The solderless USB pass through

Status
Not open for further replies.

entropic

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
So today, I pulled the metal cap off one of my battery with the intention to glue it back on and acidently broke the wires. So I tried to fix it and managed to blow up the battery, down to one I knew I was screwed, what can I do when my one remaining batt is out of charge? - Not vape? - screw that. So me and my friend (MarcE) chatted on msn and worked out this.

What you need (you can tell how technical I am by this):

Some electrical tape
A pen knife
An old usb cable
A working atomizer.
A broke battery

What do do:
(1) get the end of a broken battery (the bit which screws into the atomizer) if you cant get it off the battery then screw your atomizer to it and then wiggle it around until it comes lose alternatively get a cork screw and wind it down a little and pull hard. Now ditch the wires so the metal cap is independent and wire free.

(2) cut the output end off the usb cable (the one that doesn't go in your pc)

(3) strip the outer plastic off the USB cable from the end you've just cut, now they're filled with tinfoil so this can be a pain but you can pull it down and tear it.

(4) Separate out the wires - you need Red and Black - ditch the green and white.

(5) Cut about two inches of wire off the Red and Black

(6) Strip both ends of the two inch lengths of wire (I used my teeth the penknife was too blunt)

(7) Pass the exposed black one through the hole in the middle of the battery cap and ball up the exposed wire carefully making sure that it doesn't touch anything but the inner ring unless you don't like your pc much.

(8) now jam the red wire in to the the threading of the battery cap and screw it up so that the exposed portion is touching the threading of the atomizer.

(9) Electrical tape up any exposed wiring that's left to minimise the chance of a short.

(10) Strip the red and black wires from the usb cable just a bit to expose the wire.

(11) Twist the two red wires together and electrical tape again

(12) Optional - tape the black wire from the usb cable to your desk

(13) Plug the usb into your pc

(14) Make sure your atomizer is plenty juiced (don't want it drying out).

(15) Put it in your mouth touch the two black wires together and vape, only hold them as along as you want the atomizer on.

Special thanks to MarcE for all his help with this, according to the research I read the other day on here said nicotine helps with memory - so a day without nicotine is a day with less memory - you may as well be dead.

Also neither me or MarcE are responsible for you exploding: your atomizer, your usb ports, your computer or yourself.

Attachments

• 07042009286.jpg
    07042009286.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 339
  • 07042009287.jpg
    07042009287.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 07042009288.jpg
    07042009288.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 07042009289.jpg
    07042009289.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
This is a true master piece of bodge job engineering! Good Work! Proper job my ansom!

In all seriousness tho, its lucky ur atomizer wasn't the thing that packed up, im not sure what we would have done then to get somthing rigged up! Gas hob, Glass jar and a Straw maybe?

Always remember, keep spares else this could happen to you!!

Last edited:

entropic

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
no battery cap just the atomizer? same principle but blue tac the wire into the middle hole and the same on the outside, you're gonna have to be very careful to not touch the connections else it will short your usb. Hopefully the blue tac should stop them touching but I wouldn't like to guarantee. Risking an atomizer for the cost of a new battery is probably not ideal, I'm only using mine until my e-cigs order comes :)

Boomer

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
The USB output is 5v, but the batteries for the 901 are 3.7. Has anyone had issues with this burning out the atomizers?

I have not done one myself but have not read of anybody burning one out, i think if you were to run dry though it would burn out a lot quicker.

What about the USB Passthru's you can buy from manufacturer do they have a circuit to drop the voltage down or are they just straight thru from the USB?
If they run at 5v then im sure they must not be too bad for atomisers or they would not make them and risk replacing them all lol. Or maybe the USB Pass Thru's you buy come with a disclaimer? I dont know but i would be interested to find out aswell as im thinking of making a Pass Thru for my PiLOT.

Cheers Lee.

entropic

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
mines still running 4 days on, I use it when I'm sitting by the PC just to save on batt power. I've burned out other atomizers by plugging in the wrong voltage power adaptors but this seems fine. I will tell you it does get red hot super quick and there was the incident where I accidentally brushed the wires to connection and didn't realise til I smelled burning I just changed out the cart and dripped plenty of juice on the atomizer and it worked fine.

I think the key is to keep the atomizer plenty juiced to avoid it drying out.

mottlycrw

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Wisconsin
Anyone have a connector that will work for this without having to use an old battery? something that would fit an 801 or 901 that could be picked up for cheap?

I found this on another thread. A perfect fit for an 801.

a Radio Shack part for $3.29

go to radio shack website and look up part# 274-1583

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread