panasonic NCR18650A 3.7V 3100mAh
    4. Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh 3.7V
    Panasonic NCR18650GA 10A 3300mAh

Would they perform better or worse than the LG you recommended?

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Gee..That was quick! Thanks @Mooch.

What batteries are suited for mods such as the ipv d2 e.g. Protected, button top, flat top

As my device is a 75 watt device, would you say that the same 3000mAh LG HG2 battery would perform best?

Lastly, what about these batteries?
    1. Panasonic NCR18650B 18650 3400mAh
    2. LG MJ1 18650 3500mAh 10A
    3. Panasonic NCR18650A 3.7V 3100mAh
    4. Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh 3.7V
    Panasonic NCR18650GA 10A 3300mAh

Would they perform better or worse than the LG you recommended?

You're welcome, my pleasure. :)

For regulated mods you want an unprotected, flat-top battery with a current rating high enough for the wattage you will be using. The HG2 will last the longest in your IPV D2. Some other batteries will run at a lower temperature than the HG2 but I don't know if you would consider that as being the best. :) Just don't go over 60W because the HG2 is only a 20A battery. If you want to go to 75W you will need a higher-current battery like the 30A Sony VTC4.

All five of those high-capacity batteries you listed are rated at 10A or less. A regulated mod draws current, worst case, equal to the max wattage divided by the lowest battery voltage it can operate at, usually 3.2V or higher. For your IPV D2 that equals 75W / 3.2V = 23.4A max. It would be a very bad idea to use a 10A battery at that current level.

But what if you stick to 35W and under? Would those batteries be OK? Let's find out....35W / 3.2V = 10.9A. Nope. :-(

If you never exceeded that 18W figure you mentioned then some of the batteries on that list could work. But, at 10A the HG2 outperformed all those batteries, even though the HG2 is only rated at 3000mAh. If you wanted to fry some neurons, here's my post with the results of a test with most of those batteries and the HG2.

High Capacity Battery Shootout at 10A -- Bench Test Results...surprising winners! | E-Cigarette Forum

The results show that a higher current rated battery, with lower capacity, can still beat a higher capacity battery. I just can't think of a better battery for the wattages you'll be vaping at than the HG2. :)

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Thanks a bunch @Mooch!

You've convinced me that the HG2 is the way to go. Any websites you can recommend that ships internationally? I tried a couple mentioned in this thread such a IMR and Battery Bro and neither of them ship outside USA. I saw FT does though. Reliable enough?

Maybe try Illumination Supply or RTDVapor or even Orbtronics.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    I personally love Efest 2500 mah, or Samsung 25R. Efest are best for mech mods, since they output maximum power with the first use. 25R has consistent output, which is good on mech mods as well, but not as powerful as Efest. You might also look how much amps it outputs. It usually states on the batteries.

Watch out on those Efest Purples, they are re-wraps of other name brands like the Samsung 25R and LG HE2/HE4, not 35 or 38amp like they are labelled, they are 20amp, Mooch has on his blog several batteries tested and both Purple Efests proved to be 20amp max CDR, the labelling is their pulse burst rating, not the CDR.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks a bunch @Mooch!

You've convinced me that the HG2 is the way to go. Any websites you can recommend that ships internationally? I tried a couple mentioned in this thread such a IMR and Battery Bro and neither of them ship outside USA. I saw FT does though. Reliable enough?

If FT says they are authentic, they probably are. I've never gotten batteries from them though. Hopefully, one of the vendors that @IMFire3605 listed will ship to you.

Reactions: inspects

inspects

Squonkamaniac
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 15, 2014
    Arizona, Ecuador
    I assure you, the information that is there is factual. I have been testing cells for over 20 years and Efest is one of the worst offenders when it comes to exaggerated ratings claims. Did you scroll down that link? That blog does show testing, for almost 40 batteries, including two Efests.

Efest 38A 2100mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...an ok 20A cell, no higher | E-Cigarette Forum

Efest 35A 2800mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a 20A/2300mAh battery | E-Cigarette Forum

The 38A/2100mAh cell is really only 20A. At 30A its temperature had risen to almost 100°C, an extraordinarily high temperature and clear evidence that the rating is not 38A. In addition, at only 30A, the voltage quickly drops to less than 3.1V, rendering it essentially useless at 30A.

The 35A/2800mAh is also really just a 20A cell. At 25A its temperature was near 100°C. At 25A its voltage quickly dropped below 3.2V, also rendering it essentially useless for vaping.

Check the discharge tests of any battery reviewer on the Web and you will find similar results. I don't think you will find an Efest cell that lived up to it ratings.

Mooch, just read your newest thread, including the test result doc. attached.

All I wanted to say is thank you for the time spent performing the tests. Hopefully many many folks will heed these important warnings and vital information.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Just curious but how do you know that there is no such thing? eFest is a highly reputable company and don't know why they would intentionally over rate there product.

That blog post shows no legitimate factual information or testing but thanks for the heads up.
    Purple Efest Batteries: Not As Advertised

I haz a sad. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. :(

Efest and roughly half of the manufactuer/suppliers in the battery industry can be considered disreputable. It's a dog eat dog industry and extremely competitive for a niche of the market.

Half resort to false advertizing claims of unrealistic battery specifications to gain an edge on paper over their more honest competition. The vast majority of those don't even make their own cells, but merely relabel the batteries they buy from LG, Sony, Panasonic,or Samsung. And those are second or third tier cells because the original makers are selling their first tier under their own name.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    Unfortunately not shipping to where I live.. Not even FT :(
    Try these:
    If they don't ship to SG the only other option I am aware of is to look at purchasing from a China Distributor directly (similar to Fastech): Focalcig, Angelcigs, Gearbest.

You will have to check to see if any of these distributors ship to SG.

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2013
    Blue Rapids, KS, US
    Quick question.

I've got an x cube 2 and some 26ga titanium wire coming, at the moment I have some LG HG2 batteries, I usually use rta's like the Taifun GT 2 and the Squape RS (clones).

Will those batteries be okay for titanium wire? I've been building with kanthal for a few months but this will be my first venture into TC.

Yes, should be good, believe they are 20amp batteries, be good up to about 60 to 75watts output, 65plus I'd look at the LG HB6 and Sony VTC4 which are 30amp CDR, 100watt plus you need 2x batteries in series to push more volts. Wattage/3 = Amps you need is a good formula to use to decide on a battery for a mod.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread