best 5v mini usb pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

codfish124

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Lakewood Co USA
I picked one of these up today, but I think it's bad. It doesn't have a charge, and when I connect it to the USB, the blue light gives a brief flash, and then turns off.

you need to charge it. just so you know almost 100% of rechargeable batteries need to have a charge befor you use them. i know you don't get a long time out of the mod you did with the Lemar that probably because if you use a battery that just has the manufacture charge in it it will rune it. they charge them to last on the shelf read instruction it always says to five a full charge.

on this one when the blue light is off that means it charged.

Guitarslinger

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Central Illinois
Ok-thought about this and decided to try a different approach-since I was getting 5.1 v out of the old usb connections, I figured that was lowering the current to the atty, so I hooked directly to the battery (which was around 4.2 v if I remember-must be pre boost) and then tried again-works now with a 901 just with the battery, tho it still doesnt have that "instant" heat up you get with a larger mA battery, ofc. Through the wire, it does vape pretty good-as cod said, no burnt juice, etc. IMO I prefer the lower voltages-better taste, less drain on the batts, wear and tear on the attys-. Thinking I'm gonna stick to around 3.7 v on my future mods (I'll keep a couple high voltage ones when I need that power hit in the morning, lol) and go for endurance (2 3.7 v in parallel more than likely. Anyway, it's a cool little mod, codfish-I'm sure someones gonna come up with something else for it as well, as soon as they burn out :evil:

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
you need to charge it. just so you know almost 100% of rechargeable batteries need to have a charge befor you use them. i know you don't get a long time out of the mod you did with the Lemar that probably because if you use a battery that just has the manufacture charge in it it will rune it. they charge them to last on the shelf read instruction it always says to five a full charge.

on this one when the blue light is off that means it charged.
No, I just got a bad unit. Like I said, the light flashed, then immediately went off, and the unit didn't provide power. I went and exchanged it today, and the new one is charging properly.

Also, that whole "charge fully before using" info isn't true for Li-Po batteries. The issue with the other mod was apparently that I vaporize a whole lot more than you do. It lasts the whole work day, with me sneaking hits here and there, but at home, it only lasts about an hour, because I'm using it pretty much nonstop.

I just cut off the obvious front part of the address along with the dotjpg at the end

Here you go.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
I just cut off the obvious front part of the address along with the dotjpg at the end

That's really cool. Good job!

att819045.jpg

gmojo

Oct 21, 2009
Thanks for the help for a new poster boondogle. Thanks for the compliment joker.

I separated the battery and soldered in slightly longer wires for it so i could fit the gutted digipower in there. removed the male usb to slim down the profile, wired my switched atty off the leftover spots. Carved out a spot for the female usb on the side for charging.

Split the soft plastic skull along the "ears" to get it all in there. Board is in line with the usb, battery flat across the top, rca and switch on the back piece. I got it all in there, making sure nothing could short out. ran it for a week with a zip tie holding it closed in case I needed to fix any mistakes. Once i was satisfied everything was good I anchored everything in place with hot glue and sealed it up with the same.

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Happy to help, gmojo.

On a different note, I'm going to try using the board from the DigiPower, but with a bigger battery. I just moved, so instead of throwing out all the old gadgets and miscellaneous electronic junk I had piling up, I tossed it in a box. I went through it to see what goodies I could find, and came up with a few potentially useful batteries:

img0010bj.jpg

The one on the bottom left is the one I'm pretty excited about. It's a 1300 mAh li-po from a fried Palm Tungsten T5. I have another one that I didn't open up yet. It's a really nice size (37.28mm x 58.46mm x 5.27mm). A tight fit in a 4xAAA case, but I'm thinking that a 3xAA case would be just perfect. Waiting for those to arrive from BatterySpace. Once that comes in, I'll give it a shot.

gmojo

Oct 21, 2009
Good timing again. I was pulling apart an old flip phone last night and was wondering about using this charger for that battery. My first non-passthrough mod was shoving the Lenmar charge pack from radshack into a case hanging around work, makes it look alot like a flip phone.

I haven't had time to search through these threads to see if anyone powers a different battery off one of these charger boards.

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
Beats me. It's definitely a soft flat pack, with no metal casing. I don't think you can do that with a li-ion.

Here's the quote..

Rechargeable Battery 1300 mAH Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery

Here's the page its from, it's listed under Specifications.

Palm Support : Palm Tungsten T5 - Learn

That being said, I'm not sure that you couldn't use it. I really don't know the difference between the charging of this pack versus what is installed by default. I have been thinking about using 2 14500's in parallel with this to see if it will charge them and run at 5v. Gotta pick up a 4xAA box and a load of courage to try.:)

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
Hmm. I'm at work right now, so I'm posting from my cell phone. I'll double check this when I get home, but I think the battery is sometimes listed as a lithium ion polymer battery, and sometimes as a lithium ion. Physically, it definitely appears to be a li-po, not a li-ion. Also, I believe the two I have were early models that were recalled due to static discharge problems in the dock connector. Maybe they switched at some point? Anyway, it'll have to remain a mystery until I can look into it in more detail.

On the topic of charging two batteries at once, I'm pretty sure that's not safe. I've heard that creates a good chance of overcharge or undercharge, which can lead to fires or explosions. You might want to do some research on that before proceeding.

opuscroakus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Angelo, Tx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread