Status
Not open for further replies.

juskiddin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2015
Canada
Hi GeriLee and welcome!

That's a tough question with many answers.

I'm a newbie as well and asked the same question. There is a wealth of knowledgeable folks here who I know will reply to your query. You've landed in the right spot!

What device(s) you get depends on so many things...

- are you a smoker? Trying to quit?
- are you a mouth-to-lung kind of person or a lung-hitter?
- do you want a grab-and-go type of device?
- interested in building your own coils etc?

I personally bought an ego ONE and now have 2...one for backup - always :) While they've been fine for me you may want something different.

I'd suggest doing a search in this site for "beginner set-ups"...a good place to start.

I'm sure others will chime in soon. In the meantime, welcome! Lots of awesome people here. I know you'll enjoy yourself.

Cheers

BlackVaper

Jun 23, 2015
Raritan, NJ
Which vape set-up would you suggest to beginners?

I'm new to vaping aswell, like been vaping for almost 6 months, and i hav and eVIC VT starter kit, i was using the eGO One tank that comes with the mod, sooner im looking for something more powerful for cloud chasing, now I'm using a Kanger Subtank with the eVIC VT. So, i guess you can try my setup, been suggesting this to others as well.
cmdVHobgW4RblFDz_19XpMWpTfo0Oj-mm4a08iu9RI0=w490-h653-no

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
As I've read many times in these forums... It's not so much what you get but learning to get the most from it. I started with an eGrip and it was powerful enough to give me the confidence that vaping would work for me. I soon realized that I would need a backup. Went out and got an Aspire ET tank with BVC coils and a little 650mah ego T battery. I was very disappointed in that setup in the beginning. Thought i had wasted my money. But after a couple of weeks it became my favorite all day vape. I've acquired several different batteries and mods but I still use that little 650mah ego battery to power my Squape RBA through a 12-14 hour day

1441220215105-1632537081.jpg

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
nautilus mini on an istick30.

OR maybe a Subtank. If it has Air control and coils available at 1.5OHM or higher.
I still think beginners should start at 1.5ohm or more, and less than 15watts. Now that does NOT mean your device should be limited to that. It should give room for growth without the need to Upgrade. The Istick 30 is a good starter mod, you can run it at 5 watts with a 2.5ohm starter clearomizer if you wanted. Then in the future if you chose a sub-ohm dripper for chucking clouds.

Reactions: Foggy Road

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Recently a buddy asked me for a setup for his Mom. He was clear about what she needed for it to work. Be easy as balls to use, and provide a better vape than a Spinner battery with a clearo.

After some contemplating, I landed on the EgoOne. Changing out the atomizer heads in the tank is a piece of cake, filling the tank with liquid is fine, and the best part I thought was that there is two different atty heads. One with a tighter, mouth inhale, and one with an open, lung inhale. But otherwise, its easy as crap to use. There is no adjusting wattage or temperature, no wrapping coils and checking ohms, no learning about advanced battery safety.. Just put juice in the tank, use the mouth inhale atty head, push the button to get vapor. Change the thing when it blinks.

Far as ease of use vs. getting a quality vape, its a tough one to beat.

Reactions: irisev

SelakQ

Sep 1, 2015
    Hi GeriLee,
    Cant agree more with Just Kidding and Susan.
    If you are lucky enough to be near by a customer friendly vape shop they might have some test devices and flavours.
    However rather than leaving you with a generic answer - and you are no where near a vape shop - I can tell you that a good starter Tank is Kanger Subtank or an Aspire Atlantis. However these tanks are far away from each other in the way they deliver the vape. A kanger is very smooth and covers a lot and is more forgiving in juice picking, spitting and so on.
    The only reason i would recommend an Aspire is that somehow the way its designed (there are many similar to the aspire) it gives a rougher throat hit but you will require a higher VG liquid when starting with the Aspire (70-80% VG might be a good start).
    However the Kanger Subtank is definitely my best bet specially with the new coil design its just perfect for a daily tank.
    You could get an Istick 30/40/50 or a provari or any other good mod.
    Wish you best of luck and hope you will be satisfied.

Reactions: ravnhaus

inspects

Squonkamaniac
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 15, 2014
    Arizona, Ecuador

A simple Spinner II (battery) with an Aspire Clearo got me off a 40 year PAD cigarette habit, since I've purchased about everything known. Every once in a while I grab the Spinner II and vape it all day, with a 1.8 ohm coil the flavor is fantastic. A 30 watt battery with a tank like a subtank mini or similar should provide you with what is necessary to kick a smoking habit, plus long battery life.

Its a good idea to have two or three backups available, not only if one breaks, but you can vape different flavors without changing anything.

ravnhaus

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 2, 2015
    I started with an eGo Twist starter kit that work great for my first year. They are inexpensive and a good way to try various juices.
    The Spinner II with a Clearo is a great upgrade.
    The Kangertech Subtank Mini has been my go-to after trying various other solutions. I carry both.
    Aspire and iLeaf make a good product. I enjoy the Atlantis II tank.
    I have many backups now!
    Various tank for various flavors.
    There is a learning curve, but it is an enjoyable ride!

markcfh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2015
    grimcity
    I think an evic vt mini kit gives a lot of future proof. Temp control is really nice with a tank, maybe not a beginners selling feature though. I think eleaf sells some 40w tc packages for a decent price, with the ijust2 tank maybe? The ijust or ego One are nice form factor, but lack some features you may want down the road. I had the kanger subox kit, I sold it to my buddy after a while.

VaporDaze

ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2015
    Denver, CO
    Do any of your friends have some that you can try? How much are you looking to spend? I like a high wattage vape and low ohms, others like low watts with higher ohms which can change what set up you get and how much you spend. Like someone mentioned earlier it might be worth it to go to a b&m and ask to try different mods before you buy one, plus if you tell them you are looking for your first setup I'm sure they will be super helpful to make sure you come back too.

madangus

ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2015
    Chicago-land
    Some thoughts about my progression the past few months...
    madangus's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Good tanks - aspire nautilus or subtank mini
    Good mods - istick 30 if you can get it for 30 or less. Sigelei mini if you like the removable battery idea

The provari (ProVape E-Cigarettes: Buy Electronic Cigarettes & Vapor Smokeless Cigs and nautilus is about the price of a couple of cartons but is a really fantastic combo, overlooked these days i think.

Haven't tried em but folks seem to like the subox kit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread